Logging In

Posted by: Anonymous

Logging In - 06/07/01 06:35 AM

This may be a problem only at my end, perhaps because I'm using iCab.<br><br>When I log in, after entering my password I will often hit the return key because, well, that's the way I expect things to be. That, however, only gets me an error box. What I have to do is take my right hand off the keyboard and click on the "login" button.<br><br>Would it be possible to have "login" activated by the return key? It would be just a bit more convenient.<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Logging In - 06/07/01 06:52 AM

Thanks for the idea John. Not sure if we can do that, but let me dig around in the code a bit. I will if I can.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Re: Logging In - 06/07/01 06:56 AM

OK, it is definitely an iCab thing, because the return key works fine in IE. I will see if I can find out why and try to fix.<br><br>Thanks for pointing it out John!<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Logging In - 06/07/01 09:49 AM

tain't just iCab Stan. I have never been able to use the enter key to get in via Netscape 4.77 yes I click the enter key by habit but nil occurs.. I note that the same goes as having to click log in with mouse, I also have to click in the name fields .. Like I mean hey there is only the name and password fields to fill in... Why isnt the cursor there? No matter, I work around anything,.. just letting you know it don't work.<br><br>..
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Logging In - 06/07/01 10:10 AM

Well, I do not log out. Day after day when I return to the cafe, I am already logged in.<br><br>What problem might I be creating for myself by continuing this practice?<br><br>I live alone and no one sneaks in to use my log on to post in this forum.<br><br>John Hackensack<br><br><br>

Re: Logging In - 06/07/01 11:20 AM

OK, thanks! I am still digging, although I am like Kate -- I am always logged in... must be a cookie thing. <br><br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Never Logged Out? - 06/07/01 02:28 PM

I suppose nothing will blow up if I don't log out, ever. Although I'm not sure what will happen if I try to log in from another browser or from one of my other Macs while being permanently logged in via this machine and this browser.<br><br>Come to think of it, I'll try it out now and get back to you...<br><br>[color:red]Well, I guess I'm logged in twice now.</font color=red> Apart from Explorer's text in the forum being awfully miniscule, my prefs were remembered and I was able to use the tab key and the return key as I would normally expect.<br><br>John<br><br>

Posting From Exploder - 06/07/01 02:33 PM

Odd, things look and behave just a bit differently here. Check boxes and scrolling boxes look different, links are highlighted in black (versus not at all in iCab) and text sizes vary a lot. Nothing big, just enough to prove that all browsers are not alike. <br><br>

Re: Posting From Exploder - 06/07/01 04:12 PM

The bane of my existence. <br><br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Posting From Exploder - 06/07/01 06:16 PM

John, I believe the different look is mainly caused by iCab's lack of CSS support...<br><br>And the tab/return issue is something that IE has gotten people used to....<br><br>You really should stay logged in, unless iCab doesn't support cookies properly... you might want to look into that.<br><br>Also, it seems that IE really is becoming the standard... not that I'm telling you that you have to switch, but it would make life easier on web developers if everyone would... IE is the ONLY browser on the market right now that supports more standards than it doesn't... (on the Mac platform that is)... so you might really consider switching.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Posting From Exploder - 06/07/01 06:21 PM

yes Stan is correct if you have cookies enabled, from FAQ [color:red] Yes. Cookies are used to track your Username/Password and which posts you have read for your current session. Without accepting cookies some functions won't work properly. <br> </font color=red>you never have to log out or in, many of the activities that are done here cannot be done without cookies unless you have played some tricks in your browser,.. iCab is so crappy in here I don't bother using it, or rather resetting all its fonts etc in order to be able to read things... already did that in Netscape and IE and don't need three browsers in here really, though I am outside now with Opera, seeeing how it works.<br>above is Netscape 4.77, below is Opera 5.0b1 <br><br>..Bloody hell more different fonts and hey none of these cookie powered browsers can remember where they have been? Yes they remember that they have a cookie but they lose posts mid editing and all sorts of stuff. and why oh why can't I do stuff like drag text in these crappy version 5 browsers. Yes I hate Exploder! I find iCab is OK generally, I like Netscape though there are some things I could do with out. All in all it is still the best forum browser. At least I can hack it to perform correctly to MY STANDARDS As IE only supports NEW MS standards THEY imposed upon us. I don't really care if other people think they are better standards. I happen to think they are just [color:orange]SHYTE! </font color=orange> [color:blue] Opera would have to be my second choice in forums.</font color=blue>[color:purple] Except for the fact that Opera despite cookies could not remember this post nor could it find my password.. and that was with cookies</font color=purple> had to finish in Netscape.

Re: Posting From Exploder - 06/07/01 07:48 PM

I don't really have any problems with iCab here apart from the login thing, which I can apparently do without. iCab accepts cookies and deals with them as expected. Explorer can have some font issues, occasionally not rendering them well in my setup. iCab allows you to default to a pseudo 96 dpi, in essence rendering font size as would be expected on a PC. On the other hand, certain aspects of display are handled oddly in iCab; the background colour in the forums tends to be gray more often than not instead of blue and things don't highlight as expected.<br><br>However, the reason I don't use Explorer generally is that it is prone to unexpected quits on my system. These are non-destructive, so I can simply restart the application, but it is annoying. And yes, I do give it puh-lenty of RAM, 40 megabytes.<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]PS: I hate to say it, but the argument about IE becoming the standard sounds suspiciously like the crappola that PC users have been slinging at Mac users for years. Gives me the willies.</font color=red><br><br>

Re: Posting From Exploder - 06/07/01 08:13 PM

Actually I found iCab made things black and unreadable...but then I am not running platinum..<br>IE is actually pretty well fine I run it at 10MB, I have a huge animated splash.. one thing IE is best at is going backward very quickly... is generally faster to browse with than Netscape but not in every aspect... iCab is nifty fast with a small foortprint but still does not support stuff that I generally need and gives me errors... Opera is extraordinarily fast but cumbersome to type with,as is IE. <br> I have Netscape's users folder on another partition and the cache in RAM set at a measly 5 MB I can come in here and pretend I have cookies with it...who needs the others? <br><br>..