background/theme

Posted by: ichi

background/theme - 01/05/08 03:04 AM

if you guys could implement a light on dark bg choice that would be great for challenged eyes. like dark blue bg.<br><br>thanks just for reading this.<br><br>peace<br><br>in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: background/theme - 01/05/08 03:24 AM

I doubt that it'll ever happen. Stan was going to upgrade the forum software about 3 years ago and as you can see, it never happened.<br><br>my photos

Re: background/theme - 01/05/08 05:20 AM

can't upgrade, it isn't available in this form any longer --this software is GREAT and UNIQUE simply becaue it has expand/collpase switchs for the index of threads in forum. (i recently had disucussions with [rick] the developer of this software, WWWTHreads, and UBBThreads --new other of which has that feature any longer, although they said, at my request, they may out it back in. but i'm no longer a potential purchaser... soooo. i;ve benn tryin got get a coopy form someione sincve WWRTGHREADS is no free, but again not in this form. recently deprecated versions of UBB does have it.)<br><br>all i ask i guess is a style sheet.<br><br>think they'd ever conssider turning off thread bumping? with it, one can never depend on any type of order so things are dificult to follow visually. (see, i;m an expanxed therads scanner type... that alows me to see who i'm grttong into and what the subject might have changed to... highly effecient and satisfying for user such as myself. i get a lot more data before clicking in, rather it saves alot of unnecessary cliking in and out!) <br><br>my .02, and that'll be the first and last time i'll bring it up.<br><br>thanks!<br><br>[color:blue]ichi</font color=blue><br><br>[color:green]peace</font color=green><br><br>[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: background/theme - 01/05/08 06:34 AM

Sorry, I don't think they were upgrading. I should have said replacing it with newer software. Whatever happened caused it to not go through.<br><br>As for style sheets...good question. <br><br>my photos
Posted by: zwei

Re: background/theme - 01/05/08 09:08 AM

I used to hate the thread bumping myself ...but now I like it. Everything active is at the top.<br><br>I really only want to see the active stuff anyway. I actually have my settings set so that my normal view only shows what has been active in the last 24hrs<br><br>It is definitely a change though. And as John said ...this is probably how the forum will stay until it closes. It's a very "hands-off" forum. We're pretty much here on our own. ...you know ...kinda like MC ...although JimD isn't here to call on.<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: background/theme - 01/05/08 09:18 AM

If you have problems reading text on a white background ...I suggest you try using the OS X feature that reverses the colors on your screen. <br><br>Command+Option+Control+8<br><br><br><br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 10:04 AM

yes, but i prefer it if it can do it on a per app basis and not have to switch my whole display.<br><br>bumping: i use expaneded thread view (why i love the old version of this software and UBB), so bumping makes any little silly reply put any huge thread back on top, and, the whole idea makes it difficult to tune it and know where things are... that is, i could logion and k ow that so and so thread was befire or after this ot that thread and then find it, i use at most a week view, a flat, expanded, 7 day (or 3 day) view. <br><br>especially when there are threads one may have no inteerst in and that go on forever. it's like a popularity contest. if you get some jokers or really any super long thread --those are there right now-- you're in trouble with bumps.<br><br>anyway, i've always disliked bumping in this software for those reasons. i see to more reasons not to enable it that to enable it.<br><br>i like "order" in the software.<br><br>that and adding political and lounge together are all my requests and i will never make them again as i feel like a guest here, so i don't want to appear ungrateful or dissatisfied. i am very happy here.<br><br>actually i registered here sonetime ago but i lost that account info.<br><br>[color:blue]ichi</font color=blue><br><br>[color:green]peace</font color=green><br><br>[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 10:20 AM

I always view in flat view. When I get to the main pages I only see the names of the threads. I can see where it may be a mess if you view with everything expanded. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 10:31 AM

I agree with your thinking.<br><br>I must say, I am a fan of bumping. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Thread bumping, that is. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 10:33 AM

Get used to the way things currently are. The folks here like it and nothing is going to change. I'm afraid it's you who will have to change your ways a bit. <br><br>Just pretend it's completely different software. The main thing is we have most of the MCF group here together plus a whole bunch of nice MM members. That's the most important thing, the people. <br><br>

