Password weirdness

Posted by: Anonymous

Password weirdness - 12/13/02 06:31 AM

Hey Stan and admins of MM Cafe,<br><br>There appears to be a bug of some sort in the password in Control Panel. For me it always doubles the number of characters in the second field and then I have to retype the password again. Can someone please look into that and see about fixing it? Like if I have a password of "flack" the second field would then have it as "falckflack," or at least that is what I think it is doing. It is rather annoying.<br><br>Heard you have moved to Spain. Is that correct or just a prolonged stay over there? Interesting, because my wife and I were talking about possibly retiring in Spain in a few years. Comments?<br><br>bliemel@mac.com if you care to reply in more detail about Spain.<br><br>Happy holidays amigo.<br><br>Mike<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Password weirdness - 12/13/02 08:15 AM

Hey Mike, I just went to the CP in Chimera, and you're right--the second of the password fields doubles the password. That's why I was having problems last night, but I was too dumb to see what was going on. Does that happen to you on all browsers or just Chimera? It doesn't happen to me on IE, anyway, just Chimera (and I don't recall going to the CP with other browsers, so I can't tell whether it happens in them or not).<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Password weirdness - 12/13/02 10:10 AM

happens to me on all browsers for the last several months... <br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Password weirdness - 12/13/02 11:20 AM

I replied to YoYo's post about it in the General Lounge...I thought it was a Chimera issue...but if it happens with others then I don't know.<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/15/02 04:48 AM

Is a bug in how they have the password field set up I think. Has nothing to do with any browser that I can see.<br><br>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Password weirdness - 12/17/02 08:46 AM

I don't think it's a bug but some sort of "security" issue. It doesn't double the numbers of characters of your password but they appear to be always 13. You just type your password, between 4 and 20 characters and it works. In MC is the same thing.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Password weirdness - 12/17/02 10:30 AM

It doesn't happen in IE, though, for me just in Chimera.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Password weirdness - 12/17/02 01:27 PM

What I wonder is...is Stan or Larry reading these? I told Larry about this issue a week ago and he said that it will get taken care of soon...and I asked him to post in here to let you all know, but as you can see nothing is here. Guess they are busy with Christmas?<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/18/02 03:14 AM

I did notice that it reverts to a different number of characters, but I did not notice that it was 13 characters as you mentioned. <br><br>My original password for the forum was 6 characters. Even if I change my password (which I have done and it is now 9 characters long), whenever I go to edit it, it always has reverted to 6 characters. Strange. I don't see the point of it as a security feature, doesn't make any sense to have it like that. The fields should retain whatever you have entered there previously. Where I work the fields always retain what you put there. <br><br>EDIT: Just checked this with IE here and at MC. With IE both fields have the same number of characters in both forums. But they both have more characters in the fields with IE than they do with Chimera. Now I am really confused.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 12/18/02 06:49 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/18/02 05:11 AM

Who knows? And Stan drinking beer in Spain...<br><br>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/19/02 02:34 AM

He must be having fun because he sure as heck is not reading the USER FEEDBACK area!<br><br>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/19/02 02:50 AM

I figure he's either having connection/ISP problems or he's traveling for Christmas?<br><br>Cause I haven't seen him on iChat either.<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/20/02 12:14 AM

John, if he is really in Spain will be too busy... tooooooo busy.<br><br>

Re: Password weirdness - 12/20/02 02:25 AM

Actually I saw him yesterday and he said that he just got back online after fighting with DSL.<br><br>That and the beach babes won't let him near his computer! <br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>