Apple Pro Speakers on a PC

Posted by: ubergeek89

Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 06:05 AM

I have a set of USB Apple pro speakers (manufactured by klipsch i beleive) and I want to use them on a pc. My PC sees them as a USB Audio Device, but they don't work. Just curious if anybody has a weay of making it work. Thanks for the help
-Jeff
Posted by: Toyj

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 06:43 AM

Is the USB hub the source of the speaker power or is there an external Av.? also is there an audio port on ur speaker were u would plug a jack? or no

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 06:52 AM

these are the USB speakers that shipped with G4 cubes. there is a headphone output on the converter box, but the only audio input is usb.
Posted by: maclover1986

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 06:54 AM

Maybe you have to find drivers from Klipsch??
:unsure:

I don't own Apple Pro Speakers, so I couldn't tell you.

maclover1986
Posted by: Toyj

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 06:59 AM

well wut i would do is take a cord that fits the headphone jack and plug that in to the computer and that should work or find how to configure ur settings by installing the speakers... u shoulod be able to righ click i believe and install them but im not sure. i will try to find out and get back to u but meanwhile i wold try that headphone jack. i had speakers i did that they work jsut fine.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 07:34 AM

The speakers you speak of, pun intended, run both power and audio (digital) though the
usb port. The speakers then take the audio and convert it to analog and then amplify it to
the speakers. With that in mind, you need to convince the computer to send the audio
to the speakers. You need a driver for that. Thats the thing about PCs that I do not like. I like
the plug and play Mac. It can work. Look for a driver. You may want to consider posting on
a PC site too. They would probably know more about it.
-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 07:36 AM

Sorry, those speakers can only be used on a Cube. In fact, they were made to only work with the Cube and nothing else. They require higher power than conventional USB can provide. So even if you got the power to them, you would need to make sure the USB Audio driver could work with it.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 07:40 AM

Ooh, thats not good. But dont lose hope. Anything is possible. Like I said, find a driver.
Look into what whitlock said (get the specs. on usb voltages). It is still worth a try.
-maestro

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 07:50 AM

You are correct about the power. here is an article I found about apple branded speakers, and they are made by harmon/kardon, not klipsch (similar companies though). The problem is apple computers have 10 watt usb ports, but normal usb ports are only 2.5 watts. Oh well.
the article can be found here: http://www.lowendmac.com/tf/010531.html
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 07:56 AM

I believe you can get this to work for a price that is totally unreasonable.

Before you try it tho, try plugging the speakers into a powered USB hub. If your computer is picking them up as USB speakers then there is a chance they will work with the right amount of power.

Now if that failes, and it probably will, Try this for a hefty $99
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/index.php

The audio-specific usb hub from Griffin promises your'll be able to use them with ANY USB enabled computer.

I find it difficult to beleive that USB speakers need product-specific drivers on any platform, but stranger things have happened.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Apple Pro Speakers on a PC - 04/03/05 08:13 AM

GRRR
I have scoured the net seaching for information on the AppleDesign Powered Speakers I and II. Basically I can only theorize that Apple developed these speakers in house and release them in 1993.

I did all that looking so I could make the following statement :cheer:

Since Apple released the AppleDesign Powered Speakers I & II, Apple has never outsourced important speaker implementations to anyone other than Bose and Harmon Kardon (aka JBL).

Bose was used in the Twentieth Anniversary Mac and possibly the manufacturer of the integrated sub in the Performa 6XXX towers. Harmon Kardon has been used for all modern macs including the Rev B iMacs and on, cubes, and all Quicksilver and on PowerMacs.

Now I am obiously leaving out speakers like those on the Apple 1710 displays and 15 inch model, all Performa 5XX all-in-one series, and PowerMac 8600 and on with a front-visible speaker. I have no idea who made those, and out of those listed, only the 1710 was ever of any great importance and most people opted for the cheaper 1705 sans-speakers anyway.

Whew....ok, so why did I just post all this useless data? I just wasted 15 minutes to look up something to satisfy my own curiosity i guess :evil:

Thanks for reading :P

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2005/04/03 15:19