BootCamp Drivers on Newer iMacs and MacBooks

Posted by: neil

BootCamp Drivers on Newer iMacs and MacBooks - 12/16/09 08:14 PM

Came across a problem that I thought I would let others know what the issue and the solution was.

We wanted to install BootCamp on a couple of machines -- a 21.5" iMac (late 2009) and the new MacBook (white unibody). Unfortunately, it was clear from the video performance (you could see windows draw and such) that something was up with the video drivers.

We reinstalled the drivers from the retail copy of Snow Leopard, as well as updated BootCamp 3 with the BootCamp 2.2 update (yeah, don't get me started on the version numbers here). We even tried the "Bluetooth" update just to make sure that something wasn't hidden there. And, in desperation, we tried the Nvidia web site for updates there.

In the end, because the retail Snow Leopard was 10.6.0, it was out before the iMac 21.5 and the MacBook. When we realized this, we took THOSE versions of the "Mac OS X Install DVD"s (the ones that came with the computers and are specific to individual models) and installed the Windows drivers from there.

Unfortunately, while the idea was right, the "damage" had already been done with the 10.6.0 install of drivers. The solution ended up being to delete the BootCamp volume, recreate it with a full Windows install again from scratch, but this time using the machine specific Mac OS X Install DVDs to do the Windows driver installation. (As well as the BootCamp 2.2 and Bluetooth updates for the iMac).

Hope that helps some other poor soul figuring it out. Took us more than a day of experimenting to figure out the issue.

Neil
Posted by: Jim_

Re: BootCamp Drivers on Newer iMacs and MacBooks - 12/16/09 08:50 PM

I ran into that last summer, but I wasn't kind enough to share obviously. blush

Nothing much worked, bluetooth, wireless, video acceleration. I had to use the discs that came with the MacBook Pro because they obviously had newer drivers and Boot Camp. If I remember just installing the right drivers and Boot Camp from the DVD fixed it though.

Thx.
Posted by: neil

Re: BootCamp Drivers on Newer iMacs and MacBooks - 12/17/09 03:10 PM

Yeah-- and that's what I would have THOUGHT would happen. But, apparently, they couldn't overwrite the install done by the retail Snow Leopard disc.