Waiting

Posted by: MacBozo

Waiting - 04/09/10 06:34 AM

Firefox 3.6.3 keeps "hanging" at "waiting for www.mactech.com" for 5 - 10 seconds lately before loading/reloading the forums. What's up with that? Pages load normally after mactech.com gets around to responding.
Posted by: neil

Re: Waiting - 04/09/10 10:08 AM

So, part of the pages for AppleCentral are pulled from the mactech.com server. The question is what is the behavior you see of either MacTech.com or MacNews.com ? This is done intentionally, and is frankly, the only way that makes sense.

And, do you see any issues on your connection -- e.g., can you ping those servers from your location.

Re: Waiting - 04/09/10 10:14 AM

I'll check later. Off to get the granddaughter now. It just began happening about a week ago. Used to connect almost immediately. It has been better the last hour or so.

Re: Waiting - 04/10/10 06:51 AM

Update this AM: No wait time.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Waiting - 04/10/10 09:13 AM

Yeah, it's a whole lot faster today.

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 04:13 PM

"Waiting for www.mactech.com..."

About 30 seconds this evening from clicking on a thread/forum/post before anything at all happens.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 04:44 PM

Maybe the hamsters got into the Doggie Downers. wink

(Name that skit?)

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
"Waiting for www.mactech.com..."

About 30 seconds this evening from clicking on a thread/forum/post before anything at all happens.
I's back to being a bit slow the last day or so, and even slower today. 10-15 secs to even start loading page content. Once it finds it it loads pretty much okay, but getting there is taking a long time.

All other websites are fine BTW.

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 05:11 PM

I think the main forum page loads a lot slower than the separate forums or threads do?

MacTech and MacNews load pretty quick though, it's the forums that are slow.

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 05:23 PM

I PM'd Neil with the ping info. Pings were between 79 and 83 ms, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm having the same issues with Safari and FF. AppleCentral, MacTech, and MacNews all load almost immediately.

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 06:19 PM

We think that this is because of the massive backend work that we're doing to merge the new sites in. We've been doing this off and on for days.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 06:21 PM

OK. Wasn't whining (much). Just wanted to ID a potential problem.

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 07:05 PM

FYI: It's really bad right now, and we're aware of it. They are working on the problem.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 07:10 PM

Problem solved. It's like the hamsters just OD'd on Puppy Uppers. Really! Smokin'!! laugh

Edit: This is so fast, I'm gettin' bed spin! Whoa! cool

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 07:11 PM

Yup, really fast here now.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 07:19 PM

Fast, but the layout is screwy.

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Waiting - 04/13/10 07:26 PM

yeah, biggerfoot started a new thread: http://forums.applecentral.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/514818/Odd_Screen#Post514818

They are aware of and are working on it