Thoughts about MM Article comments

Posted by: squareman

Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/28/04 05:28 PM

a little discussion going on in the other forum about MM idea.<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 03:42 AM

Hi All,<br><br>Well, story feedback is certainly something I don't want on the home page. It would just add too much clutter. Perhaps we could consider tying something into the Café I guess, but I have never been a fan of story feedback. A lot of what is out there today gets floaded with juvenile posts.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 05:36 AM

Stan,<br><br>I agree that many times, as witnessed at MC, the story feedback gets into a pissing contest between a few people who just like to see their own username. But many times, people want to comment and converse about THAT PARTICULAR subject and don't want to bother with finding the right forum and then having their post lost amongst everything else.<br><br>But I think I might have a workable solution.<br><br>Create another forum here in the Cafe called "story forums" or something similar. Then, put a link to the Story Forum after each story and call the link "Discuss." That way, the only thing that goes in that forum is discussion about stories from the home page, and it's easily accessible from each story, but at the same time, it doesn't clutter up the story pages with posts.<br><br>Please let us know what you think.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: Trog

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 06:30 AM

I like it Giz<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 07:26 AM

Good workaround, Giz- you can call the new forum 'Front Page News', and maybe each new news story (with help of a script or something) gets posted as a new thread in this forum.<br><br>As members, we're not allowed to create new posts in this forum, only reply to the news stories that get posted there...<br><br>How does that sound?<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 08:23 AM

That sounds like a really good solution DM. Good for the users that want to use it without destroying anything for the users that don't. <br><br>Gee, you should be a graphic designer—you know how to fulfill the user's needs. <br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 08:40 AM

I'm an idea man, what can I say....<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 08:55 AM

MacRumors has a similar system already setup at their site. I definitely like the idea of it, and it has the added benefit of taking very little space on the main page:<br><br><br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 03:05 PM

OK, that sounds workable. Our editors would then reserve the right to determine what stories are suitable for a feedback area. Of course, I would be depending on you guys too -- should we not link to a story that you want to comment on... you know how to reach me or Larry. <br><br>Give me a day or two to give it some thought. Obviously I would want to automate it in some way.<br><br>Good idea though Giz. Maybe there is something we can work out here.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan<br><br>BTW, I would definitely be looking for an official moderator for an area like this... to keep it clean. Any volunteers? Care to cast a vote? I would like the Café members to vote someone in for this task. I would like to see it democratic. The readers vote who is in charge and I will give her/him admin privileges to monitor this area.

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 04:12 PM

I could do it from 9-5 EST, basically...I'm at my desk pretty much the whole day. Maybe someone else could take over the night shift? <br><br>But, I will support any decision by the rest of the board...<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 06:15 PM

When you have a chance, it might be worth it to just check out how MacRumors is doing it, as Greenme pointed out. It really seems to work well over there.<br><br><br>I nominate Daddymac as moderator! Unless, of course, TGD isn't busy. <br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 09:19 PM

Hell, I'll mod it, I'm here all day anyway! I really do need to get a life!<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: Lori

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/29/04 09:21 PM

no comment <br>I'm like the pot calling the kettle black...hehehe<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 03:40 AM

Alright, Larry and I will work on the back-end from here. I don't want to automate the process in such a way that *every* story has comments, however. After all, the latest bug fix release of XYZ software doesn't warrant comments. Our editors will try to choose stories of relevance and include a comment (discussion) link. I will be counting on the members though to let us know if we miss one.<br><br>As for the moderator, this would not be a *full-time* gig -- just someone to help us keep an eye on things and make sure the threads stay on track with the story being discussed. If we do something like this, we want to keep it a class act. The last thing I want is a free-for-all pissing match on story comments.<br><br>Additionally, what will be nice about this is that it will give MacMinute staffers an opportunity to comment as well. We stear entirely clear of opinion and commentary in the news postings, so it would be nice to give the staff, myself included, the chance to voice our thoughts as well.<br><br>What I need from you is to vote amongst yourselves and let me know who the moderator (or maybe two) will be. No Florida chad recounts please. <br><br>Oh, and on another note, we are finishing up the MacMinute mugs and such. Look for something in the next couple of weeks. <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan
Posted by: Lori

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 05:56 AM

Thanks Stan and all the rest of you behind the scenes!<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 06:10 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't want to automate the process in such a way that *every* story has comments, however. After all, the latest bug fix release of XYZ software doesn't warrant comments.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I dunno Stan, I tend to disagree on that one. If XYZ Software has a bug fix released, many times the "Bug Fix" contains more bugs than it fixes, and their is the opportunity for valid discussion there.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The last thing I want is a free-for-all pissing match on story comments.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Agreed. All pissing matches should be kept in the lounge where there are plenty of paper towels and Lysol to clean it up! <br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 07:06 AM

Hell, I'll mod it, I'm here all day anyway!<br><br>You are? <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 11:40 AM

I nominate Lori! <br><br>I wouldn't mind doing it...but I would get 0 votes <br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 02:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I wouldn't mind doing it...but I would get 0 votes <br><p><hr></blockquote><p>You wouldn't even vote for yourself? That can't be good for your self-esteem. <br><br>On another note... We should probably start a thread in the lounge for nominations/volunteers.<br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 01/30/04 02:39 PM

I created a thread in the Lounge, post you name there if you want to be a moderator.<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/02/04 04:55 PM

I vote for Daddymac & Gizmo, they after all are...MASTERS <br><br>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/02/04 05:10 PM

HOORAY on the news about the mugs! Yay! <br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/02/04 06:17 PM

Sounds like you want to have a padding session... <br><br><br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/12/04 01:43 PM

I am way overdue for some serious padding, I should have been a Pooh-Bah a long while back! My work is just taking away my MM time!<br><br>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/12/04 01:54 PM

Get cracking man!! <br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/12/04 07:51 PM

Yeah, I've only made about a hundred posts since then. I expected more from myself. <br><br>4883<br><br>

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/13/04 07:44 AM

Soon...very soon ! <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Thoughts about MM Article comments - 02/13/04 07:49 AM

If you keep procrastinating too long..even the newbies here will pass you up! <br><br>