Upgrade?

Posted by: MacGizmo

Upgrade? - 08/24/04 07:55 AM

Hey Larry/Stan,<br><br>What's the news on forum software upgrades? Can we look forward to one soon?<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Upgrade? - 08/24/04 09:03 AM

it's not so easy to do frown unless there is a plug-in to export this forums database...<br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/24/04 09:40 AM

really? I thought doing an "upgrade" would simply add the new features/bug fixes in, not delete the entire database... I thought that was party of the SQL database, not the phpbb code.<br><br>In any case, I would be happy to lose the database in exchange for an upgrade. The lack of features in this forum compared to most all other forums in the Mac using web is getting old.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Upgrade? - 08/24/04 09:48 AM

In any case, I would be happy to lose the database in exchange for an upgrade<br><br>I'm not so sure about that...you'd really trade all those old posts for a couple new smilies? <br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/24/04 12:59 PM

Automatic quote button, auto format & link buttons, better bookmarking, etc... Oh hell yeah!<br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/24/04 01:03 PM

I actually like vBulletin as used at MacOSX.com's forums. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Upgrade? - 08/24/04 05:11 PM

....AND maybe we'd get story links also. Sorry, gotta keep throwin' that in there at every chance. <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Upgrade? - 08/26/04 05:49 AM

even my forum has more features...<br><br>i think the database is the same, but the way the information is stored in it is different for each forum engine, so you'd need an app to convert from the old format to the new one.<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 03:42 AM

It is something we are considering down the road, but if you recall, we asked if a change was what the Members wanted and we got an overwhelming response... no. But it is definitely a possibility.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 04:53 AM

None of those things listed interest me.<br><br>Sometimes it's nice not having multiple quotes or large quotes in another post. <br><br>What exactly would auto format do and how many times would you actually use it? never heard of it...not that I can recall.<br><br>link buttons..hmmm. I have gotten so used to this site the way it is that I can whip up links fast. <br><br>Better bookmarking of posts? forums? threads? I haven't ever bookmarked a thread/post/or whatever....just the main forum.<br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 08:12 AM

Well, I guess since you don't want it, nobody else must either. <br><br>Auto formatting: You select your text and click buttons to make bold, italic, change font colors, add links & images, click for smilies, etc...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 08:15 AM

What I recall was John and about 3 other people saying they liked it the way it was, several people wanting upgrades, and the rest didn't care. That hardly makes it an overwhelming response against an upgrade.<br><br>Besides, what difference does it make what a few people say? We've been asking for story comments for a year and that hasn't influenced any change, so why should this?<br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 08:38 AM

Well, I guess since you don't want it, nobody else must either. <br><br>Well, of course you must have me confused with some others here <br><br><br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 12:53 PM

Ahhh... certainly you are correct! <br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 12:55 PM

I'm afraid, good sir, that I am correct! <br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 04:10 PM

So then you are using this? <br><br>[img]http://www.fruit-eze.com/brands/Correctol Women's Gentle 06.jpg[/img]<br><br>

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 05:54 PM

Wasaaaap Alex... haven't seen you in a while.<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Upgrade? - 08/28/04 06:20 PM

You forget the emails I get personally Giz <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Upgrade? - 08/29/04 05:35 AM

Oh don't mind me, I'm just trolling through the forms. <br><br>