Virtual PC vs. G5

Posted by: badmusic

Virtual PC vs. G5 - 09/03/03 02:27 PM

Has anyone heard/found out when Virtual PC will be compatible with the G5?<br><br>It's important to me. I need it for one darn piece of software; an electrical estimating program for Windows only.<br><br>Thank you.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Virtual PC vs. G5 - 09/03/03 02:37 PM

As of Sept. 2 this is all MS has to say in their KB:<blockquote>Because the Macintosh G5 processor does not support pseudo little-endian mode, Microsoft is rewriting and carefully testing portions of Virtual PC for Mac. Microsoft expects to deliver G5 compatibility in the next full version of Virtual PC for Mac. Microsoft will announce the timing of that release later. </blockquote>Since they're having to do a complete rewrite and given their past history (especially with acquired software), it might be a while—then again, they might surprise us.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Virtual PC vs. G5 - 09/03/03 02:45 PM

VPC killer?<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Virtual PC vs. G5 - 09/03/03 02:47 PM

Wintel 1.01 is an open source alternative to VPC. It only costs $25 for the download and it already works with the G5.<br><br>It runs off the open source Bochs emulation package. It is, according to what I've read, considerably slower (maybe a lot) than VPC... but perhaps that can be balanced by the fact that it DOES WORK with the G5 and its cheap.<br><br>Has anyone used it? Is it worth trying out?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Virtual PC vs. G5 - 09/04/03 05:47 AM

It'll be a while. Might as well pick up a $300 PC someplace, just about as much I bet as VPC when they rewrite it for the G5. <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Virtual PC vs. G5 - 09/04/03 05:49 AM

Wish they would let you try it before buying it. Not that I really need it, but....<br><br>