BB Buddies

Posted by: yoyo52

BB Buddies - 02/11/10 02:57 PM

What the heck is that? I was aiming to click on a thread, but clicked on Lea's name instead, and saw that she's got this thing--UBB Buddies on her user page. So I clicked on my own, and I have the same thing. What is it? How do you do it? What does it mean? And most important, who the heck is BritneyloverII???
Posted by: Lea

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 03:11 PM

I guarantee you I don't know who Britneyloverll is. And there's one other name on mine that I guarantee you I sure as hell didn't put there. If you can't guess which name it is, then your guesser is severely broken.

Whoa. Just Whoa! Thing is, it's not even remotely correct, compared to the list of Buddies I have in My Stuff ~ Folks that I PM with a lot. Maybe it's peeps who've sent us PMs? Weird, very very weird.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 03:17 PM

I just looked again.

(Users that have added me) <--------- That's at the top of the little gallery.

OK. Are they stalking us? I mean, I'm OK with a couple of mine. But that one in particular? Nooooooo, not really. Definitely creepy.

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 03:20 PM

I only have three - and I know them.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 04:07 PM

WE'RE BEING STALKED!!

wink
Posted by: carp

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 04:14 PM

Is this have something to do with offering the Dinos as a Prize ? ?

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 04:17 PM

Lea

No disrespect to your Hubbie but I did click on you too laugh Sweet cakes

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 04:20 PM

xxxxxxxxxx

Posted by: Jim_

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

I guarantee you I don't know who Britneyloverll is. And there's one other name on mine that I guarantee you I sure as hell didn't put there. If you can't guess which name it is, then your guesser is severely broken.
Spammers, AndyColemants is banned already. Them and BritneyloverII and 12 others all registered from the same place within a month back in summer 07. I have 3 or 4 spammers in mine. I don't know how to get rid of them yet.

Old spoiled spam, or does it go bad. I don't know how the buddies are being added though, I have only 3 I've added in My Stuff, I'm pathetic. Well 4 now, I added you. grin

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 09:22 PM

It's about time, buddy. Add two more and we're even. wink

Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: BB Buddies - 02/11/10 10:37 PM

UBB Buddies is really just for sending private messages.

Add someone as a buddy then they show up in your "buddy list" dropdown menu when you create a new private message.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 06:52 AM

Sarge, when you're cruisin' one of the forums, and you click on the OP's name under the thread head/topic ~ "By SgtBaxter" ~ the OP's profile pops up now. And that's cool, but there's this bizarro little gallery of peeps who supposedly have added you to their list.

I guarantee you I've got a name on mine that . . . uh . . . doesn't make much sense. And the other folks that show up on mine, no problem, but that little gallery doesn't match up with my own My Stuff peeps.

It's no biggee, but it is weird.

Edit: Time Stamp ~ 8:53

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 06:55 AM

As long as he doesn't catch on to the Dinos? We're cool.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:00 AM

Playing around with it? I think it's peeps who have added you to their "Watched Users" list. Check that option out in your My Stuff stuff.

OK. That really has some creepy potential. Personally? That's a feature I'd nuke.

Funny thing is, fiddling around with it just now? I'm now "watching" carp. Nobody else, just him. And God love ya, carp, I don't know how to stop "watching" you.

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:15 AM

To remove buddies, go to My Stuff at the top, then to Buddies (it's listed on the left side), then select which ones you want to remove. Then hit the Remove Selected User button.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:17 AM

That gallery is the "Buddies" that you put there to PM or check up on the most. I guess it's kind of a shortcut to PM someone.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:25 AM

I didn't put the 3 that I have there. Maybe they added me to their list?

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:28 AM

No, John. It says up at the top (and it's small, but it's there) ~ (Users that have added me)

Trust me, I haven't put Cel on my PM list, I don't check up on her.

