A...Im on a PC!

Posted by: maestro

A...Im on a PC! - 03/21/07 05:14 PM

I have always been a die hard Mac fan.  When I say that, I mean it.  But, I have found myself in a situation as a modder that PCs are just better.  Ugh, did I just say that.  Ever since the G5, the Mac moddablity has gone south, sorry to say.  For example, I needed a new workstation and did not have much dough.  For 600 bucks I built a PC faster than an iMac with much more expansion options and more upgrades.  Gotta say winblows is not soooo bad.  It is certainly not OSX.  I just hope Apple opens up OSX for the masses.  Either way, Ive got the same apps and modded the interface enough to deal with the change.

What is the world coming to? ::)
Posted by: 987687

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/21/07 06:27 PM

How about you just install linux on it. You can do pretty much everything in linux, and you can run mac and windows in qemu. You can even (AFAIK) have them running at the same time.

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/22/07 06:13 AM

I have dabbled a bit with ubuntu and I like it.  BUT...I need to run Adobe's full line of pro apps.  I am learning 3dsmax and other pro DVD authoring programs too.  Cant run those on linux.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/22/07 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: "maestro "

I have dabbled a bit with ubuntu and I like it.  BUT...I need to run Adobe's full line of pro apps.  I am learning 3dsmax and other pro DVD authoring programs too.  Cant run those on linux.

with current x86 hardware's power you could run those in wine under linux.  in case you don't know wine is a linux app that lets you run windows apps without really running windows.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/22/07 06:40 PM

I would use Linux and then run VMWare for the Adobe programs.
Posted by: reLAXER564

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/25/07 01:35 PM

Ubuntu + Beryl = Hard to beat.

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/25/07 01:59 PM

Hmm...really.  I am reloading winblows for the fifth time right now.  My new laser drivers wrecked my system.  I may say F it and try ubuntu again.  I really liked it, but I want to be able to use my vid hardware and pro apps to their fullest.  Ill think on it a bit and see. 

I hate windows. >:D mad
Posted by: applekid

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/25/07 03:31 PM

one answer. osx86 project.

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 03/25/07 07:55 PM

Sorry to hear that. You should check out my Vista = Satan thread.

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 04/14/07 12:24 PM

Working on the OSX86 now.  Bunch of parts coming in, so I will be booting multiple OSs.  Cant wait.

Re: A...Im on a PC! - 04/15/07 03:20 PM

OSx86 is pretty neat and kinda weird. My system I ran it on had a 1.8GHz CPU that was overclocked to 2GHz. Well in systemprofiler it said my CPU was 3.2GHz. I ran a few benchmarks and it came up as 3.2GHz. I don't think it's really running at 3.2GHz at all, might just be a bug in the kernel.