Vista = Satan

Posted by: TCPMeta

Vista = Satan - 03/24/07 10:30 AM

Well I upgraded my gaming PC and went ahead and upgraded to Vista. I ran Vista RC1 on it before and it was alright. Well with the final release I ran into problems after problems.

Video:
The video was all garabled and had to install the drivers blindly.

Sound:
Took me 3 hours to get the sound to work. Ended up using some RealTek drivers instead of the nVidia drivers.

Keyboard:
I have to disconnect the keyboard and plug it back in when I reboot. (Not a hardware issue)

Misc:
Gave me a base sorce of 2.0 but when I had RC1 it gave me a 3.5
My RAID setup runs super slow then it did in RC1
RC1 had my RAID card drivers but the final doesn't, resulting me to install a floppy drive.
IE keeps crashing when I try to use Google for some odd reason.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Vista = Satan - 03/24/07 10:59 AM

Well, pretty soon, Vista will only need to run games (though I guess then they'll scrap it for the Xbox), so people won't need silly things like Google and RAID. Sound and video is a little more worrying though.

Sounds like Vista is the POS we all knew it would be.
Posted by: maclover1986

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/07/07 01:12 PM

Yup, I agree. Vista is indeed Satan. All Vista does to a PC is possess it. Unfortunately, there are only a few "computer exorcists" for Vista, and one of them is Bill Gates.
Posted by: echebon

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/07/07 05:10 PM

Sounds like you upgraded an old system. This is a known issue with Vista. I also installed vista on my gaming PC, it was depressing when games eather did not work at all or crashed to the desktop. It will take time and like XP they'll fix the problems.

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/07/07 07:19 PM

A friend of mine built a power house of a gaming PC today. I gave him my copy of vista for 50 bucks and he installed it. It gave him a rating of 4.2 Not bad really but it's a quad core system with two eVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS SLied and 4GB or ram. although he has 4 Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB SATA 10000RPM 16MB Hard Drive in a RAID setup.
Posted by: echebon

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/07/07 08:08 PM

Really ?? My Pc has a 4.9 rating with an overclocked pentium 4 , 2gb ram, 7800GT and 2 36gb raptors raid O. His score should be maxed out, somthings wrong, cause thats a bad ass system he built.

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/08/07 03:48 AM

Yea I know, I think he has a driver issue some where or something. When he told me he used all of those parts I thought he was bulls**ting me and he pulled out the invoices and empty boxes. Last night we both ran a ton of benchmarks and they all passed with great results. Oh well, I doubt the ratting has to do anything with at all.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/08/07 05:59 AM

Microsoft make a bad over-bloated crap OS???  Never!

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/08/07 05:00 PM

Honestly MS has made two stable OSes. DOS and Windows 2000. I never had a problem with them. Mostly user error but never from a bug that MS left in.

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/08/07 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: "TCPMeta "

Honestly MS has made two stable OSes. DOS and Windows 2000. I never had a problem with them. Mostly user error but never from a bug that MS left in.

You're talking about a 26 year old and an 8 year old OS  :P

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/09/07 04:03 AM

I know but they're stilled widely used and even back in the day they were the best. I still use DOS and Win2k on a few systems.

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/09/07 01:36 PM

Surely you can't expect no Windows bashing on a Mac site  wink

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/09/07 06:10 PM

BTW..  just wanted to add that i'm not just some blind to the truth anti-windows mac user.

I use windows 5 days a week @ work and I am on the box at least 6-7 of my 8 hours.  Windows does have some perks but the negatives far out weigh them.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/10/07 12:25 AM

The worst thing about windows in general, is that despite ripping Apple off at every given opportunity, they continue to miss the point so badly.
This is one of the richest companies in the world, who can (and do) headhunt some of the best people in the world, yet the products they produce are consistently ugly and irritating. On a good day.
I watched a TV doc about the UK launch of Vista a while back. They went all the way back to the US for some of the development stages of the OS. The design department responsible for the new layout and look and feel of Vista said: "People have been telling us for (10+) years that its stupid you have to press start in order to shut down. So we got rid of the word 'start' on the start button. We're really proud of that."

Seriously? These are the best designers they could find? They spent X months and $X deciding to do something that people have been screaming at them for over a decade. And they're proud of that?

Sums Microsoft up really.

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/10/07 04:34 AM

MS isn't stealing from Apple that much these days, if they were windows would be a unix based OS. They're just still trying to make older stolen ideas better but they're still failing.

I'm not basing anyone here but how can Apple take a Unix kernel that is opensource under the GPL and turn around and put a price tag on it? The kernel Apple uses is a mix of BSD, AT&T Unix and SCO's XENIX kernel. Also theres a bunch of software in OSx that is under GNU's GPL and a few other opensource developments. When you get down to it you're paying for the window server and the aqua GUI. I just don't want to attack Apple on this issue, Novell is doing the same thing but everything on SuSe is opensource but one program called YAST. Yet you have a option to download OpenSuSe that is free and has everything that Novell SuSe has but you don't get tech support for it. Heres a oxymoron for ya. SCO has a UNIX based OS from Microsoft's XENIX kernel that Microsoft dropped back in the 80's. The name of the distro is called OpenServer. nine times out of 10 you hear Open in a name means it's opensource. Not this one, the distro costs about $600.00 and you also have to pay for updates. They don't even include a compiler so everything is binary so opensource installs are very very slim.

It's sad how MS spent millions and time of redesigning the start button. Probably cheaper then what the US government spends on a temperature controller rebuild that you can buy the same parts at radioshack for 40 bucks. Last I heard a 100Kohm resistor ran for about $250.00 then you have to wait 3 to 5 months to receive the part.

Re: Vista = Satan - 08/10/07 06:00 AM

TCPMeta:

There are at least 6-10 Linux distros that have a price tag even just to download them.  Plus when it comes to getting Linux already on a CD Ubuntu is the only one to give those away free.

Apple is certainly not the only company to charge for open source software.

OSX is the best all round OS on earth right now and I think that is fact and not opinion.