Quick Reply Box?

Posted by: katlpablo

Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 03:43 PM

The "Quick Reply:" box appears after the open post and before the "Threaded Mode" posts and at the end of the "Flat Mode" posts.

In both cases all readable post have a "Quick Reply" and "Quick Quote" buttons that interest people that are in a hurry to post. My experience is that even though I may start in the "Quick Reply:" box I always end up switching to the "Full Reply Screen" looking for smilies, creating links, bold text, or others.

It seems to me that the QRBox occupies a lot of space and makes the user scroll a bit extra.

I would —frankly— wink eliminate that box or have an option to close it. smile
Posted by: Svend

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 03:57 PM

I love the quick reply, especially if I don't have time for smileys
Posted by: neil

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 04:57 PM

I love the quick reply as well ... but I'll ask if there's a user preference.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 05:53 PM

I like it myself.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 06:00 PM

My only problem ~ I hit preview and I'm so used to waiting, that I stare through it for a couple of beats. But I'm gettin' past that in a hurry.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 06:04 PM

Preview is nice too. I'm still getting used to the quickness as well. I'll click Preview and then go off, do some coding, etc. then I remember I don't have to wait for the page to refresh. Ah well, keeps me working I guess. laugh

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 06:15 PM

I used to play LinkLines waiting for a post to post. Verrrry Really.

Posted by: FSM

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/12/08 08:44 PM

i like quick reply -- i think i switch to full reply about 1/2 of the time. and often that's because i want to add a link. little do i know, links are automatically made and i don't have to switch to full reply. i'll learn that yet.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/13/08 10:46 AM

Quick reply is awesome! ...so is auto linking! wink

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 05:39 AM

Ok, I realize now that the quick reply box is a popular feature. smile

How about moving it to the bottom of the threaded list when on the "Threaded Mode"?

It's at the bottom of the list of posts in the "Flat Mode"! smile And if you click on the "Quick Reply:" or "Quick Quote" buttons the cursor will jump directly down to it.

smile

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 06:24 AM

Threaded? I didn't think anyone used Threaded mode anymore.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 07:38 AM

I do!… Sorry. I must be sick or crazy.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 07:55 AM

I love the quick reply feature. I use HTML or UBBCode and know the tags by heart anyway, so I rarely have the need to go into the full reply screen.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 07:56 AM

I never understood the fascination with Threaded mode. To me it just adds a whole lot of unnecessary clicking to read a thread.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 08:15 AM

I'm a dedicated threaded-er. For me, flat just adds unnecessary scrolling and it's harder for me to get who's talking to who. Plus, with threaded, I can tell with one look what's new. Now granted, it screws with a good word association thread.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I never understood the fascination with Threaded mode. To me it just adds a whole lot of unnecessary clicking to read a thread.
I thought this was a matter of personal preference. I didn't realize that I had to justify myself! But here goes:
  • I can see the whole thread in one page and know where the unread posts are.
  • I can follow the sub-threads without having to look for the replies to each particular post. This way I can read them all in order, as a unit.
Are you suggesting the option shouldn't exist? Do you have a 'flat threaded' mode? What's your option for my fascination?

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 08:37 AM

And I'm one of those posters that just replies with quick reply in flat mode. Most of the time it's not the correct sub thread.

Sorry if I screw up the flow for the threaded people. Well not really.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I love the quick reply feature. I use HTML or UBBCode and know the tags by heart anyway, so I rarely have the need to go into the full reply screen.
Maybe Moderators can use HTML. Users can't.

But HTML is beside the point of my request on this sub-thread (I have already acknowledged the popularity of the "Quick Reply" box). The point is that the "Quick Reply" box be moved to the bottom of the threaded list. As you can read:

Originally Posted By: katlpablo
OK, I realize now that the quick reply box is a popular feature. smile

How about moving it to the bottom of the threaded list when on the "Threaded Mode"?

It's at the bottom of the list of posts in the "Flat Mode"! smile And if you click on the "Quick Reply:" or "Quick Quote" buttons the cursor will jump directly down to it.

smile

Would this be a problem for many of the supposedly 'few' that use that odd "Threaded Mode"?

The reason for my request appears in the original post:
It seems to me that the QRBox occupies a lot of space and makes the user scroll a bit extra.

I would —frankly— wink eliminate that box or have an option to close it. smile

My whole request thing now comes down to moving down the box or have an option to close it. smile

This request as other requests or suggestions I have made have —at the time of this posting— been ignored, not acknowledged and are unanswered. The decisions are yours.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 09:32 AM

This doesn't need to become an issue. It is what it is, not what it used to be. That can take a little getting used to, but ~ and please, no offense intended here ~ If we make a request and it's not implemented, it's nothing personal.

