Forum going away?

Posted by: Jim_

Forum going away? - 11/10/08 01:46 PM

Bummer.

This forum was always a way to keep tech questions somewhat separate. They tend to get buried in the Lounge. Unless there is a plan to have a tech forum when we combine with the other forums?

Posted by: neil

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 01:47 PM

Reboot:

Look on the main page -- there's a TON of new forums to handle this better. I think you'll like this!

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 01:48 PM

Look at the new sub-areas. They kinda make this forum irrelevant, don't they? Unless, it can be kept as a general tech info area for things that can't be readily categorized.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 01:50 PM

Oh, I see, the scroll bar does come in handy sometimes, scroll down. LOL.
Posted by: neil

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 01:52 PM

Yeah -- over time, you'll have less scrolling to do as well -- for example, the general forum won't be taking up space. smile
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 02:13 PM

Seems like a lot of useful new forums.

On the flip side, since I won't bother browsing all of them, I'll miss a lot that I would have seen when there was just one forum to check.
Posted by: keymaker

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 02:35 PM

Quote:
Seems like a lot of useful new forums.

I dunno - I think we need a few more splits... I mean look at all the combined forums 'Applications AND Peripherals', 'Games AND Entertainment' - that could be four instead of two... I've just worked out that it would be possible to get to about 161 forums. smirk

km

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 02:38 PM

Only 161? laugh

Actually, we'll probably see some split and others combined over time depending on the amount of traffic.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 02:49 PM

Yeah, we need a Democrats and Republicans forum. That way, members in each forum can talk about each other without the hassle of seeing opposing viewpoints! wink

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 02:52 PM

Nah, we need a puppy to kick from time to time. wink
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 03:06 PM

Well, the village is getting their idiot back in January, so I suppose the Soapbox will be somewhat slow for a while anyway.

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 03:08 PM

There are a couple of Box denizens who will keep us entertained. whistle

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 03:28 PM

FYI, here's where you can choose what goes in your Watched Forums:
http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/editforums

And here's where you then view those forums consolidated into a single list:
http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/myhome/tab/forums

Under link #1 I'm selecting everything except the Lounge, Feedback, and Politics. Then I'm bookmarking link #2, which should approximate the old General forum, as my main entry to the forums.
Posted by: carp

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 03:43 PM

The only problem with to MANY forums is the "break down" in a conversation that then leads into a similar subject which thens leads you to another part of the forum ?

Believe me to many divisions is not a good thing

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 05:21 PM

I've seen that go very badly with a brand new forum that needs to gather momentum--and with older forums when momentum comes and goes. I always advise people not to split their forums until traffic is so massive that it's a problem not to.
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 05:27 PM

Too bad - this place is becoming overwhelming, like many others have done in the past... and disappeared altogether. It was perfect before ANY of the tweaking began. Now it's rapidly becoming a graphic eyesore and over-categorized mess.
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Forum going away? - 11/10/08 05:59 PM

I'll add my 2 cents as well.

There's FAR too many categories. There's no way I'll be checking them all out and that's too bad since I might miss something interesting.

Another thing, from my experience with other forums, having too many choices actually becomes confusing to newbies.

I belong to a very popular Canadian Mac forum which has kept things simple. They have one forum each for Mac/Apple discussion, iPod/iTunes/iPhone/AppleTV, a trouble shooting forum, a lounge area.