MacTech Beta Feedback

Posted by: KateSorensen

MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/08/10 10:15 PM

<-- Click bigger

Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/08/10 10:25 PM

Some add-on maybe? Disable any you have. It looks okay in FF 3.5.7 here.

You're also missing the yellow banner that goes across beneath the drop downs.
Posted by: neil

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/08/10 10:48 PM

it's possible that as we're trying to turn higher end caching on tonight that that is causing issues.

see if it happens again in the morning.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/09/10 06:57 AM

Looks fine to me this morning. Nice look - clean. cool

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/09/10 07:00 AM

The login to register for the raffles is not accepting my forum login info.

Edit: won't create new account either.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/09/10 07:45 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
The login to register for the raffles is not accepting my forum login info.

Edit: won't create new account either.
Exactly what happened when you tried? Did you use MacBozo? Try logging out of the forums first.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/11/10 01:44 PM

I did not do nuttin to Firefox or ad-ons but today the site looks A-OK on my screen.

Bigger? Click

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/11/10 01:51 PM

Still a no go today.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/11/10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Still a no go today.

I have the same problem, it won't accept my password.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:03 PM

Still no registering possible.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Still no registering possible.

Can you do me a favor and "empty cache" and try again? This should be working now (to register on the main MacTech.com or MacNews.com sites). Once you are logged in there, you should be logged in here on the forums automagically.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:25 PM

I've tried registering at the main site, and at the raffle site both. I've emptied the cache. Haven't tried FF yet. That's next.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:30 PM

Well, FF doesn't work either.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:33 PM

Tried logging out from the forums and logging in to the Magazine--no joy. Oh, and I deleted the cache between logging out and trying to log in.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:33 PM

What happens, what kind of message does it give? Did you try logging out of here first?

Have you tried just logging in at the main site with your info from here?

Edit - You're psychic.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:35 PM

Yes to the yes-no questions. I don't get a message other than user not recognized. I tried to set up a new account as well, and that didn't work either.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:35 PM

Could it be cookies Neil?

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Could it be cookies Neil?

Without a doubt. Any modern site will use cookies - and we're making even more extensive use of them in the connection of the main site to the forums.

If you have cookies turned off, then that's the problem.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:37 PM

I've tried registering at the main site, and at the raffle site both. I've emptied the cache. Haven't tried FF yet. That's next.

Try it again now. I just cleared the system caches.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 04:43 PM

Still no luck with FF. The username field turns red after I try to log in, by the way, and the same happens if I try to create a new account. I've been using my usual username and password. Maybe I should try a different one combination? Or will that jut screw things up completely?

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 05:53 PM

did you try a recover password?
Posted by: yoyo1952

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 05:57 PM

I changed everything, Neil--now I'm a newbie smile

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 06:23 PM

I'm now on the other computer, and am logged into my original account. The funny thing is that I can't log into the original account on my laptop, where I changed things.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 06:35 PM

I tried the following in Safari first, no cache cleaning, didn't quit Safari. I did log out of both sides first though.

I registered a new user at MacTech. After I clicked register it brought me to this, Log-in successful, but access denied;

It didn't show me as logged in under the User/Login menu on the main site, it still had the Login option.

Then I clicked on the Forums link from the main page, but instead of bringing me to the forums it brought me to the user agreement screen for the forums instead, so it actually did go through the process of logging me on but didn't show it at the main site. I agreed, it logged me in, but oddly my unread posts matched my Reboot account, it should have shown all posts unread. I had been logged in as Reboot before logging out.

It still didn't show me logged in at the main site though even though it had logged me into the forums. I then went back to the main site and I was able to successfully log in. I then logged out of both sides. I then logged in at the main site again and it logs me in to both that and the forums. So once the glitch of registering has passed it works as expected.

Logging in the second time, then going to the forum showed all posts unread like it should have.

I then tried all of the above in FireFox with another new user, except FF was clean, cleared all cookies and caches and restarted FF. It did the exact same thing as above, except for the unread post count thing, it showed all unread like it should have.

Edit - If I log in at the forums it doesn't automatically log me in at the main site like logging it at the main site automatically logs me into the forums. Will the forum log in link be gone eventually?

Edit #2 - I didn't try logging in to MacNews.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 06:37 PM

I'm now on the other computer, and am logged into my original account. The funny thing is that I can't log into the original account on my laptop, where I changed things.
Log out of both sides first, the main site and the forums.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 06:56 PM

What site are you guyz trying to log in on? MacTech or MacNews? I tried both and neither will let me use starmillway or KateSorensen. I do not need another email address.

By the way, MacNews doesn't have the problems with fonts in Firefox that MacTech does -- for me, anyway.

Want bigger -- you know how smile

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 06:58 PM

Ha! I'm now my regular old self on the laptop too. Thanks, Reboot smile

And AFAIK, Kate, the two MacTech sites have the same log in. I'm not a-going to try now, though smile

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 07:21 PM

Should logging in at one place log us in at all of them? If I log in at Mactech it logs me in to that and the forums, but not MacNews. I can log in to MacNews, but it doesn't log me into anything else.

