Edit too late?

Posted by: OSXaddict

Edit too late? - 06/25/01 08:32 AM

I tried to edit a post of mine that I made at 925am this morning (about NECC) and at 1133am I get this:<br>We encountered a problem. The reason reported was: <br><br>This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired <br><br>I didn't realize there was a time limit?<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 09:13 AM

The time limit is one hour by default. Any thoughts on a good time limit?<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: bdog

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 09:35 AM

Well, I think that there souldn't be a time limit, because WHY???? Does it really matter. If there is a valid reason, please let me know becuase I don't know.<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 11:28 AM

Agreed. Putting at time limit makes it impossible to correct or add information other than by posting another message. That's great for post counts, but makes the threads more unwieldly.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 11:50 AM

I would have to agree with the no time limit idea, sometimes days later it think of somthing that i would like to change in a post i made.<br><br>Oni<br><br>We got the Death Star, We got the Death Star.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 03:46 PM

Consider this:<br><br>A post is made.<br><br>Responses are made to the post based on the unedited contents. Responses are made to the responses, etc.<br><br>Then, 2 or 3 hours later, the original poster edits his post. Then the first response no longer is appropos. Some other responses following that one do not answer the first posters edited comment either.<br><br>I think a time limit is good. If I want to add to or take away from an idea I originally posted after the time limit, I should then make another (new) post.<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 04:53 PM

I'd have to say that I'm with Kate on this one... a time limit of an hour should be sufficient... just add a new post, or make sure you know what you're talking about when you make your original post... ;)<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: bdog

Re: Edit too late? - 06/25/01 09:36 PM

Never looked @ it that way Kate. Yea, that is a good idea to have a time limit after all. And anyways, making a new post isn't that big of a deal. If I had infinite time to edit, then I would just add to my original text, never modify (unless broken link, ect). Thanks for your imput!<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Edit too late? - 06/26/01 07:45 AM

well..that sounds reasonable Kate, but I have never ran into that. I think that anyone who goes back to change a post that radically (other than to correct a spelling/grammer/wrong info/link error) after people post responses would be foolish in my opinion and haven't seen that. I'm a mod at another mac message board and have never come across this where people change it drastically hours/days later to make the initial posting different. If it happened I would correct it, but it hasn't and I doubt it will.<br><br>What I was talking about in my case is the NECC thread I started..noone replied..so I was going to add what I posted in the reply to the initial post. Therefore now it looks like I am talking to myself <br><br>So my vote is an unlimited time period.<br><br><br><br><br><br>(edited for spelling mistakes..which I hate )<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 06/26/01 10:49 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Edit too late? - 06/26/01 10:22 AM

yes well I had assumed that it was a cookie thing... so thanks for bringing me up to speed guys. As yes I tried the ssame thing as you suggested.. to avoid making two or three posts out of one that had no been answered.. and was told it was outdated. So I am with you on this. Even if it is only on a rare occasion.... and especially if there had not been any more posts after the post in question.<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================<br>[color:red] er started to edit but left it unedited, just to show that ssometimes sspelling mistakes can be left in for ffun</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TreeBeard on 06/26/01 01:25 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

What's Wrong With...? - 06/26/01 07:28 PM

What's wrong with talking to yourself? Hey, sometimes nobody else will talk to me and I have to carry on an evah so witty conversation...<br><br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: What's Wrong With...? - 06/26/01 07:53 PM

we all do mate<br> that is why we are.... here<br>typing away on our machines <br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================

Re: Edit too late? - 06/27/01 01:29 AM

I'm going to have to go with Kate on this one. I can see things getting complicated if people start going back to change their posts after responses have already been made to them. The one-hour time limit should suffice in the event you make your post, read it, and discover a typo or some other minor error.<br><br>Thanks for the feedback folks!!<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: Entish

Re: Edit too late? you could still give us longer - 06/30/01 07:47 PM

after all some of us live more than an hours drive from our computer some of us don't live in the same time zone and if an error like an incompatibility with copy-paste occurs ... as did to me in the early hours of this morn .... <br>Hey STAN! I would like a one day time limit! After all if it is only for one hour, then why don't you take out the "mark as edited" as that is what it is there for isn't it? I mean there are only a few of us here so far but there may be a pile of unfixed errors soon if you DON"T allow us to fix our mistakes within one 24 hour day... tell all the punters that they have to make any changes within one day and tell the forum software to remove the F**##*ING Edit your reply button after that period nothing worse than a mindless bot telling you to piss off when the edit button is still plain to see.!! <br><br>

Re: Edit too late? you could still give us longer - 06/30/01 08:09 PM

Enitsh... I'm not trying to sound rude, but here are my thoughts on this topic again, sort of reworked....<br><br>If you post a topic, you are allowed right after that post to "view you post" or "return to the forum".<br><br>If you're error prone (all of us are at some point) and you worry about what other's think of your spelling, grammar, etc... then by all means... immediately re-read your post after you post it.<br><br>Fix your errors then and all will be well.<br><br>If later during the day you re-read your post, and realize that you did something wrong, or that there is a typo, or have a different view than you did earlier... post another post to the same thread... <br><br>If someone else responds to your post, and you need to clear up your first statements due to a misunderstanding, then by all means, do so with another post....<br><br>We live by our words and typing skills on the internet, and thus, I think that your words should stand as they are written the first time, within reason.<br><br>Heck, you can ever "preview your post" before posting it if you feel the need....<br><br><br>Just my thoughts Entish, and yeah, stan... if there is a way to make the edit button disappear or go grey after an hour, that'd be cool too, just to help ease any confusion that folks might have<br><br>(not going to preview this post, or even re-read it until there is a comment below it. I'm not all that worried about my spelling or grammar at this point... I've gotten it wrong plenty of other times... this post won't hurt any )<br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

