Which Windows for Me at the Office?

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/27/10 04:23 PM

I am getting a new iMac in a Windows world.

The main server is an XP server and the office is all Windows only printers, etc. with everything geared towards Windows XP.

Luckily, I will only need to access one database program that I can upgrade to a Windows 7 version. I was going to use Parallels since I already have it and am used to it. The Sharp MX-2700 printer will print from my Mac but only in BW and I figured I would just print on the Windows side if needed for color. The other item I will need to do is access the XP server so I can back-up my files.

So I can access the server, can I still get the cheaper Home version or should I get the Pro version.

Also, since I have to get the full version, it is safe and worth it to get either V. 7 or Vista or should I find XP. I have XP on my home Mac and it works for what I need at home.

I hate Windows and been using my PowerBook until my iMac is ordered and arrives. I am going to order a refurb 27" is it is available.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/27/10 05:27 PM

I think I'd simply stay with XP for compatibility's sake. I did work in a mixed Windows version environment (95 through XP) once and they all managed to communicate with the central server and one another. The company finally upgraded all users to XP, though.

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/27/10 05:32 PM

Thanks.

What about the Home and Pro versions since I need to connect to a server?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/27/10 05:42 PM

Pro would probably be a better choice.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/27/10 07:54 PM

From what I gather their networking where you work is probably pretty well structured. Pro does that better, handles domain authentication if they use that, and Pro also does multi processor support, as does Parallels I believe.

Get at least 8G of RAM if you can. Allot Parallels at least 1024M in its prefs. It will actually use quite a bit more real RAM than that, but will run better, and the machine will run better with 8, especially if you are doing any graphics on it.
Posted by: trey

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/28/10 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
What about the Home and Pro versions since I need to connect to a server?

Don't even think about the home version. It's useless.

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 12/29/10 04:14 PM

Thanks...and wow...Windows is expensive for the Pro versions...I have been spoiled.

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 01/03/11 05:49 PM

Okay, digging around the software, I found a volume license for XP Pro, Vista Pro and can upgrade online to Windows 7. The current tech setup was contracted out a few years ago since the office is very un-tech savy, hence a box of software long hidden away.

I will only be using the XP side for some server backup and the one database program.

Should I still stick with XP Pro?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 01/03/11 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
Should I still stick with XP Pro?
Yes. There's a reason many new PC's still come with a downgrade disc to XP Pro from 7. It should do what you need with less bloat. If not upgrade but my guess it will be fine since the one app you need to run on it is run under XP by most of the rest.

Re: Which Windows for Me at the Office? - 01/18/11 05:01 AM

I was able to install XP Pro with Parallels 6. It is a nice step-up from v4. The database program, that is networked, works fine. I just have to make sure the Mac is connected to the network data disk first.

The only problem I have on the PC side is that when printing from a Sharp MX-2700 (PC only printer!), it prints in the wrong orientation. I still have to work on that. I use GimpPrint and it works on the Mac side, but it is only grayscale without any options. I need to use the printer's options such as color, staples, etc. I had Office 2007 installed on the PC side to print the documents...I like the Mac version better.