News links opening in new window

Posted by: RubenC

News links opening in new window - 02/23/04 10:21 AM

Hey Stan,<br>I'm not sure if it's just my browser (I'm using Safari), but the news links don't open to a new window. I was thinking, wouldn't you want to keep your readers at MM while they browse an article or visit another site for a bit?<br><br>

Re: News links opening in new window - 02/24/04 08:09 AM

Hoo-kay!!<br>I guess this is a none issue. <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: News links opening in new window - 02/24/04 08:22 AM

No, not a non-issue in my opinion. I notice this too...at home and at work using a POS PC <br><br>I agree....new window SHOULD pop up so you keep the reader at the front page. At least you would think that is what you want...<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: News links opening in new window - 02/27/04 01:56 PM

I like that it doesn't open a new window<br><br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: News links opening in new window - 02/29/04 11:13 AM

me too. i like to browse in a single window<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>

Re: News links opening in new window - 02/29/04 02:42 PM

Well, I think the point is not necessarily if you like it or not..but to keep people at macminute to read the news. If you open a new link in the same window, then they might not come back...doubtful, I know..but who knows.<br><br>

Re: News links opening in new window - 03/01/04 04:40 PM

Well stated John, I tend to find myself reading articles from one link, then jumping to other links. It's an option I've been seeing in other web sites lately.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: News links opening in new window - 03/02/04 05:59 AM

Those "keep the reader here" tactics worked a few years back... but the average web surfer is more sophisticated than that now (which is why we don't see blinking text or scrolling marquee text often). Pop-ups of any sort are just plain annoying - especially when the only reason for them is to keep a reader on a page.<br><br>The only time I can see the use of the pop-up window is if say you're reading an article on the homepage and you really need to show off a graphic of some sort to illustrate the point... I can see having a small thumbnail in the story that when clicked opens a pop-up window with a larger version of the photo (like the .Mac photo albums do).<br><br> What?

Re: News links opening in new window - 03/02/04 06:12 AM

What you said was valid...but consider the dial up user and people like me. <br><br>For dial up users, if it opened up a new window, then they could let it load while still reading the front page of MM. Then read the 2nd page at their leisure.<br><br>For people like me, it's similar but I don't have to wait for the other page to load. I just send it to the dock and read it later.<br><br>Either way, (yours or mine), aren't wrong...it's just personal preferences.<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: News links opening in new window - 03/03/04 04:32 AM

This is something that we used to do some time ago, but decided against it after a while. The fact is that if we mandate all links opening in a new window, we eliminate the reader having a choice. Most browsers support command-click or some other key sequence that will open the link in a new window. We feel this is the best solution. <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan

Re: News links opening in new window - 03/03/04 01:38 PM

Very good, thanks!<br><br>
Posted by: Larry

Re: News links opening in new window - 03/03/04 08:43 PM

Or even better... you can easily open links in a new Tab in most of today's modern browsers.<br><br>