Edited too late - 07/01/01 05:37 AM

no probs bro yes I did add another post and it wasn't even an important issue.... and yes I am happiest if we do away with the edit feature after we have posted. In fact I campaigned for the ResExcellence forum to make everyone go through a preview once only so that all posts were cleaned up at the point of posting ONLY.<br><br>It is true that we all only react with what we have to react with. <br>Give us a car and we deign to no longer walk anywhere...ad infinitum.<br><br>thanks for reminding me.<br><br>

Re: Edited too late - 07/05/01 01:18 AM

I vote no time limit.<br>I've never seen problems such as this, and I have a fair amount of experience on bulletin boards...<br><br>I mean what if someone sees a typo ages later? I mean, hell, that'd annoy me like anything!<br>I even edit posts a month later if I see it and theres a typo or something.<br><br>The thing is, on most boards, you "quote" the person you reply to - this makes the entire argument about the following posts not making sense null.<br><br>Unfortunately, WWWThreads doesn't seem to allow quoting - a problem which I think is quite major...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: Edited too late - 07/05/01 07:49 AM

<br> " The thing is, on most boards, you "quote" the person you reply to - this makes the entire argument about the<br> following posts not making sense null.<br><br> Unfortunately, WWWThreads doesn't seem to allow quoting - a problem which I think is quite major..." that is quoted from here <br>Yes I suppose so I would tend to agree but it would appear we have been shouted down ... the "edited on.." should help <br><br>

Re: Edited too late - 07/05/01 08:39 AM

Hey, Cipher--I agree that not being able to quote is a problem. How to quote was the first question I asked in this forum, in fact.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Edited too late - 07/05/01 04:29 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hey, Cipher--I agree that not being able to quote is a problem. How to quote was the first question I asked in this forum, in fact.<p><hr></blockquote><p>ah... if you want to quote someone... reply to their thread... then in your reply page, scroll down to their post. select and copy their post.<br><br>go back up to the text area that you can type in.<br><br>Type "[ quote ]" (without the two obvious spaces)<br><br>paste their comment<br><br>type "[ /quote ]" (without the two obvious spaces)<br><br>and then type your reply...<br><br>You can quote, it just seems a little harder, but it's not.<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: Edited too late - 07/05/01 04:32 PM

As my signature says, John, that's true too, but most fora have a button that will do it for you without the need to copy/paste or tye the code.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Edited too late - 07/05/01 05:29 PM

yoyo, yes, I'm familiar with that feature. All I meant to point out was that it is possible to quote if you want to quote... <br><br>but something that this forum lets you do is reply to a single post, witness the subject line of my post, it should say (re:yoyo52) in it somewhere.... thus if you want to know who I'm replying to in my post, you can reference it there....<br><br>It's just a different way of looking at things <br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: Edited too late - 07/06/01 10:10 PM

IMO, a vastly inferior way - wouldn't it be possible to implement a "quote" button?<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: Edited too late - 07/06/01 11:13 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>IMO, a vastly inferior way - wouldn't it be possible to implement a "quote" button?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>it's all about preference isn't it? <br><br>It shouldn't be hard, but I think that MacMinute's employees are swamped right now just trying to get everything up and running...<br><br>I think we should all try to support them by not asking too much in these early days... then again, maybe the more we ask for, the more they know that we want them to be great in the coming years ;)<br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: Edited too late - 07/06/01 11:32 PM

Sort of like Apple and OS X? <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Edited too late - 07/07/01 12:15 AM

heh... yeah.. sort of, though I'm not sure who's task is more daunting <br><br>***<br>"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." --Ronald Reagan

Re: Edited too late - 07/07/01 09:33 AM

One of my favorite parts of The Sun Also Rises is the "don't be daunted" riff. So here's to not being daunted to both MacMinute and Appple <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Edited too late - 07/09/01 08:17 AM

OK guys, I have been following this thread and have heard your thoughts and comments -- all are appreciated.<br><br>I'm not sure how flexible some of these changes may be, but I will look into them and see what I can do. I really like this BB software, so I would like to stick with it if we can. IMHO, the pros outweigh the cons at this point.<br><br>Let me poke around and I'll see what we can do.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Re: there never should be an Edited too late - 07/14/01 11:51 AM

GOOD because if you are ALWAYS going to keep the posts, forever ad infinitum<br> then I ALWAYS want the right to be able to totally DELETE them, forever.. ad infinitum<br><br>OTHERWISE, I am LEAVING, forever ad infinitum<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================

Re: there never should be an Edited too late - 07/15/01 11:17 AM

Hi TreeBeard,<br><br>Just wanted to let you know that I am still working on the issue and will tackle it again when the expo concludes. In the meantime though, if you want a post deleted just let me know and I'd be happy to take care of it for you.<br><br>Thanks for the feedback!!<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Re: there never should be an Edited too late - 07/15/01 05:38 PM

Thanks Stan you are a good guy, I know.<br>I am sorry for putting it the way I did, since it may cause offence to be taken. However I do feel we should have the right to be able to remove any posts which may be of any sort of discomfort to ourselves in the pursuance of a happy, safe and peaceful international community. <br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================