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 10:48 AM

"The folks here like it and nothing is going to change."<br><br>Oops! Not quite true . . . something changed yesterday. Re-named a forum. Things DO change. Stan has been most accommodating over the years.<br><br>But it would take a majority to request something to get results, I'm willing to guess.<br><br>Changes are sometimes nice and improve on things. I've been thinking how the place would be improved by some style sheets for options for folk. I remember when FSM did a style sheet either here or at MCF. Oh yes, another guy worked on some too. Stu! That's him.<br><br>Style sheets. Hey Ichi! That is kind of what you're thinking about, huh?<br><br>Even better, we might talk up the new software Stan was thinking about a long time ago. I know, I know, everyone brings it up now and then, but --<br><br>That software that Ed put out on his new MacCentralCafe Forum was pretty simple and nifty. Not all new software is terrible. <br><br>I also like this software we are using a whole lot! Berry, berry much. Style sheets would wed me to it in an even bigger way.<br><br>As always, that's what I like about our crowd. We are good at talking over and discussing things, even though sometimes they don't get adopted, etc.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 10:57 AM

Changing a forum name is a whole lot different than doing other changes. <br><br>As for new software? Good grief, been hearing about that for at least 2 years. I sure hope no one is holding their breath waiting for it to happen. Not saying it couldn't, but I won't be upset if I never see it.<br><br>Perhaps Ed will get his forum up and running soon so that any newcomers from MCF who really dislike the MM format will have another option where to hang out. Everyone should feel comfortable, right? <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 11:12 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I am a fan of bumping<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Me too.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 11:13 AM

[color:blue]Changing a forum name is a whole lot different than doing other changes</font color=blue><br><br>But it was such a nice change! <br><br>[color:blue]As for new software? Good grief, been hearing about that for at least 2 years. I sure hope no one is holding their breath waiting for it to happen. Not saying it couldn't, but I won't be upset if I never see it.</font color=blue><br><br>As I suggested, you are right about it being on the table for a long time, just saying it does not hurt to discuss it from time-to-time. There is another thing that has changed here! The active forum participants changed by at least 50% and perhaps even more! <br><br>[color:blue]Perhaps Ed will get his forum up and running soon so that any newcomers from MCF who really dislike the MM format will have another option where to hang out. Everyone should feel comfortable, right?</font color=blue> <br><br>I think 99-44/100% of our folks here at MM are comfortable now! Don't know if dislike of MM is a requirement to participating in Ed's forum, should he ever get it going. I have participated in MM and MCF happilly from the time they both began. I did not dislike either! They were slightly different and I enjoyed the differences.<br><br>Thanks for the response. I enjoy the give and takes <br><br><br><br>

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 11:14 AM

That little dance put McMinnville, Oregon on the National News [print/radio/TV] for quite a while and the court cases are still going on I believe. Involved a middle school and some boys and girls. Terrible for all the kids involved.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 11:15 AM

About software upgrade<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 11:36 AM

Ha! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 12:42 PM

Change - bad! <br><br>Status quo - good!!! <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 01:56 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>Oops! Not quite true . . . something changed yesterday.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I think she means more along the lines that if ichi got it changed so there was no bumping, there would be 50 of us who would get it changed back in about an hour.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 02:11 PM

Yeah, something like that. <br><br>Don't worry, nothing is changing. <br><br>

Re: background/theme - 01/08/08 06:54 PM

I'm changing. I'm outta wine, so gin and tonic it is for the rest of the evening to watch the vote returns! <br><br><br><br>

Re: background/theme - 01/09/08 02:33 AM

don't you mean "collapsed"? (doesn't "threaded" only apply within a thread, here?)<br>i mean there is no threaded or flat choice for the indices., yes?)<br><br>now i'm wonderig if that thread over in the lounge is being described correctly by everyone replyng --either in my mind or theirs. <br><br>?<br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>

