virtual pc / XP installation ?

Posted by: sean

virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/26/02 10:53 AM

how long does this take to install?<br><br>i started at 10:00 this AM and it is now about 2:00. it has been on the screen "window xp...windows is starting up" for most of this time. does this seem normal? TIA.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/26/02 01:26 PM

There's an article at O'Reilly about installin XP on the Mac.<br><br>Got the link from MacMinute's news page.<br><br>http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/04/24/xp_on_mac.html<br><br>--<br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.
Posted by: johnengler

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/26/02 03:19 PM

I can say this... XP sucks on VPC compared to Windows 2000... it's just testy, and isn't nearly as easy to get up and running...<br><br>I'd recommend Win2K on VPC over XP... there are a lot of XP issues that Connectix is trying to fix as quickly as it can from what I understand...<br><br><br>"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."<br>-- General George S. Patton, Jr.
Posted by: sean

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/26/02 03:53 PM

well, i am planning on buying windows 98, 95, and maybe 2000...i'd like to have each for testing the software we develop. things running slower is not so bad as it helps emulate the computers found in many schools. ;-)<br><br>i got xp running by finally quitting the installer/start up and restarting. okay so far. can't say how much i love os x. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/27/02 05:02 PM

I had XP on VPC (running on OSX/G4500 with 1GB of ram) and it sucked. Switched to 98 and found it to be bearable..but still, it's Winblows <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/27/02 05:10 PM

I have read about XP and VPC. I use XP at work on a PC and I find it even sucks on that. Like W2K better. I used to run 98 with VPC 3.0 and the performance was quite acceptable. I think if I go to VPC 5.0 I will stick with 98 since I don't have that much of a need for Windows anyway unless I want to use Access. That has always been kind of strange that Access is not available on the Mac version of Office. But, I guess you can convert stuff to Filemaker Pro. Oh well.<br><br>
Posted by: morserj

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/27/02 07:50 PM

I run VPC with windows XP, before that I ran ME, and that was hell to say the least. . XP has been fine for me, except I had to re-install once because the system became corrupt. Also, I cant stand all the little messages that pop up all the time. The one that irritates me the most is "Your low on disk space, you should have at least 200mb free" that pops up every time I turn it on. Well since I can expand the drive when I need more space I don't see the need to take up my Mac HD space for unused XP space. I am sure there is some way to turn all that junk off, but I am too lazy to go hunting around the XP settings.<br><br>Another annoyance is the fact that at least once a week I get a "new security update available" so the XP system just keeps on getting bigger by the week. You think they could release a OS that doesn’t have 9286 bugs in it, all requiring there own service packs. Gotta love MS. <br><br>Ryan
Posted by: johnengler

Re: virtual pc / XP installation ? - 04/27/02 08:36 PM

Win2K Pro on VPC is the best solution I've found...<br><br>need to test your website on multiple browsers on Windows? Load one Win2K configuration with IE 6, Netscape 4.07, 4.7 and 6.2, and three other configurations of Win2K with IE 5, IE 5.5, and IE 4.6, and then load AOL 5, 6, 7 (more if needed) on one of those configs, and you're set... Win2K runs just so much smoother than all the other Windows configurations do on VPC... I don't know why that is, but it's true, in my experience...<br><br>(or have a PC and a Mac side by side at work)<br><br><br>"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."<br>-- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)<br>