Also when logged in at MacNews, under User/Login, Login still shows as an option. It doesn't show Login at MacTech when logged in. Image below.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 09:12 PM

Next wrinkle. In Firefox only, Safari doesn't seem to do it, if I log out of MacTech it logs me out of there and the forums, but if I log back in to MacTech it won't automatically log me into the forums anymore. I have to log out of MacTech and quit FireFox, then when I launch FF and log back in to MacTech it logs me into both.

At one point during all this logging in and out MacTech lost my login. I could log in, it said successful, but I would go to the forums and still wasn't logged in. I then went back to MacTech and I was logged out. I repeated it, logged in at MacTech, clicked to the forums, clicked back to MacTech, and was not logged in anymore.

Then I logged in again and it gave this;

Under User/Login it said Logout so I was logged in, it just wouldn't let me access http://www.mactech.com/users/Reboot page after logging in. I got what happened in the image above.

I then came over to Safari to type up this post. After being away from FF for a while the automatically logging out or Access Denied isn't happening now, but it still won't log me in to both unless I first log out of MacTech and quit FF.

Edit - Changes are in red.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/20/10 09:59 PM

I quit Safari, when I relaunched I was no longer logged into the forums, but I was still logged into MacTech. The only way to stay logged into the forums after a Quit is if I login using the forum login link on the forums page and check Remember Me. Something is not right with the cookies obviously.

After logging in and out a few times, and bouncing around back and forth between the forums and MacTech with log ins and outs, at one point it gave me the Access Denied again like happened in Firefox. Multiple log ins and outs seems to bring it on, might it be a flood control of some kind?

Edit - Sorry, I can't think of any better way to explain this. The only change was the red type.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 05:47 AM

I'm not sure how or why the registration system has turned into such a mess, but I almost feel like the entire thing needs to get nuked and just have everyone re-register with new accounts - AFTER the new forums come online and the databases are combined, etc...

I still can't log-in, register, or request a password update to my existing "MacGizmo" username. Yet it states that it exists, as does the email address I use for it. Obviously any "automated" method to fixing this isn't working.
Posted by: carp

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 11:21 AM

Humm , that is interesting .

I don't seem to have any problems with Safari . When log into the forums , I seem to be log into MacTech news page as well (home page) <-- am I on the same page ? I can't duplicate the problems that are mentioned ?

Could setting have something to do with it ? Like threaded -vs- flat view ?

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 11:55 AM

Would love it if you guys can give me some reproducible step-by-step sequence here. I think there's an issue, but I'm unable to lock it down.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 12:27 PM

OK Neil, this is what I did last night.

First the failures: I was logged into the forums, went over to the MacTech home page and tried to log in with my forum username and password. I couldn't. Instead, the username field turned red.

Still logged into the forums, I then tried to create a login account at the MacTech new account page, using my forum username and password. I couldn't create an account. Again, the username field, this time in the New Account part of the page, turned red.

I then tried both of those things after clearing the cache. Still no luck.

I then tried both of those things after logging out of the forum and clearing the cache. No luck--and again, the red input field.

Then Reboot suggested that I log out of the forum and created a new account with a different email and username and password from my forum log in. That worked, and the log in at the MacTech home page logged me into the forum as well. But then to revert to my old username account, I had to log out of both forum and homepage and then log in with the old username and password.

Trying to log into the MacTech home page with the old username and password still does not work, however--I get the username field in red.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: neilticktin
Would love it if you guys can give me some reproducible step-by-step sequence here. I think there's an issue, but I'm unable to lock it down.

I tried here
. frown

I'll look over my other posts in this thread later and see if they need clarified, but I tried to be pretty concise with pictures and all.
Posted by: Silver_Moon

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 01:01 PM

Login worked perfectly for me!

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 03:11 PM

Logged in to the forums and then try to log in to MacTech:

Posted by: sockit2me

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 03:25 PM

My sock that I created to test this works fine, though.

*I thought you killed this sock, Reboot! laugh

Now, I can't login to the forums as MacBozo. crazy

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 03:32 PM

OK! I'm back. Had to logout of both the forums and MacTech.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 04:09 PM

That's what i did. It worked.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 04:12 PM

Still working for me! I must be special. laugh

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 07:54 PM

We still cannot see "Who's Online"

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 08:36 PM

http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/online

smile

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 08:50 PM

There are two registered members who are hidden away!

And you'll all be comforted to know that there are no spiders on line.

Don't know what Ziggy will say about that. But I like it.

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/21/10 08:57 PM

Who are those mystery members?

grin

Re: MacTech Beta Feedback - 02/22/10 10:03 AM

Omniscience as well as ominipresence. I'm getting impressed! smile