Different indicators for read/not read?

Posted by: Lea

Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/08/08 01:53 PM

Neil or Rick ~ Is this something y'all can do within a thread? I ask because when I'm reading through the posts in threaded mode (actually, that's the only way I read through a post), it's not always easy to see what's recent. The time fix helped tremendously, thanks.

When a topic gets a whole bunch of replies, they often branch and if the little folders next to each reply were behaving like the folders next to each topic (white = read, yellow = not read), it would make it so much easier to follow the conversation.

I do like that clicking into a topic takes me to the most recent post, but if there have been several previous to that, that I haven't read yet . . . I swear I was gonna wait a couple of daze to bring this up, because y'all have worked so long and hard, and you've been so responsive to all our concerns and requests. I know! Pretend like I didn't bring it up, and then come back and read this post, say Monday or Tuesday. wink And TIA for however this feature request gets handled.

smile
LL

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/08/08 04:14 PM

Y'all. Are. AWESOME!!!

cool laugh cool laugh cool laugh cool laugh cool laugh cool laugh cool laugh

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/08/08 06:10 PM

Acting a bit strangely for me. I'm now taken to the thread starter and when I click on a response, they all turn white. Also, threads I've viewed are showing all yellow folders on the replies until I click on one.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/08/08 06:27 PM

Same here. I'm guessing that the "all yellows" are in threads I hadn't revisited till after this feature was incorporated earlier this evening.

But, yeah, if there are 5 new replies (with the very cool easy to spot yellow folders), and I read one, the other 4 turn white. Which I can deal with ~ OK, unless it's over at the SoapBox. Damn, those people post a lot. You'd think they have something serious to talk about, huh? wink

Posted by: Phosphor

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 12:15 AM

I spy with my graphics-geek eye:

The flaming animated GIF for "Hot" threads is kind of annoying. If there MUST be an indicator like that (& I don't think it's necessary AT ALL) it would be better as a static image. Personally, I prefer a simple color change for the thread's folder icon.

People that are complaining about the side-column links might be less distracted by them if the searing brightness of the blue was toned down a little. But I understand if you don't change the link color because of a love affair you have with longstanding "official" MacTECH color scheme.

Want a bigger passel of more attractive SmileyCons? I'd be happy to assemble an alternative set for you. Just let me know through a P.M.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 06:34 AM

In the cause of fair and balanced ~ I'm fine with the blue links, and it's gotta be good for our online mental health to give in to the temptation to explore outside of the forums here. I'm fine with the flaming threads, especially in LeBox where they seem especially appropriate. But I do miss our leetle smileys.

However, knowing that you do have a very discerning eye, phos, I respect your opinions concerning form, as mine are limited to function.

LL

Posted by: neil

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 11:41 AM

See if that's a little better. I'm no designer ... remember.

Neil

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Phosphor
The flaming animated GIF for "Hot" threads is kind of annoying. If there MUST be an indicator like that (& I don't think it's necessary AT ALL) it would be better as a static image. Personally, I prefer a simple color change for the thread's folder icon.

Take a look now. Again, I am NOT a designer.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 12:17 PM

I'm liking it, a lot. But I'm not a designer, I just do their tech work. laugh The yellow folders are definitely better, with their red edge. They all still turn back to white after reading one post, but it's a huge improvement in terms of picking the latest posts out of a long thread.

Wait a minute. It's Sunday. You ought to be out catchin' some rays. wink

LL

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea
Wait a minute. It's Sunday. You ought to be out catchin' some rays. wink

Unfortunately, I'm so far behind right now ... there's no difference to any day of the week. frown

Neil

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 12:28 PM

Sooooo been there, done that. Hey, we're in fantastic shape, you and Rick, et al have done a gargantuan job. Put us on the back burner, I promise we're* so happy here, we won't care. Really.

LL

*Disclaimer: I don't speak for everyone, although I do get pretty mouthy, so it can seem that way. wink

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 01:18 PM

Thanks, Neil. Better, now that they're not animated.

But we can do even better.

If I send you icons via the "Contact Us" address, will you get them? You'll recognize my username in the sending address.

Image format considerations? PNG? JPG? or GIF only?

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 01:46 PM

Thanks, Neil. Better, now that they're not animated.

yeah -- I agree. It was really distracting.

But we can do even better.

Also agreed.

If I send you icons via the "Contact Us" address, will you get them? You'll recognize my username in the sending address.

That would be great. I need to retain "veto" ability on it, but I'm game to try this, and yes, the contact will make it's way to me.

Image format considerations? PNG? JPG? or GIF only?

easiest thing for me is to use the exact same file name and format and file name extension as the graphic you are replacing.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: FSM

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 01:56 PM

is there an option to have an indicator for where the user has participated in a topic or not? for example, if i participate in this topic/thread then when i visit the Feedback forum i would instantly know that i had a message in this topic.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 02:08 PM

Generally, the way I would do this is to look at my posts ... and see the replies there. See the "My Stuff" menu at the top of the forums.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 02:48 PM

I was fine with the graphics as they were. Now, in my humble opinion, they're bordering on gaudy and the animated "flames" are no longer animated.

my2sense smile

Oh... and by the way, is anyone else noticing a marked slow down in forums loading?
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 03:25 PM

Forum is loading speedy for me.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 03:34 PM

Deetoe.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 06:01 PM

Throughout the day today, there's a couple of times that I've restarted that server -- as we do some tweaks and such. That gives an outage of about 2-3 min when that happens.

That said, at this point if there's slowness -- it's not going to be the software. It will be somewhere on the Internet between your machine and the server.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Mississauga
I was fine with the graphics as they were. Now, in my humble opinion, they're bordering on gaudy and the animated "flames" are no longer animated.

my2sense smile

Oh... and by the way, is anyone else noticing a marked slow down in forums loading?

My flames are still highly animated. Must be a reflection of my . . . my . . . hey, I'm hot! smile

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 06:54 PM

Double deetoe. My flames are flamin' and my speed is blazin'. Maybe we're just livin' right? (Although I am cheating with the smileys.)

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 08:01 PM

Adding, deleting and changing smilies (or "graemlins" as they're pretentiously entitled by the UBBthreads authors) is one of the easiest things do on boards like these.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 08:23 PM

I'd have called them grinlins. I think, why should I care about the style of smilies? Then I look at the collection of stuff sitting on my desk and the CPU, all the oddities and ends that make it my place . . . creature of habit, I stand accused and guilty.

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/09/08 11:28 PM

I think that it's cached in your browser.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Different indicators for read/not read? - 11/10/08 04:33 AM

Yeah, I figured. Now I can't empty it, I guess wink