MacNews MacTech

Posted by: KateSorensen

MacNews MacTech - 03/04/10 12:34 PM

I read here and there that I can visit MacNews and/or MacTech.

Am I missing something?

Are they not the same site? Well not physically because MacNews appears on my iMac with no malfunctions, but . . .

MacTech is still mucked up in the top 1/3 or so of the site.

But, content wise, do they not both have the same/identical text/information?

or . . .

Another option: You are not finished remodeling the sites yet? I should just sit back and wait and see? smile

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/04/10 12:43 PM

I still cannot login as MacBozo at either Mactech or MacNews.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/04/10 02:20 PM

Disable all Extensions, Themes, or Add Ons in the Firefox Add Ons menu under Tools.

If it goes away re-enable them one at a time.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/04/10 02:33 PM

Basically the two pages age the same! Why would one screw up because of an ad-on?

I'll just read the MacNews page. My question mainly concerned why two pages with the same information. I do not worry about the page screwed up. smile

thanks anyway

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/04/10 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I still cannot login as MacBozo at either Mactech or MacNews.

I am curious if hundreds of new folk have been able to sign in on the new "enter to win" pages? Is the problem still just for old timer/transferees from outter space [MacMinute]?

As far as I am concerned, the problem is not yours or mine Bozo. I'll wait until they fix it -- or not.

smile

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/04/10 02:53 PM

You posted about it so I figured you wanted to try and fix it. Since it's only happening to you I'd say it's probably something in your Firefox setup, and not worth looking into on the server end.

Thanks anyway.

smile

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 01:40 PM

There are still some big changes coming, and you are simply witnessing some of the build-up to it. It's somewhat difficult to do it all at once, so this interim stuff is necessary.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Since it's only happening to you I'd say it's probably something in your Firefox setup, and not worth looking into on the server end.
Thanks anyway.
smile

or I'm the only one who's reported it? wink All kidding asside, no one would have to look up the problem on the server side afaiac. I can live with my FF setup as it is.

Anyway, I disabled all add-ons etc. Results below. Firefox.

I'm not mad, angry, upset, disappointed, etc. The fact that it does notwork for me doesn't matter.

It works in Safari, but I just like Firefox better for daily use. If I needed the MacTech page perfect, I could switch to Safari.

No kidding, I'm okay with it. smile

Posted by: neil

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 02:55 PM

I'm confused. Can you give me a screen shot of what you are seeing in MacTech and MacNews ... I'd like to see what's "not working".

FYI: They are targeted at different groups. MacTech is for geeks. MacNews is for general users. Some content overlaps.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 03:08 PM

Giz:

There are still some big changes coming, and you are simply witnessing some of the build-up to it. It's somewhat difficult to do it all at once, so this interim stuff is necessary.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

-*-*-*-*-

My lips are sealed to the end of the ride.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: neilticktin
I'm confused. Can you give me a screen shot of what you are seeing in MacTech and MacNews ... I'd like to see what's "not working".

FYI: MacNews is for general users. Some content overlaps.

That works out perfect! I am a general user and MacNews is perfect with no problems in FF for me. smile

Enlarge to see it better. I've posted something like this before in this forum several weeks ago. Since it is only my problem, I'd ignore it. Thanks Neil.

MacTech problem is in the top where I scribbled and you cannot read the words:

Here is Screen Shot of MacNews: (both screen shots have all FF add-ons, etc. turned off/disabled.) That is why I am having difficulty with Reboot wanting me to turn off this stuff. Both are your pages from your projects. Why could I get one perfect and not the other?

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 03:33 PM

I posted this one February 8, 2010:

You thought it might be cleared up with cache refreshing or something like that according to your response and we were supposed to wait overnight for results.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 05:05 PM

Both pages are OK for me with FF 3.6, X 10.6.2, MacMini 2.0 GHz core2duo, 2 GB RAM. Still, there's that login issue, though.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 05:31 PM

Since you've been good enough to post the pics could you try one more thing?

Launch Firefox while holding down the Option key.

