Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu

Posted by: FSM

Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 06:56 AM

this recent blog article from Dell notes that they have a new 10" netbook (10v) that runs XP or Ubuntu. when i visit the Dell site, i don't see the option for Ubuntu. anyone here know the trick to find the Ubuntu versions? i would rather not pay for XP to begin with and then have to mess with installing Ubuntu if i can get it to begin with. i'd like a completely open source netbook, but finding a 10" with a Linux distro is difficult -- e.g., none of the 30+ 10" netbooks at Amazon have Linux on them.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/05/12/dell-mini-10v-is-official.aspx
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 09:50 AM

Dell 10" Minis

Scroll down to buttons - Customize w/Ubuntu

Man, those things are inexpensive. ($299 - $449) A friend is looking for a first computer and it is hard not to recommend something like this. We have been trying to get her to buy the entry level MacBook, obviously more $.

Chris

Posted by: soulotomy

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 10:45 AM

If it's the one I'm thinking of, they're pretty nice. Nice keyboard, real graphics card, accelerometer, camera, card reader, few ounces lighter than an Air.

My eldest is now leaning towards an Air, though, and I see the Apple refurbs are $999. I think the youngest would be happy with one of these colorful Dells. With summer coming up, they can wait til Fall, though. I'll go with Ubuntu and Open Source for the Dell. Who knows, maybe the oldest will come back round to a smaller netbook. Actually, the little one is really liking HP's purse size one, too. I really like these things - They're handy, fun, useful, easy to pack around.

Ed
Posted by: carp

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 10:51 AM

Just remind your friend that they are stripped down laptops and come with nothing . So he /she has to buy their own productivity software

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 03:23 PM

thanks. i guess ordering Ubuntu doesn't lower the price versus XP at all. it's still a great price, but come on . . . XP has to cost Dell something even if it's quite minimal. in any regard, i want to run a completely open source machine so perhaps i'll try one of these.

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Just remind your friend that they are stripped down laptops and come with nothing . So he /she has to buy their own productivity software
productivity software doesn't have to cost anything, carp.

for exmaple: http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 06:17 PM

If you do get one, let us know how it works out.

I really should have a Windows PC to check my clients websites, this might be the ticket. Although, most problems encountered are with folks still using IE6 on Windows. bleh

Chris

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 07:15 PM

I wouldn't mind having one even with Windows, can't believe I'm saying that... But, it would help with checking clients websites I'm building. As well, I'm also the de facto internet coordinator for our company helping our folks set up email on Outlook even though they've all used Windows much, much, longer than myself. So, having a Windows machine could be err.. handy.

Chris

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 07:55 PM

there's also a new Dell Latitude 2100 that was released just days ago. it's designed for education markets. i can probably justify this model to my university easier than the other one. however, i again cannot get to the Ubuntu customization screen. here is the link to the page where you choose Ubuntu or Windows, but i click them and get taken to a generic page instead. hmmmm.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/refto...n=latitude-2100

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 07:56 PM

These actually come with a wireless card, not always the case in the past for PC laptops.

NeoOffice would be another open source software that could be used. Not defending Dell or any other PC, but I've had to supply most of the creative software on my Macs too. Image editor, office suite, web building software, etc.

Obviously, Mac is first choice and I still have yet to ever actually own a Windows PC.

Chris

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 08:09 PM

Yeah, looks like they haven't built out that option yet. How much does that model cost?

Chris

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/23/09 08:21 PM

"The system is available today, and starts at $369."

their press release had that info above and was released on 5/18 so you'd think the links should be working 5 days later.

this one has more options that can be added (e.g., even a touchscreen option).

i also really like having the option to have just a 16GB solid state drive. all data can be kept on a Kingston Elite Pro 4 GB 133x CompactFlash Memory Card CF/4GB-S2 for $15 -- just buy a few and have data backed up easily, etc. (or substitute any CF card or SD or even a 3rd memory card option -- probably whatever your digital camera uses would be fine).
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/24/09 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: FSM
XP has to cost Dell something even if it's quite minimal.

