New forum system: Update

Posted by: neil

New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 01:28 PM

Hello all,<br><br>As you can see, the "Feedback" category has been moved to the top of the forums for now. This will be the only place we're posting information about the new systems, and taking your feedback. Please focus your comments here and NOT in the other forums.<br><br>Thank you for your patience as we figured out what to do with the forums. As we all know, the existing forum software is not working well.<br><br>As of today, the new hardware is in place (a quad Xeon Xserve). And, we've selected drupal as the content management system that we're going to be using for the forums and other things.<br><br>We're going to start with just mimicking the existing organization for the MacMinute forums as best we can (there may be some differences which we'll vet out with you all and get feedback).<br><br>There should be no issue in keeping the archives online. But, we won't let that hold us up if it becomes an issue.<br><br>The new forum will likely NOT be the ultimate look and feel. Our first goal is just to get it up and running so that we're off the old system. We'll continually work on the rest of the site around things, so things will change while we're all using it.<br><br>*** BUT TAKING THIS APPROACH WILL TAKE YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.<br><br>If the group would rather wait, then give me that feedback now please.<br><br>There's a quick update -- more to come as we have things to let you know about.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Neil<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 01:43 PM

I dread to suggest such a thing but would it be easier for you if you took this current site down and not have us accessing it while you do your changes?<br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 01:47 PM

Ha! I saw one new post in every room and figured it was an overly optimistic spammer. <br><br>Good idea to get this part of the show under one roof. It's nice to know you'll try to keep the archive, but ultimately it doesn't matter. What does matter is what you're doing, and your knowing that we appreciate it.<br><br>As I am dumber than a sack of hair about intertube thingies, all I can contribute are my thanks, my brilliant wit and my good looks. Don't ask for anything more, it won't do any good. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 01:59 PM

We haven't quite figured out what the optimal migration will be. If we are going to take it offline, we'll give some warning about it ... or handle it in some obvious way.<br><br>First step: get the new system built.<br><br>More details to come as we have them.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Neil<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 02:01 PM

go ahead and take this site down anytime ya want! <br><br>like you need my permission <br><br>no kidding. we have alternate sites to keep in contact if needed.<br><br>good luck.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 02:02 PM

Pull the trigger and nuke the whole place at will. <br><br>You may need some disinfectant before you install the new software. <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 02:28 PM

No problems with transition here. Whatever works for you is fine by me.<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 03:24 PM

Excellent news! Got any specific timeframe in mind?<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 03:29 PM

I don't want to lay out a time frame ... but would rather just keep communications open. There's too many things that could pop up unexpected.<br><br>Rest assured: *I* want this thing replaced as soon as reasonably possible. More than any of you ... if you can believe that!<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Neil<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 04:55 PM

cool. i use Drupal for the online courses i teach. i really like Drupal. that being said, i've never used the forums that are attached to Drupal as i've always used phpBB forums. but i love the rest of Drupal so you have a big thumbs up from me.<br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/26/08 05:51 PM

Cool. Can't wait to see what's in store for us!<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: Mac007

Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/26/08 07:28 PM

Drupal web site<br><br>If so it looks interesting. Perhaps if you have time you could post a link to a possible mock up of the future forums so everyone could see what might be coming down the road. That would help with any suggestions we might give.<br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/26/08 08:05 PM

yeah, that's it. <br><br>you can visit their forums, but also understand that there are hundreds and thousands of themes and that the software is open source and can be customized to suit the needs of any business. there are also thousands of modules to extend the functionality and usability, etc. it's awesome software.<br><br>and, conservatives should love it as Townhall.com uses Drupal. <br><br>the Onion also uses Drupal. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/26/08 08:36 PM

>> Perhaps if you have time you could post a link to a possible mock up of the future forums<br><br>Actually, we're going a related, but different route. For reasons beyond the forum, we're moving to drupal -- so that decision is now made.<br><br>The goal right now is just to get the forums up on it and then we'll look for comments and feedback from real use on it -- making what changes we realistically can.<br><br>In other words, since the base technology is chosen -- we have the flexibility of just getting it going ... and we'll be working on look & feel, as well as features as the thing is running live.<br><br>Hope that makes sense!<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Neil<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/27/08 01:34 AM

Thanks for all the time/trouble/expense of keeping this service going!<br><br>I'm sure we'll all forgive any downtime or unexpected changes. Anonymous technology fans on the Internet are very forgiving and courteous, I hear...<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/27/08 04:50 AM

I'm not familiar with Drupal. Will you have access to the database, is it stored locally? For example what happens if Drupal folds, what happens to the database, are all posts lost?<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/27/08 05:10 AM

Hey! I like how Drupal looks! Good choice!<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/27/08 08:11 AM

Drupal is an open source project that has almost no chance of folding. they've been around for a long time in web years and they are only growing bigger and bigger and getting used more and more (currently over 350,000 subscribed users). that being said, Neil will have the source code if he wants and can continue developing the product for eternity if he wanted (i could as well, but it's beyond my abilities). and the database is stored on any server Neil chooses. i installed my version on a shared hosting site i use. if Drupal went away i could continue using it for as long as the database worked on the servers.<br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: Pete

Re: New forum system: Update - 08/27/08 08:24 AM

Haven't used Drupal much at all, but if everyone else is on board I'm in as well.<br><br>Nuke away.<br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/27/08 10:37 AM

<br><br>Thx.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/27/08 12:07 PM

I run The Graphic Mac on Drupal, and Ivan uses it at CreativeBits as well.<br><br>Drupal is much like Wordpress in that it's just a bunch of PHP and CSS, so if you know both, there's virtually no limit to what you can do. If you don't know either (like me), then you can still accomplish quite a bit.<br><br>Drupal is MUCH more flexible than Wordpress, though not as popular because it's not as easy to set up and administer. But it runs faster due to having much more streamlined code - especially when dealing with the database.<br><br>The database is a MySQL datbase, stored on your Web server, just like any other. It's completely separate from Drupal itself. Think of Drupal as an application and forum posts as your documents. You can delete the application, but your documents remain untouched - the only thing you need is another app that can read the documents.<br><br>When I switched from Wordpress to Drupal, I imported my database of posts and article comments from Wordpress to Drupal. There were a few "bugs" - but it can be done.<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Is this the Drupal you're talking about? - 08/28/08 01:53 PM

Sounds good to me!<br><br>Just lead and we shall follow!<br><br>