What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC?

Posted by: ScroogeMcNoob

What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC? - 09/06/09 06:36 PM

hugh.

I already posess one mac OS to be installed on a PC. Now which MAc-System-versions would you mac people suggest to be used by a pc-freak who wants to get to know the most important mac systems? I mean installing the mac OS on my newer and also a little older PCs (Pentium4, down to 1, and up to dualcore and quad)?

also, what bootloader to use best? Thx.
Posted by: carp

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/06/09 07:30 PM

You cannot install OSX on a PC - you can install Windows on a Mac

I recommend you buy a intel Mac and then install Windows , that way you will have 2 OSes on one machine .
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC? - 09/06/09 08:45 PM

I don't know which is best, but I Googled to read up a bit.Try typing in

install mac leopard windows pc

and hit search in Google. It brings up a list you might try.

smile

Posted by: ScroogeMcNoob

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/06/09 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
You cannot install OSX on a PC

wrong. totally wrong.

there IS mac OS for PC, I SAID I GOT IT. GOT IT?

There is A) MAC OS for PC, EXTRA MADE BY MAC to be installed on PC, and NOT ONLY ON NEW ONES!!!

then there is B) Vmware and all other Emu platforms, with which u CAN install any OS normally inside the emulator.

--> Keep in mind the difference between Emulation, directly installing i.e. a Mac OS FOR PC on a PC, or installing i.e.
Mac OS inside Vmware. The only disadvantage is the emulation-method, in which case you have a lot of speed and compatibility issues, probably. Directly or Vmware-wise installing Mac OS on PC is TOTALLY possible. Directly ONLY if the MAC OS is a version FOR PC, and under Vmware, any unweirdo can normally install Mac OS or what OS ever, without ANY limitations, Vmware is stunning. VirtualPC by bloody stupid MS is nothing compared to Vmware. Even MS itself releases images for Vmware for any OS, even for the newest XPs, Vistas and also for Mac OS, now.

No, there is NO need to buy a new intel-based mac.

If you can't answer my questions in a pro-like fasion, then don't answer. This mac world seems like a total user-world, where hacks and crax ARE NAUGHT like in the much bigger and more REAL pc world. Seems like this goes to the first answerer.

Kate might be right. Leopard, okydoky. If all newest and also older appz work on it, fine.

Of course I'll google, when my macs i found on the street are repaired with the help of Forum duke REBOOT here:

http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/442697#Post442697
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/07/09 12:20 AM

Good luck with your attitude. I do this here because I like it, but you don't seem like a fun person to give free advice to, and seem quite capable of using Google.

I'm washing my hands.

Originally Posted By: ScroogeMcNoob
Originally Posted By: carp
You cannot install OSX on a PC

wrong. totally wrong.

there IS mac OS for PC, I SAID I GOT IT. GOT IT?

There is A) MAC OS for PC, EXTRA MADE BY MAC to be installed on PC, and NOT ONLY ON NEW ONES!!!

then there is B) Vmware and all other Emu platforms, with which u CAN install any OS normally inside the emulator.

--> Keep in mind the difference between Emulation, directly installing i.e. a Mac OS FOR PC on a PC, or installing i.e.
Mac OS inside Vmware. The only disadvantage is the emulation-method, in which case you have a lot of speed and compatibility issues, probably. Directly or Vmware-wise installing Mac OS on PC is TOTALLY possible. Directly ONLY if the MAC OS is a version FOR PC, and under Vmware, any unweirdo can normally install Mac OS or what OS ever, without ANY limitations, Vmware is stunning. VirtualPC by bloody stupid MS is nothing compared to Vmware. Even MS itself releases images for Vmware for any OS, even for the newest XPs, Vistas and also for Mac OS, now.

No, there is NO need to buy a new intel-based mac.

If you can't answer my questions in a pro-like fasion, then don't answer. This mac world seems like a total user-world, where hacks and crax ARE NAUGHT like in the much bigger and more REAL pc world. Seems like this goes to the first answerer.

Kate might be right. Leopard, okydoky. If all newest and also older appz work on it, fine.

Of course I'll google, when my macs i found on the street are repaired with the help of Forum duke REBOOT here:

http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/442697#Post442697
Posted by: polymerase

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/07/09 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: ScroogeMcNoob
This mac world seems like a total user-world, where hacks and crax ARE NAUGHT like in the much bigger and more REAL pc world.

To paraphrase Barney Frank, perhaps you should go back to the planet you came from.

But to answer your question, I would use Mac OS System 8.1 as it is the one that most resembles Windows XP. I don't have any experience on Vista or Win 7. If you do you might move up to full blown Mac OS 9.1.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC? - 09/07/09 07:49 AM

There is no official "Mac OS for PC." There are, however, hacked installs of OS X which allow you to install it on a PC. I would not try to install it on anything less than a P4, though.
Posted by: carp

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/07/09 12:01 PM

Quote:
There is A) MAC OS for PC, EXTRA MADE BY MAC to be installed on PC, and NOT ONLY ON NEW ONES

Michael we all must be wrong , extra made by Mac , I guess that means Apple so there is an official version that runs on any PC laugh

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/07/09 12:55 PM

We're just icon clickers, so what do we know?
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC? - 09/08/09 12:22 PM

You're in the wrong place.

You want:

OSX86 project

insanelymac

Hackintosh

OSX86.thefreesuite.com

If Leopard and a compatible machine, you want the Boot-132 boot loader that preloads an environment on the system from which Leopard can boot and operate. The boot loader stores the necessary files (kext files) in a .img collection or simply a folder. The nice thing about Boot-132 is the ability to boot and install from a retail Leopard DVD and update/upgrade from Apple (Software Update, etc). It even enables the user to reinstall without having to re-add the same kexts to their installation each time. There's a new Voodoo kernel now, too, so AMD machines, too, can now install from a retail disk.

There's no magic install - You're going to have to do your own homework.

Here's the EFI patch that works for 10.4.11-10.5.1 update. Instead of kernel patches that bypass EFI, using the EFI patch, you can boot off "vanilla" (unmodified) OS X kernels and use vanilla kernel extensions. So, the system is compatible with future system updates.

Ed
Posted by: Mike

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/08/09 03:26 PM

I'm kinda surprised that someone in this forum even takes this poster serious.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my - 09/28/09 09:34 PM

I take it seriously. Because what we're talking about doing is against the Apple Mac OS X user agreement; thus, it's illegal.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC? - 11/02/09 03:48 PM

You would need to post motherboard and chipset specs for each machine, as that will determine what images you need, and what patches you need to apply to them dumb@ss.

There are no versions of OS X that run on a pentium. Core 2 and up, only. There are versions that run on AMD systems, but most of them are crap and things like USB and sound won't work.

Or, just go to the Apple store and buy a copy of snow leopard, as it installs without a hitch on any new PC. Saves you hours of work, literally.

Re: What Mac OS for PC should I install best on my PC? - 11/02/09 05:17 PM

Scrooge left the building on or about September 8th. laugh