Remote access

Posted by: Silver_Moon

Remote access - 01/26/10 11:09 AM

Stupid question. How do you turn on remote access on XP?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 12:30 PM

XP Home or Professional?

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 12:34 PM

Professional SP3

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 01:00 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 01:25 PM

I'm trying to connect to the Dell using the iPod with this app called Remote Lite. I sas it cant connect, and I did all that. What should I do?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 01:33 PM

Cross your fingers (both hands), turn around counter-clockwise three times, and click your heels together? wink

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 01:40 PM

laugh

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: PChaterosx
I'm trying to connect to the Dell using the iPod with this app called Remote Lite. I sas it cant connect, and I did all that. What should I do?
A little more detail on "can't connect?" Exactly what steps do you take to get to that?

Can you do a network ping of the Dell? There's an app for that.

Or try what Michael said. laugh

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 03:42 PM

I set up the remote access, and all that stuff. Then I went to the app and set that up, and told it to connect. It said that their was an error.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 05:59 PM

here's a pic of what it does.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:15 PM

Is that the IP address from the XP machine? That's an external IP address, like one that is handed out to a router. I forget, you do have a wireless router, right? What kind, or is the modem the router?

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:18 PM

Yess, it's from the dell. And I do have a router. How can I get the touch to connect to it? I can control my touch from the Dell.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:28 PM

I don't see how the Dell has an outside IP address if you're behind a router. I don't know your setup.

What brand and model exactly is the router, you sure it's not just a switch?

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:31 PM

I don't know. Insight installed it. And it's in the other side of the duplex so I can't check. And I'm sure it's not just a switch.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:42 PM

Well the problem is you're going out on the internet then trying to come back in. The Insight router is handing out external IP's. Either the port on Dell's firewall must be opened, or the port on the router must be directed to the Dell. Unless you have a very secure password I would be careful of either. Since you can't even get to the router there's nothing I can do without knowing what kind. Then you'd have to know the password to get into it to forward the port to the Dell.

How do you connect with the Touch, is it an IP of 74.x.x.x? Don't post it, only the first set or two of digits.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:46 PM

The touch is 194.xxx.xx.x the dell always has the same ip. So... Bit the touchs is different.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 07:52 PM

Oh, and I know the routers password.

Re: Remote access - 01/26/10 08:01 PM

Did you set the firewall in XP like in the directions of the first link I posted? If so then the problem is in the router/modem or whatever it is, it would need to be set. Again, if you can't get at it or configure it there's nothing we can do.

Re: Remote access - 01/27/10 12:15 AM

Yep. Firewalls ok.

Re: Remote access - 01/27/10 06:21 PM

Both me and my dad have different ips so we think that our computers are giving us the ips. So what now?

Re: Remote access - 01/27/10 08:23 PM

I need to know exactly what is on the chain to the Dell, and to your touch. Modem to router? What is doing the wireless, what kind of modem, router etc, and do you have access to change settings on them. If you don't there's nothing we can do. I don't know why you can go the other way either, to the touch from the Dell, without knowing how both of you connect.

Can you do a network ping to the Dell like I asked you to try?

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 02:59 PM

How do you do that?

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 04:24 PM

How do you network ping? Go to the app store, search for network ping, duh. wink grin

There's a freebie there. Use the IP from the Dell.

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 05:11 PM

IT said no response from host.

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 07:21 PM

Sounds like a firewall issue.

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: PChaterosx
IT said no response from host.
Then you either have the wrong IP or something is blocking traffic to the Dell.

Is it the IP in the image above? I can't ping it either. Don't post your IP in text format BTW, the picture was kind of okay. It's not a good idea to put it out in the open though.

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 07:54 PM

Yes it is the same one.

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 08:13 PM

The Dell is on and not sleeping?

Re: Remote access - 01/31/10 08:58 PM

Well not right this second but it was when I tried it.

Re: Remote access - 02/01/10 05:16 AM

How can you tell? laugh