Best software for running windows?

Posted by: John Rougeux

Best software for running windows? - 10/02/11 04:48 PM

So, Dusty's school uses online books that apparently use a version of Adobe PDF that won't open on my iPad or iMacs. We tried leopard and lion.

Logged in to my work PC and the online book works.

So, rather than buy a PC, I figured I would either get a virtual software and run windows or bootcamp, but that means formatting the drive, right? Then I would have to fuss with reinstalling every thing again...

So, what's the best out there?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/02/11 05:21 PM

BootCamp if you don't mind booting back n forth (free).
Parallels if you want Virtualization (not free).
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
but that means formatting the drive, right? Then I would have to fuss with reinstalling every thing again...
No, Boot Camp Assistant partitions your drive without having to reformat.

But you would still need to buy Windows.

With Parallels you have to buy Windows and Parallels.

With Crossover you buy only Crossover, install an XP emulating bottle, IE 7, and Adobe Reader. With any luck it will open the pdf files. It works with most. I have it running on mine, but it won't open some pdfs, don't know why.

With Boot Camp you have to reboot to Window and back, and Parallels is a Memory hog. Parallels alone needs 2G to run decent. If you can put 8 or 16G in the iMac it helps big time.

Crossover is not that big of a Memory hog, very small footprint.

I actually have to check this out for a customer. The school system has pdf files for teachers that are password protected and will not open properly on the Mac, either in the browser or if downloaded. They open but you can't navigate off of the opening page.

I'll let you know how it goes, I need to get the link and log in info from her today. May have to wait until after school.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 10:16 AM

Actually, I bet it's the same site or something because that's exactly what happened. I couldn't navigate off the Book Cover.

I downloaded it at work and emailed it to myself. Found out that it's password protected so I couldn't print it.

You will need Adobe Reader TM version 8.1.3 or later to view our online editions. Please note that some newer copyrights will require Flash Player 10 be installed for viewing of the online editions. If you do not have this software, please download it

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078617006/

My iMac can only take 2GB ram apparently. It's from Jan. 2008 I think.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 10:54 AM

Yours can unofficially take 6G of RAM if it's an iMac7,1 or 8,1, (System Profiler has that info) Apple says 4G. Crucial has two 2G chips for $50 shipped. If you wanted to go 6G you'd have to get two 4G chips, but the machine would only see 6 of it, and they are $90 each.

Crossover has a 30 day demo, and when you install XP, IE 7, and Acrobat Reader it installs Flash 10. I would try that first, and see how it runs on 2G of RAM before spending any money.

Crossover will have IE and XP as default options, but you'll need to download Acrobat Reader and install it as Other application.

You might want to try Acrobat Reader 9.4 first, according to the Crossover FAQs it is more compatible.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 11:34 AM

I have 4GB ram and I got it March 2008, 24" 2.8ghz iMac.

Yeah, I figure I gotta get Windows..ugh. I don't even know which one...probably 7.

I'm thinking of just doing bootcamp so that way it's fully compatible and I don't have to worry about it.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 12:01 PM

I see Win 7 Home Premium on Amazon for $92 shipped. Crossover is a little cheaper, but like you said you know that Boot Camp 7 would be fully compatible.

It's a lot more work to install Boot Camp initially, and as long as he doesn't use it for anything other than reading the PDFs he won't need AntiVirus software, but you can always get AVG Free if he plans to go to other web sites etc while booted into Windows.

The booting back and forth can be kind of a pain though if he wants to do more than just read the PDFs and surf the web, YMMV.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 12:34 PM

Had to read up on why it was cheaper. Looks like it "locks" into that computer so that you can't upgrade it. (OEM version)

Tempting to get.

This would only be used for school...accessing online books and whatnot that won't work on my iMac. No surfing/games/etc.

I guess I gotta bite the bullet and buy this as I have to have a copy of Windows no matter if I go bootcamp or VM.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
I guess I gotta bite the bullet and buy this as I have to have a copy of Windows no matter if I go bootcamp or VM.
You don't need one with CrossOver though, but Crossover is $65-70, only a bit cheaper than the real thing, it is less demanding on the system, but may not work with the PDFs, that's why I mentioned a demo.

Re: Best software for running windows? - 10/03/11 01:43 PM

Downloading Crossover now that I'm home
Posted by: IndigoKidz

Re: Best software for running windows? - 03/11/12 05:47 PM

I know that by now you've probably already purchased what you needed, but this may help someone else that comes across this post.

If you are attending college, and even K-12, most software/ hardware companies will give a nice discount for students. I know that both Apple & Windows does this. You may even get a better discount by going through your university/ community college.

I purchased the Adobe CS 5 Creative Master suite (usually a $2,000+ software package) for about $600!!! I also purchased Windows7 (no restrictions) for $90!

Not all colleges or schools offer the same discount (I purchased mine through Phoenix University, directly), but it is still a substantial savings! If your school doesn't offer this, go directly through Apple, (or Windows, Dell, HP, etc) websites. Look for student discount. You have to provide some info to proof that you are a student, (though if your school provides this to you directly, you won't. Just log-in through your school, and shop. At least thats how Phoenix online did it. Took some searching to find the store though). And remember, this is true for ALL Students! Regardless of grade!! You can purchase computers, Software (all kinds), etc! Some universities even offer discounted prices on TV's, Travel packages, etc.!!

I hope this helps save some (or a bunch) of $$$$ for someone! Cheers cool

Heather