Dell would pay for distributable DVD's of Ubuntu as well. Although it's less than $1 per disk.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/24/09 04:40 AM

My daughter keeps dropping hints about a laptop. She only uses the computer for some light games (spore, barbi, etc) and web stuff like Webkinz.

Something like this would be cool, although the 1GB ram and intel video sucks.

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/24/09 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: soulotomy
Actually, the little one is really liking HP's purse size one, too. I really like these things - They're handy, fun, useful, easy to pack around.

Ed
i borrowed an ASUS EePC (or whatever) at 8" or 9" and the keyboard was great for my 7 year old, but i couldn't type more than a word without an error because of the smaller keyboard. so i am hoping the 10.x" is adequate for typing. if not, i suspect that my son will end up using the thing more than me. ;~)
Posted by: carp

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/24/09 11:30 AM

If you do get one give us a review . Friend of mine has a netbook , she seems to like it

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/26/09 08:28 PM

why did a topic about a Dell laptop running open source Ubuntu software end up in a Mac Laptop forum?

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/26/09 08:43 PM

in any regard, the Dell Latitude 2100 link above now works correctly.

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 05:53 AM

HP has a few new offerings in the 10" category . . . and the linux version is cheaper. it comes with HP Mi, which is built on an Ubuntu base but is customized for a smaller netbook screen. so far, the reviews seem to like it.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/26/hp-unveils-mini-1101-mini-110-xp-mi-editions-with-optional-hd/
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 06:43 AM

why did a topic about a Dell laptop running open source Ubuntu software end up in a Mac Laptop forum?
The irony of Mr no-caps whining about forum protocols. laugh

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 10:00 AM

there are no posting protocols that i know of . . . and I do capitalize proper nouns. i just choose not to capitalize the first words of sentences in an effort to be more efficient and to send a shout-out to e. e. cummings. grin that being noted, here are the categories of forums here at MacTech:

Marketplace
Deals, promos, ads, and support.

Mac
Everything related to the Mac.

iPhone / iPod Touch
Got a tip, trick, or question? Or just want to discuss the iPhone and iPod Touch products? Here's the place.

General Discussion
Forums for general discussion

Apple doesn't even have a netbook offering. and if they did, it wouldn't run Linux by default . . . ever. this seems to be a natural topic to fit in the General Discussion as opposed to a Mac forum to discuss "everything related to the Mac."
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 10:15 AM

You are right, it belongs in this section.

Windows and Virtualization
Running Windows, Linux or another OS on your Mac? Comments on Windows or non-Apple systems? Here's your place to talk about it.

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 10:55 AM

better. it's still in the overall Mac forum, but i suppose finding a perfect fit for Dell and Ubuntu on a Mac site shouldn't be expected. the whole topic should be discouraged. heh. wink
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 06:51 PM

it's still in the overall Mac forum, but i suppose finding a perfect fit for Dell and Ubuntu on a Mac site shouldn't be expected.
Well that was my first thought too, which is why there should have never been an issue, it was put where thought best. Plus add notebook into the equation and it's bloody mind boggling. laugh

As far as the laptop goes, the one I saw with an Atom processor was dismally slow on the internet. I had to download some drivers and it was painful experience.

They were just using it to control a labeling machine and print reports wirelessly, and it was working for that so I didn't bother to troubleshoot the internet. I'll be curious to see how it works out if you get one.

Re: Dell 10" Netbook with Ubuntu - 05/27/09 08:37 PM

yeah, the RAM limits on these machines (most are 1GB; a few have an acceptable 2GB) as well as the processor speeds and poor graphics card leaves much to be desired. i am in a quandary for sure. while i am doing work with a school that is using all open source and another that is soon ordering netbooks, i also wouldn't mind using my funds to get a quality chair here at home since i work at home 98% of the time. so, i am thinking of a few models of chairs here: http://www.sit4less.com/ (i'd maybe have to shell out some of my own money as well depending on the model). but my back would sure appreciate it.