Random question

Posted by: Silver_Moon

Random question - 02/16/10 12:27 PM

Am I the only one here that uses Windows 7?

Click for full size

(just wondering cause I know some of you have PCs and others use things like Parallels.)
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 12:47 PM

Random answer:

seriously though, I have XP on Parallels for when I absolutely have to.

(axolotls are just the cutest...)
Posted by: carp

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 01:03 PM

At work was a Dell - XP

At home we have 4 Macs no windows at all

I am happy that Win 7 now has widgets and a decent photo editor <-- was a major bummer on XP , there many times I could have used those widgets and taking photos I would go home edit and tag them then email myself back at work laugh
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 01:09 PM

I'm happily Windows-free. cool

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 01:10 PM

They are called "sidebar Gadgets." and yes, Paint HAS improved a lot.

And XP SUCKS compared to 7. It's chunky. Win7 is fluid and shiny and pretty compared to XP. Tried Ubuntu, i want it on my Virtualbox but I dunno how to install it.

(But Mac OS X is still the best, but 7 is a nice substitute.)
Posted by: Lea

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 01:29 PM

I. Am. In. Love.

Posted by: scottyb

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 01:42 PM

I've got the free Win 7 RC on BootCamp. It works fine, but I don't know that I'll shell out any real $$ when it "dies" this June.
Posted by: Mike

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 04:24 PM

Still using XP via Bootcamp. No intention to install 7. Way too expensive right now. If they come up with a decent 'education discount' (maybe around $50 or so), I may consider getting it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 07:41 PM

I use Windows every day at work. There's a new virus going around. A window pops up running a virus scan, but that's a virus. Clicking on the X to close the virus scan window freezes the PC, but even not clicking on the X doesn't do any good. The PC is still infected with the virus. Using Windows is a constant adventure! wink
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 07:49 PM

Mike,

I can get a copy of Windows 7 for free as a student through the MSDN Academic Alliance. Only problem is that it takes 20 GB of hard drive space for the 64-bit version! The 32-bit version needs 16 GB. Smells like bloatware a mile away.

Edit: AND if you want to use Windows XP mode, that requires an ADDITIONAL 15 GB of hard drive space! Compare this to Snow Leopard, which gave me BACK 7 GB of hard drive space and you can see why I refuse to install it, even for free. Windows 7 is just another nail in their coffin.

Re: Random question - 02/16/10 08:34 PM

XP mode only comes on Professional, Enterprise and ultimate.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Random question - 02/17/10 12:22 AM

The reason I use XP in Parallels is - it's really fast. I don't have particular aesthetic needs in winxx (I've learned not to expect much there anyway); I just want to get in, do what I have to do (using my few apps that don't support anything but winxx) and get out again as unscathed as possible, shuddering at the system fonts. I already own a copy of XP from years ago, so for me it'd be pointless to 'upgrade'. But I can see how particularly users of more recent software would need a more recent OS.