Switch to UBB6

Posted by: Anonymous

Switch to UBB6 - 08/03/01 02:18 PM

I think MacMinute is the best Mac news site; it's my homepage and I end up reading it religiously. However, the forums remain a rare visit, and this is because of their horrible look and feel. I think this is also responsible for the lack of community growth, as people have come to expect forums they are used to, UBB provided forums. They look nice, function well, and frankly, I can't stand these forums (aesthetically) by comparison.<br><br>How much more does it cost to go UBB6? It really is sooo much nicer...<br><br>you are not your signature

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/03/01 02:36 PM

The look can be changed... these forums have all the features of UBB. I don't know what else you would want. <br><br>------------------<br>-- j o n k n e e --<br>------------------<br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/03/01 07:55 PM

I tend to agree with jonknee Gametes. Are there specific features you were looking for? You can customize the look of WWWThreads quite a bit...<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/03/01 08:14 PM

Well, as is so often the case with Mac vs PC arguments, I must analogously point out that "features" per se are not the only concern, but also -- as I was very careful to articulate -- the "look and feel" of the UI. This system has all the features I use and more: private messaging, customizations, post icons, etc; it is not, however, up to par in the aesthetic department.<br>UBB has better layout: the icons for services, the colors, the text, the organization, the lack of gaps between posts...everything. Shoud I do a screenshot? I don't think that's necessary;surely you're arguing that WWWThreads is up to par feature-wise with UBB, not beauty-wise. That latter would be a ludicrous suggestion.<br><br>I mean, I have no binding interest, and I have no knowledge as to the costs of the differing systems. However, if they have the same features, UBB is a pleasure to use, for me, and this is not pleasurable. Ergo, MacNN.<br>It's up to you...<br><br>you are not your signature
Posted by: bdog

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/03/01 09:15 PM

"Don't fix it if it's not broken"<br><br>I'me fine with how the forum is now! I can read the text, and that is what really counts. If anyone needs new forum software, it's ResExcellence!!!<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/04/01 08:24 AM

Personally I love this forums..look and feel is very nice. Please don't switch, Stan..I know you probably won't.<br><br>Didn't MacNN switch to UBB6? Didn't they get TONS of complaints of it and then made heavy duty hacks to it in order to get it to feel/look/act like UBB5 or whatever? Doesn't MacNN (or their admins) recommend AGAINST getting UBB6? (Just ask or look through their forums..I'm sure it's there)<br><br>
Posted by: siletz

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/04/01 08:37 AM

I agree with Addict. The current format suits me just fine.<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/04/01 11:03 AM

I concur - the present format is great !<br><br>

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/05/01 01:40 PM

I don't know if you know anything about cgi and perl in general... it isn't hard to change the buttons... The looks of everything is else is very similar... take a look: http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi<br><br>You must work for UBB or something because you are very bias. I have nothing against it but wwwthreads is working. UBB is $49.95 more than WWWThreads ($249.95). I don't think it is worth it. Personally I would use Ikonboard (free) and is just as good as both of these scripts...<br><br>------------------<br>-- j o n k n e e --<br>------------------<br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/05/01 09:02 PM

Gametes is a moderator over @ macnn!!!!! No wonder he is biasÉÉÉ<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/05/01 09:43 PM

thought so! MacNN has some popular boards...<br><br>------------------<br>-- j o n k n e e --<br>------------------<br>

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/06/01 08:19 AM

I have to agree with not changing anything "if its not boken, don't fix it", i don't come to this site to look at big pictures and flashy graphics, I am here to read the Mac news and to talk about macintosh's in the forums, the way the site is now i can do that just fine.<br><br>Oni<br><br>We got death star, We got death star