I understand the Buddy List in My Stuff, and I've got 6 peeps on mine. But if I'm looking in at one of the forums, and I click on somebody's OP name, right under his original topic post, I get the new Gallery that says "Users that have added me" ~ this is how it is for everybody, not just Lea, me. I also see an option to add the OP to my "Watched" list. I didn't even know we could do this till just this AM. I did it with carp, and now I have an extra page in My Stuff, that lists every post carp has ever made.

It's a looooooooong list.

My point ~ This gallery thing isn't something that I've generated. It's weird, and I know why it bothers me, but that's . . . just me.

Edit: This happens in both threaded and flat mode. Just to be clear.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
To remove buddies, go to My Stuff at the top, then to Buddies (it's listed on the left side), then select which ones you want to remove. Then hit the Remove Selected User button.
We can remove those that we added that way, but can't remove those that show up when viewing one's profile, which were not added by us but by the other users.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 09:09 AM

ok, oops, I read that wrong. Sorry.

As for this:
Quote:
But if I'm looking in at one of the forums, and I click on somebody's OP name, right under his original topic post, I get the new Gallery that says "Users that have added me" ~ this is how it is for everybody, not just Lea, me.

Can you take a screen shot and show me? Because I don't see that with mine. I'm at work on a winblows machine, so I can't take a screen shot.

But what I see when I click on a name in a thread, and not just the OP, is this list:
View Profile
Send a PM
Add to your User's watchlist
View Posts

Now, if I choose View Profile, then I see the UBB Buddies, but not in that drop down window that (to me at least) it sounds like what you are seeing.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 09:14 AM

In your Profile View (from simply clicking and selecting on your name):

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 09:39 AM

Like Michael described the action, this is what we're getting. This is specifically what I get when I click on my name, displayed under a topic I've posted, when I'm in "forum" view, that is looking at the page of topics (not after I've clicked into a thread and started reading).

xxxxxx

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 10:26 AM

Yeah, I know about that. I just thought she was seeing it when she was reading a thread and clicked on the OP's name.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:06 AM

OK--call me dumb [/waits for jokes to subside], but what does OP mean?

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:24 AM

Okay, you're dumb.

Other Person/Poster.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:28 AM

It means Original Poster ~ Kinda like Thread Starter. Or better, Fire Starter.

Good Lord, I can't be the only one that hangs out in non-Mac fora, right?

Right?

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:32 AM

Okay, call me dumb.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:43 AM

There are "other" fora? shocked

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:45 AM

Okay your dumb laugh

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 11:58 AM

My dumb what?

Don't answer that. grin
Posted by: katlpablo

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 01:08 PM

Lea, someone has suggested that it has to do with private messaging.

Maybe it has to do with the still active private threads, or with private threads that haven't been deleted.

Could it be that when one sends a private message you automatically appear as a Buddy? Maybe Celandine and BritneyloverII sent you an email a long time ago and they're still somewhere in your private messages list.

I have only a few private messages so i can't tell if there's a relationship like i suggested above.

smile

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 01:23 PM

Interesting suggestion, but ~ I blow out my PMs on a regular basis, and the gallery of "added me to the list" in my case, includes a couple of peeps I've never done the PM with.

Call me crazy (I know, too easy), but other than our Mods? Nuke this feature. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should be able to "follow" somebody else's posts all over the forum. It just reeks of creep.

That said, kat, I'd like to think it's just some bizarro anomaly that happened on the side with Neil and co. doing some major reconstruction here. But I've been there, been stalked. I believe it's a weirdo feature that we just didn't understand is there unless we really worked at trying to follow somebody around in this particular fora set.

Did I mention call me crazy, because it's just so easy?

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 01:32 PM

I think the "watch user" feature has been there. Yeah, it's handy for us Mods even though I never use it.

As for BB buddies...it is a bit strange that you can't control who adds you. At least don't show me who added me.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 04:04 PM

It's creepy. I can get put on somebody's "watch" list? Please.

I have no problem with y'all, as mods, doing much of anything. But, that we as members, can log in and ask the software here to follow somebody else's posts? I'm overusing creepy ~ But, yeah. It's creepy.