Re: background/theme - 01/09/08 02:43 AM

is this post relayed to wwwthreads?<br><br>wwwthreads/ubbthreads software info. (see the first reply, from Ian... later rick's chimes in. there is also a reply from another dev saying they may be willing to add what i want (expand/collapse indices) back in --if they did it would be the best out there, considering, imo, that cool gallery feature and all else new. --i can't "live" or it's exceedingly difficult to without expand <br>/collapse. (bumping suxorz, i want to get up in t moring or whever i check in and ee the new stuff not sone lame reply to a lengthy thread constantly presented in my face amd throwing off where everything *is* makiig it very difficult to find,a nd i'll never use email functions --date stamps are there should therfore be more useful, i'd rather chose to follow a "thread" rather a than a "reply"; bumpming removes those particlular choices from the user's capability).<br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ichi on 01/09/08 05:53 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: background/theme - 01/09/08 03:00 AM

unfortunately(?), turning off bumping is an admin only decision really, imho. <br><br>i mean, too many ppl like to see themselves bumped to the top (see motivation... the last line of that section indicates something thay can be easily accomplished --like image posting or any other user included linkage-- by linking the related thread or post in threaded mode). <br><br>just human behavior --i mean, too much to accomplish any type of vote. no, it seems to me it relies on the whether the owner/admin/mod is one of those, so to speak?<br><br>note: i'm not criticizing that particular human behavior (though i would wink. i am criticizing the usabilty of bumpage. i DO think it IS useful in helpdesk only type forums, like apple's discussions (which offers no expand/collapse indices becaue thes older vers softs are the only ones that do which is why they are KING, imnsho --and why i want a copy to have around... i have a really old perl one wink. i can go to apple discusiion or here at mm and dig up as many old wuestions or threads as i want and get them all to the top real quick. <br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>

Re: background/theme - 01/09/08 06:27 AM

You can view the whole forum index "expanded" as well. I consider "threaded" anywhere I can see the hierarchy of the posts. <br><br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: background/theme - 01/09/08 08:42 PM

We've been pretty happy with thread bumping here. With a few exceptions (usually in good fun) nobody has taken advantage of it (that I know of).<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: universal access - 01/10/08 04:26 AM

i forgot to mention... using that "negative effect" (cmnd opt ctrl 8) causes cursor to change in and out at various placements, desktop has to be very light --to become dark, and, videos, images, and art are all inverted... screensavers. it's not really meant just for thise who a tiny bit of help.<br><br>it's type (reading words) that needs a choice.<br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>

Re: background/theme - 01/10/08 09:21 AM

yeah i know, and alot ppl really like it.<br><br>but lookng ay the 3 forums, itls the same old crap (mine included) all the time. i want brnd new posts/new therad starts at the top, not old threads.<br><br>plus there just ain't no order to it. may as well almost not have dates. bumoing is for no decent effect in a non helpdesk forum; it's for ppl looking at the page 24/7 or helpodesk repsonses.<br><br>it's like being a room full of friends or co-workers and walking from various conversations --you can see where they are and who's involved, but every time you look back somebody's blocking your view --like at a ballpark up down up down blocking those behind youse view. gete outa my way, SIT DOWN. you have your seat, i have mine, RESPECT. damn. it's fsck'd. <br><br>ok, i'm done. I HATE IT. yes i know the only option, leave. thism ones uo to an admin, a vote would never get it done. i was also so GLAD that JD buming would NEVER be enabled at mcf. i guess i need to ween myself anyway, one dat soon i hope, once i get some cashola and hit the road --this year i hope, soon.<br><br>p,s. i said i woud not bring it uo agaiun and ai won't, but if someone else does all bets are off. :)<br><br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>
Posted by: Moderator

Re: background/theme - 01/11/08 12:04 PM

Not going to happen. Get used to how this board is, it won't change any time soon.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: background/theme - 01/11/08 12:12 PM

Whew! Thank gawd!!!<br><br>OFIs don't like change. Especially Oldbie OFIs! <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: drjohn

Re: background/theme - 01/11/08 12:20 PM

Ya got that right! Thanks!<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: background/theme - 01/11/08 01:34 PM

Your reply is reassuring. I like things as they are.<br><br>