It will start FF in Safe Mode, it takes quite a while longer to launch BTW. In the dialog box that comes up don't check mark anything, just click "Continue In Safe Mode."

Thanks Kate. smile

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/05/10 05:41 PM

I just got an idea of what this is. Stay tuned.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 08:52 AM

Kate,

Try it now.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 08:55 AM

Both still load and display correctly for me.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: neil
Kate,

Try it now.

Thanks!

Neil

Don't know what you did, but it is A-okay now Neil! Like I was trying to suggest to Reboot, didn't see how it could be my fault when MacNews [almost identical page] loaded perfectly, but MacTech did not load perfectly!

Thank yew very much.

Kate

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:16 PM

So, you were actually both right.

The problem is that there's something funky about fonts on your setup. The fonts you have are taking more space to display than what most people see.

The MacTech menus were tight, and therefore wrapping in a way that didn't work, but the MacNews menus had more breathing room, and that's why they worked.

Your screen shots gave me the idea as to the fix -- which was to trim down the MacTech menus.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:17 PM

Reboot! [edit: oops! Neil sez it was my fonts! Go figger. So give me your address and I'll send you a fifth of something wink ] I'm hardly ever right in disagreements with my friends, heh.

[/edit]

Under most circumstances, you tell me to "jump" and I'll ask "how high" smile but in this case I was pretty certain my FF was not at fault. I did think it might be some other additive on my iMac in another place, but as you see, Neil has fixed the problem.

<--Bigger Better! smile

Kate

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:19 PM

Hmmm...

But there's no ad at the top? Any idea why?

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:27 PM

Aw gee whiz. I am embarrassed! It is terrible to get caught.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:29 PM

No worries -- just wanted to be sure.

BTW: That will block content on our sites as well as much of our content is also managed by the ad system for ease.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 06:43 PM

BTW: That will block content on our sites as well as much of our content is also managed by the ad system for ease.
-*-*-*-*-

I discovered that. On the news page, where the iPhone/Touch is, there was no text in there. Wondered what it was for. When I disabled Ad-ons I saw there IS something there. smile

Only thing I read on those pages is the hourly news updates and they work just fine.

I'm probably not the only person in the world who uses Ad-Block, so they will wonder why some things on the page does not work. Guess they'll find out eventually.

I like all the jazzy new stuff you've done and appreciate the hard work. I'm just too old to be into tech stuff, ads, and neat stuff the younger folks will appreciate.

I use FlashBlock too and I know some ads, etc. on lots of pages are made using Flash. I just don't miss anything much, and my pages load faster and have less distractions.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/08/10 07:12 PM

I love it when a plan comes together.

grin

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/09/10 09:34 AM

Kate,

Some food for thought.

What do you think pays for the servers, developer time, Internet connection, and all the tremendous expenses for putting together a web site?

Wouldn't it be appropriate to show the ads? I say this not just for MacTech/MacNews, but ANY web site you get benefit from?

Like I said ... food for thought.

Thanks!

Neil
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/09/10 10:23 AM

I agree and in fact I try to remember to click on some ads, even though I may never buy anything, just to try to help out.

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/09/10 10:24 AM

Thanks!
Posted by: Lea

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/09/10 11:39 AM

Me, too. I consider it a form of exploring. And it's simply considerate. I don't ad block anywhere I cruise.

The only ads that bother me are pop ups and roll overs that eat my screen. I figure those suckers hurt a site in the long run, but probably not.

Anyway, please consider this post my high five and show of solidarity.

LL

Posted by: carp

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/09/10 09:04 PM

Yeah

I don't ad block anything either , plus sometimes theres some hot babes in there laugh

When I do remember I try to click on ads in MacTech .

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/09/10 09:06 PM

We appreciate it!

Re: MacNews MacTech - 03/10/10 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: neil
Kate,
Some food for thought.
What do you think pays for the servers, developer time, Internet connection, and all the tremendous expenses for putting together a web site?
Wouldn't it be appropriate to show the ads? I say this not just for MacTech/MacNews, but ANY web site you get benefit fr
Like I said ... food for thought.
Thanks!
Neil

Okay, I'll turn ads on! smile