So, what are the odds I can personally get y'all to nuke this feature for everybody but y'all?

You don't want to know how serious my request is. Just tell me it's something y'all will consider? Please?

MuchoSeriousLoveLea

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 04:18 PM

You've always been able to do the same by going to Show User's Posts in someone's profile, but getting an email for each post does seem a little creepy.

There probably won't be a ton of change if any till after MacWorld and Neil gets back.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 04:33 PM

What creeps me out is that peeps can do the not-so obvious, and make it a part of their everyday check in ~ Give themselves full access to every post of whatever forum peep they want to follow? That's just creepy. I don't want to have to deal with that kind of bizarro. Kill that option for everybody except y'all. Please.

LL

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 05:05 PM

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 05:16 PM

The watched thing has to go but it's going to be a bit probably, we mods can't do it. I don't see any way to know who is watching you either.

To make sure sure it's all clear though, you know UBB Buddies is totally separate from Watched Users. The Buddies you see that have added you aren't watching you. They clicked the Add to UBB Buddies when they were viewing your profile, or the bot did.

Buddies is just an address book of user names I guess.

It's on the list of suggestions for when he gets back. cool

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 06:00 PM

"The Buddies you see that have added you aren't watching you. They clicked the Add to UBB Buddies when they were viewing your profile."

Duh?!? OK. They didn't add. It just says they did by accident? Think about it. Cel???? Why does it say "User has added . . ."?? Duh and Duh. I'm out of this loop. It obviously bothers me more than I want to talk about.

Very much over and out on this.

Last shot? Fix it.

Thank You.
LL

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 06:07 PM

Hey! Add me as a buddy - let's see if you show up in my list.

OK. That's weird! I can add myself to Reboot's UBB Buddies, but I can't add people to my UBB Buddies via my profile. Maybe it should require approval from the affected user? Yeah, I'd think the "Watch User" option should be turned off.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:10 PM

Hey

The only thing worth watching is the Babe Magnet - the (Dinos)

Everything else is a waste of time laugh

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:16 PM

You need to go to their profile to get the option.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:20 PM

I saw that, I can add myself to your UBB Buddies, but I can't add folks to my UBB Buddies. I can remove myself from your list as well.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:52 PM

Where do you go to remove yourself from my list?

Where do you go to try and add people to your Buddies? If you go to anybody's profile here does it look like this. With their picture of course. grin

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 07:56 PM

Yes. When I clicked "Add to UBB Buddies" in your profile, it added me to your Buddies. Once added, the "Add to UBB Buddies" changes to "Remove from UBB Buddies." Clicking that removes me.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 08:14 PM

When you said "but I can't add folks to my UBB Buddies." a couple of posts above I'm not sure what you meant. If you go to their profile you don't have the same choices as when at mine?

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 08:20 PM

When I go to my profile, there is no add option. I can only add myself to other people's profiles.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/12/10 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
When I go to my profile, there is no add option.
That's the way it works, you have to go to the other users profile get the add option.

Here's all I get when I go to my profile, there is no add option there.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/13/10 06:19 AM

Yeah, you can only add yourself to someone else's UBB Buddies.

Re: BB Buddies - 02/14/10 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
I think the "watch user" feature has been there. Yeah, it's handy for us Mods even though I never use it.
Yeah, after a bit more research it seems the feature has always been here, we just never noticed it I guess.

Giz says it's been around here since MacCentral. He also made a good point, if somebody is concerned about their privacy, they shouldn't be posting in a public web forum.

Just wanted to update everybody.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: BB Buddies - 02/15/10 09:51 AM

Wow, you folks are spending waaaaaayyy too much energy on a silly and benign old UBB feature smile

Re: BB Buddies - 02/15/10 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Wow, you folks are spending waaaaaayyy too much energy on a silly and benign old UBB feature smile
Well excuuuuuse us for boring you. grin

I guess jerks need a special purpose. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymucqmjJs20&feature=related