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/29/01 09:00 PM

I'm an administrator over at MacNN Forums, so I thought I'd interject here to give you the lowdown. ;-)<br><br>We switched from UBB 5.x to UBB 6.x because Infopop had promised us that not only would we be offered additional functionality, the forums would run much faster. While we did end up with a bunch of new features (most of which I don't think anyone actually uses -- private messages and whatnot), the forums run insanely slow.<br><br>While UBB 6.x is perl-based, like MacMinute's version of WWWThreads (a PHP-based version is also available), the key difference is that while UBB 6.x is SUPPOSED to be mod_perl compliant*, it's actually not. Specifically, we enabled mod_perl, which sped up the forums very significantly, but the forum statistics files used to become corrupt several times daily, which caused the forum to appear as if there were only two or three threads in it. Some admin had to be sitting at the control panel all day rebuilding. No good, obviously ;-)<br><br>So we had to uninstall mod_perl, and now we basically need a new server to get up to speed, but due to a series of misadventures that I shan't waste your time with (quiet, Misha ;-)), that's been delayed a few times.<br><br>Anyway, my "official" recommendation is to stay far, far away from UBB 6.x. It's familiar, but the software is bad, and it's slow. This is an extremely readable forum, which is more than I can say for some other new Mac forums (like MacNET, for example), and most importantly, I can see a good member base forming. Small, yes, but the forums are so new.<br><br>So from someone who's been buried in the cgi-bin fighting UBB 6.x day in and day out, I strongly recommend against switching software. WWWThreads, though not that commonly used, looks to be working very well here.<br><br>cheers,<br>-gorgonzola.<br><br>* mod_perl is an Apache extension that allows the "perl" command to be run only once, when Apache is started, instead of having the perl command run each and every time a forum page is requested. mod_perl is a *huge* performance booster. I so wish we could use it! =)<br><br>--<br>gorgonzola @ MacNN

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 08/30/01 07:49 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So we had to uninstall mod_perl, and now we basically need a new server to get up to speed, but due to a series of misadventures that I shan't waste your time with (quiet, Misha ;-)), that's been delayed a few times.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>heh..yeah..we have heard that several times. One reason for me switching from MacNN to any forums is because they kept saying "New server coming soon!" and still they have no new server. They even killed off Appleinsider.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 09/02/01 03:11 AM

Whatever happened to vBB? MacNN experimented wit hit for an afternoon a few months back, and it totally cocked the place up. But it is pretty fast...and personally, when it comes down to UI, MacMinute isn't so great. Its fast...very fast, and for that I commend you, but its beige, I'm found it hard to find "reply", or "post a new topic" buttons when I first joined, and whatever happened to smilies?<br><br>vBB rocks. uBB etcetera aren't so good.And neither is WWWThreads. <br><br>Sorry...but if I were to lie to you, I would be doing everyone a disservice.<br><br>

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 09/02/01 05:39 AM

Georgius, obviously you haven't looked around on the board before you posted that.<br><br>first...the beige..see that link at the top called Control Panel? Click on it..<br><br>Once there, click on the edit which corresponds to "Display preferences, number of shown threads, languages, colors...". <br><br>The 2nd thing you can change is "Which style sheet (skin) do you want to use for your display?" <br><br>Check it out...not TOO many choices, but choices nevertheless. Once you are done go to the bottom and choose Done.<br><br>Ok..next thing is the Reply/Post new topic buttons. Once you get used to them they get easier. Not sure if that's something Stan can move around or not (or would want to?).<br><br>As far as the smilies...sure you can't do it the simple way (:-) or :)) instead you have to do this [ smile ]. to find all the codes, go back up to the top and clicking on FAQ. That answers all your questions for you. <br><br>

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 09/02/01 07:49 AM

...for which I am much appreciative. MacNN and Applelink's board, are the only two boards I've really ever used. I'm used to uBB...I've never used WWWThread before. <br><br>Thanks OSXaddict...<br><br>

Re: Switch to UBB6 - 09/02/01 07:25 PM

you are most welcome. I just re-read my post and thought it might have come off too harsh. If so, then I apologize.<br><br>BTW, welcome to Macminute <br><br>