Editing a post not possible

Posted by: FSM

Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:10 PM

i don't mind having a short editing time window, but we currently have no window to correct typos and such. I think that's probably not the intention, so i'll submit it as a bug.
Posted by: neil

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:21 PM

Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks!

Neil

Posted by: Svend

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:25 PM

Testing

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:25 PM

When I try to edit a post I made I get this message -

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:35 PM

Looks like I could edit a post.

However, the Edit button appears for everyone. I can't edit other peoples posts, but the edit button is there

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:37 PM

Ok ... you should now have an hour to edit your own post. (Please confirm).

You cannot edit someone else's ... I can't imagine that would be a good thing for anyone other than a moderator or admin to do.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:38 PM

I added a screen grab of the Edit buttons appearing on other users posts
Posted by: FSM

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:38 PM

yeah, i used "window" and i meant window of time. sorry.

we cannot edit our own posts to correct typos and such. i think we had about 1/2 hour to edit and/or delete on the old software, which was a nice amount of time.

EDIT: this isn't an edit.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:40 PM

Yeah, it times out really fast.

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:42 PM

Editing works here in this forum.

However it does not work in the other forums. Just tried in the political lounge.

Posted by: soulotomy

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 09:59 PM

Well, I'm guessing they're using custom settings for each forum instead of just inheriting values from a parent.

BTW, HTML does work, but I think it's filtered (makes sense to block tags that can be used maliciously, such as 'script'), and the set of allowable tags is too small, so they would need to add more allowable tags.

Definitely need to include the tags YouTube uses in their embed code (oops, hopefully there's no javascript tags in there).

Ed

The software itself seems to be working pretty flawlessly, and the speed is darned spanky. This is really nice. Pretty amazing not to lose seven years worth of stuff. Like it. Ample nice features and functions, but simple, lean, legible/self-evident/whatever. Modern. Now that it's integrated, for what he's done for the MCF (well, I guess that would be Mactech) faithful, I hope it can prove to be an asset. I never checked the more technical forum - Hopefully that would get pretty vibrant and forward of the curve - That could be something of value.

Re: Editing a post not possible - 11/06/08 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: soulotomy
Well, I'm guessing they're using custom settings for each forum instead of just inheriting values from a parent.

While I can copy from one to another, it doesn't seem to be able to inherit from a parent. Now that everything is set, it's not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: soulotomy
The software itself seems to be working pretty flawlessly, and the speed is darned spanky. This is really nice. Pretty amazing not to lose seven years worth of stuff. Like it. Ample nice features and functions, but simple, lean, legible/self-evident/whatever. Modern. Now that it's integrated, for what he's done for the MCF (well, I guess that would be Mactech) faithful, I hope it can prove to be an asset. I never checked the more technical forum - Hopefully that would get pretty vibrant and forward of the curve - That could be something of value.

We're glad to have found a reasonable way to make it work. And yes, we too think it will be great to get some new blood in, on new topics, and have some fun with it.

Thanks!

Neil