Unless they take away my threaded view.

Edit: I've never understood why peeps think a forum is a democracy. It's not. Which is good, otherwise we'd sink to mob rule on a regular basis and that would be really hard on the readership. Again, this ain't personal. Just my two centavos.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:09 AM

Uh, nobody said you had to justify why you like the threaded mode. Both MacGizmo and I just don't understand why people use it anymore. You could have easily ignored it (since it wasn't a question) or said "hey, because I like it that way".

And just because nobody has done what you requested doesn't mean anything. It could mean:

• 1. The developer of the software has to be involved to do it
    2. It's not a big request, and may mess up the other settings.
    3. It's on the list to do, just give them time

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:12 AM

I'm just making a request; not demanding that it be implemented. All I expect is an answer from the administration:

yes-no. (crudely)
or
yes-no + an explanation that the request is inconvenient or imposible. (friendly)

I get from them: 1-no answer (OK, I'll have to live with that) or 2-'strange that you use threaded mode, it's useless' [paraphrasing 2 Moderators]. How is 2- not personal when added to 1- impersonal?

—————————— ——————————

Excuse me Lea. This has nothing to do with my attitude towards you. smile

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:14 AM

This request as other requests or suggestions I have made have —at the time of this posting— been ignored, not acknowledged and are unanswered. The decisions are yours.

Uh, it was acknowledged by Neil himself

Let me look at your other requests.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:16 AM

I'm just making a request; not demanding that it be implemented. All I expect is an answer from the administration:

yes-no. (crudely)
or
yes-no + an explanation that the request is inconvenient or imposible. (friendly)

I get from them: 1-no answer (OK, I'll have to live with that) or 2-'strange that you use threaded mode, it's useless' [paraphrasing 2 Moderators]. How is 2- not personal when added to 1- impersonal?

see my response up there as for acknowledging it. The moderators cannot make changes to the actual forum software. But, as users, we can make our opinion known too.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:17 AM

And the answer is?

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:20 AM

You don't have responsibilities as Moderators?

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 10:30 AM

Are you answering as an User or as an Moderator?
Posted by: neil

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 12:33 PM

Guys,

I've talked to Rick, and this is something that he'll look at for a feature for a future version, but it's not doable right now.

Since most people like the QuickReply, I think we'll leave it as is.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 01:09 PM

Quote:
And the answer is?

so there is your answer katlpablo. It stays the same.

And for the record, I only speak for myself unless you get a PM from me. So, the answer is user.

Quote:

Not sure what that has to do with anything in this thread?

Please carry this on in PM with me as this is getting way OT.

Thanks.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Quote:
And the answer is?
so there is your answer katlpablo. It stays the same.

And for the record, I only speak for myself unless you get a PM from me. So, the answer is user.

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with anything in this thread?

Please carry this on in PM with me as this is getting way OT.

Thanks.
You say the answer stays the same. However, Neil said: "I'll ask if there's a user preference" in his first post. Now he says: "it's not doable right now". To me the latter is an answer.
Originally Posted By: neilticktin
Guys,
I've talked to Rick, and this is something that he'll look at for a feature for a future version, but it's not doable right now.
Since most people like the QuickReply, I think we'll leave it as is.
Thanks!
Neil

You're saying your answer is user; that you only speak for yourself. Your "Display Name" has flag with an M, and your "Status" is "Global Moderator" yet you claim to speak as a user. Should I consider all "Display Names" with a flag with an M as Users and react to them as users? And what if the flag had an A instead of an M should I consider that as a user too?

Does being a Moderator have any meaning? confused Even when you're responding to a suggestion that I make on the forum "Site Feedback & Bug Reports", even though your ID says Moderator, you see fit to answer as a casual user!

So wearing the uniform (the M flag rank on your name) doesn't bear any responsibility with respect to us all in the MacTech Forums? You, apparently, can act as you will. I think this policy is an error that Mactech will end up regretting. The Moderator's job is generally to keep the social interchange in the forums in-tune, not to do as he pleases.

If you want to act as casual user, with no official responsibilities, find yourself an alternate "Display Name" that carries no rank. Then you can say whatever {the censored} you feel like.

If you really want to continue privately this interchange of opinions, start by answering this message or any part of it privately, and I'll follow accordingly. Since you yourself have said "I only speak for myself unless you get a PM from me", you can continue by sending me the "Official" PMs.

Thank you.

Re: Quick Reply Box? - 11/14/08 05:11 PM

Well, shut my mouth and shades of flippin' itchy.