Embedding sound files

Posted by: yoyo52

Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 05:55 PM

Any way to do that? The YouTube and other video embeds are easy, but sound files seem not embeddable.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 06:09 PM

Maybe it's something that can be added? We likes our sounds.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 06:20 PM

Seems that if a youtube video can be done semi automatically that an mp3 file might be an option here that someone could just turn on.

Posted by: neil

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Seems that if a youtube video can be done semi automatically that an mp3 file might be an option here that someone could just turn on.

I don't see anywhere to turn that on ... I think it's simply a function of the tag type. Anyone happen to know how to do that?

Thanks,
Neil
Posted by: morserj

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 08:38 PM

I found this doing a quick search online... does it help?

http://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/317284/7_3_CustomTag_Audo_Embedding.html

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 08:54 PM

Tried the approach in that link--no joy. I guess there's got to be a code tweak for it to work?

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 09:21 PM

I tried that this afternoon. Just typed in audio and rest of code but it looks like Neil and crew would have to add and adjust on their end for us to use it.

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 10:16 PM

I'll look at this when I have more sleep.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: morserj

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Tried the approach in that link--no joy. I guess there's got to be a code tweak for it to work?

Right, he would have to install the script included on that page.

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/07/08 10:47 PM

Although, I'm not sure if that script is compatible with Mac OS X Server ... that's what I need to look at.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: Mac007

You actually have time to sleep! - 11/08/08 08:35 AM

I think this should be your new avatar. wink

Re: You actually have time to sleep! - 11/08/08 08:38 AM

Got that right! SuperNeil smile
Posted by: Xplain Test User

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/09/08 02:14 PM

Ok ... here's the problem. Because MacTech is a commercial site, and this is part of the MacTech site, I don't believe that the free license applies ... and it's not something that makes sense to shell out cash for.

Sorry.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/09/08 05:56 PM

Roger that. Thanks for considering.

p.s.
Like the color of the "new" post indicator. Thanks again.smile

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/09/08 06:01 PM

Needs a nicer graphic ... but it will serve as a decent band aid for now.

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/10/08 11:40 AM

You can turn on HTML to allow for embedding of video/audio, but....

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/10/08 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
You can turn on HTML to allow for embedding of video/audio, but....

but what?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/10/08 02:39 PM

I thought I read somewhere in here that you turned HTML off in the forums for fear of malicious code. I'm not familiar with ubbthreads, so I don't know if there is a way to limit the HTML tags that can be used.

There is that feature in other discussion forum packages, but you'll have to look.

Ultimately, it would save you grief to be able to allow HTML because then you don't have to custom create a bunch of tags for different things. Only problem is, if you have concerns about malicious users, it's pretty much out of the question with HTML turned on.

That being said, we've been pretty good over the years about policing ourselves. To my knowledge, we've not had any security-related issues as a result of HTML being turned on (at MacMinute or MacCentral).

Perhaps it's something you revisit a little down the road, once all the dust settles. In the meantime, sounds can be hosted on numerous freebie storage sites and a link posted here in the forums. It's just not quite the same as having it appear right in the post, but I doubt anyone will have an e-heart attack over it.

Re: Embedding sound files - 11/10/08 04:28 PM

It's not so difficult to link to a sound file instead of embedding it. It just takes an extra click . . . no biggie.