questions about board

Posted by: ichi

questions about board - 12/17/07 01:08 AM

i see wwwthreads in the url.<br><br>can you tell me if this is wwwthreads software and what version, please?<br><br>peace
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 04:48 AM

Yes, it is WWWThreads. From the FAQ:<br><br>Can I run my own forum?<br><br>Yes, WWWThreads is available at www.wwwthreads.com<br><br><br>Don't know what the version is, but it's pretty old. Why?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 05:39 AM

the version they are running goes back to AT LEAST 2002 - and probably earlier. It hasn't been updated since I signed up here (in 2002).<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 05:44 AM

wonder whatever happened to the Russian programmer?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 06:54 AM

I signed up in 2001 and it was the same back then too.<br><br>Do you mean Misha, John? I think there was a falling out of some sort. Misha seems to have been a well-traveled kinda guy, if you know what I mean.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 07:23 AM

No, I remember Misha. He came from MacNN.<br><br>This was Slavic or something.<br><br>As far as the board goes, I don't think they have updated but surely they have installed updates to this version? Like say this is 10.1, then updated it to 10.1.1, etc<br><br>I'm not sure why it was never updated to the newer version of WWWThreads and not sure if it does need updating.<br><br>

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 07:27 AM

Slav is probably busy with Unsanity. What is more troublesome is that this discussion has been going on for nearly 2 years with absolutely no commentary from Stan. He could put an end to it with some open discussion (not that he owes it to us, mind you).<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 07:32 AM

Or, it could be this scenario:<br><br>The boards are running error free. No problems other than it's out-dated, but it's running just fine.<br><br>To Stan, it may be something that's not cost/time effective. I'm not sure how it's set up, but let's say he decides to upgrade the board. Well, he has to pay someone to install the software and test it out. This probably isn't cheap, but I really don't know the cost.<br><br>Then, after making sure that it's running smoothly, you have to transition everything over or lose all the threads here.<br><br>He apparently started to go through with this until some members here kinda ruined it.<br><br><br>So, if you were Stan and had those choices, which would you choose? Would you invest any money into this forum if it's running just fine? Perhaps he doesn't have the discretionary funds to do this?<br><br>

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 08:09 AM

I bet you're right, John. If it ain't broke . . . .<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 08:13 AM

Oh, and another thing...if the posters here don't click on the ads or have them blocked, he gains no income from this forum, correct?<br><br>

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 10:13 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The boards are running error free. No problems other than it's out-dated, but it's running just fine.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>No argument there. With little to no features (a bare minimum system), it's easy to maintain and keep running error-free - which I appreciate.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>he has to pay someone to install the software and test it out. This probably isn't cheap, but I really don't know the cost.<p><hr></blockquote><p>This is the part that's really off. It takes a few minutes to install the software - virtually any type of forum software, mind you. <br><br>wwwthreads (the software running these forums) is antiquated BBS software. There really are no upgrades available that add features. So switching software is virtually a must if you're looking for real features. PHPBB is probably the most common and offers a boat-load of customizable features. I've set up this software myself and found it really couldn't be much simpler than they make it - and I truly am not that savvy when it comes to web server things (php, cgi, etc...)<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Then, after making sure that it's running smoothly, you have to transition everything over or lose all the threads here.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Threads/posts are housed in the MySQL database and is available to any software package that accesses it. The threads should carry over relatively seamlessly.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>He apparently started to go through with this until some members here kinda ruined it.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>I know what you're talking about, however I can assure you with 100% confidence that those forums were given up on long before anyone here found them. They were several months old when we found them - I checked the dates.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Would you invest any money into this forum if it's running just fine? Perhaps he doesn't have the discretionary funds to do this?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Because most forum software is free, and it only takes time, there really is no cost involved. However, there is money lost by keeping it because I know I'm not alone when I say I've long since stopped clicking ads here because I feel like there's no attention given to us in the forums - as well as the short-lived "article comments" feature he tried a while back. I used to make it a point (a long time ago) to click one to two ads a day here at MacMinute (on the front page).<br><br>But to be honest, I would really have just liked to see Stan address the request for upgrades here - no matter his decision to upgrade or not, thereby putting the issue to rest.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 10:17 AM

Yeah, I agree...he doesn't seem to communicate very much here like he used to.<br><br>
Posted by: GingerBreadMan

Re: questions about board - 12/17/07 07:46 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Threads/posts are housed in the MySQL database and is available to any software package that accesses it. The threads should carry over relatively seamlessly.<p><hr></blockquote><p>There's a couple of nuances that makes it not so seemless - such as:<br><br>Anyone that has linked to another thread in a post won't link to that post anymore - the urls of the new board with be different.<br><br>If you are going from a threaded BB to a flat mode BB like phpBB, there is a problem - it's not threaded. So every thread will be flat.<br><br>Markup is stored differently with different boards. So unless the markup is the same the posts would have to be translated.<br><br>And that's just the surface stuff, there's a bit more to it then just connecting to a MySQL database.<br><br>----<br><br>The easiest solution would be to burn the old threads, start new. Archive the old board and make it read only for awhile until nobody clicks the archive anymore.<br><br><br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: questions about board - 12/18/07 07:01 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>I bet you're right, John. If it ain't broke . . . .<br><p><hr></blockquote><p> I hope Stan has this posted on the wall above his bed and that he remains mute on the subject. Updating a database like this even a .01 upgrade is no fun. Especially if the users do not want the forum shut down for a few days. This is a large database which would take a very long time to re-index even if it was a very slight change.<br><br>Here is hoping Stan does not change one thing and that idiots who have the knowledge to create mayhem by digging into a security weakness get a life and control their urges of infantilism.<br><br><br><br>

Re: questions about board - 12/18/07 08:27 AM

Except greenme, who has the magic but is a good wizard.<br><br>So far.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: questions about board - 12/18/07 05:53 PM

The fear of change around here is almost comical.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: questions about board - 12/19/07 11:02 AM

Don't worry. You'll get old and crotchety just like me, one day. <br><br>- alec -

Re: questions about board - 12/19/07 05:34 PM

I don't see how that's possible.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: questions about board - 12/19/07 06:20 PM

That's what I said at your age. Enjoy life... TODAY!!! <br><br>- alec -

Re: questions about board - 12/19/07 06:26 PM

I just hope I don't drool and piss myself like you do. And for cryin out loud, stop sending me emails every time you change the brand of diapers you wear - I don't care if the rash goes away!<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: questions about board - 12/20/07 09:27 AM

Stop it, just the thought of having to learn a new image and quote tag made me load up my "Honey I Crapped My Pants", they're expensive.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: questions about board - 12/20/07 08:55 PM

that's why new software is nice. No tags to learn or remember. You just click the image insert button, or the quote button, or the bold text button, etc...<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Pete

Re: questions about board - 12/21/07 08:35 PM

Yessir.<br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: questions about board - 12/27/07 05:59 AM

Seems it works flawlessly for my purposes. I have had the same key chain (not the Bush one from other threads) for close to 15 years, and it still holds my keys flawlessly, so why bother?<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle