running windows xp in my mac through vmware

Posted by: wineguy

running windows xp in my mac through vmware - 02/24/09 01:27 AM

Hello, I am new to Mac's and just got a new imac. I want to run windows xp through vmware and my question is do I install antivirus on the mac side or on the windows xp side. If I were to buy netbarrier or use clamAV for instance would it also protect my xp side
Any thoughs would be appreciated
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: running windows xp in my mac through vmware - 02/24/09 10:11 AM

I wouldn't bother with antivirus on the Mac side--not until actual Mac virus threats exist. Which will make headlines, so you won't miss the news smile (Actually that headline has ALREADY appeared about once a year--a false alarm with a tiny retraction on page 999 two months later.)

The Windows side is what needs virus (and other malware) protection. I did a lot of research and found people consistently recommending the same set of free anti-malware apps:

Windows Defender
AVG
Spybot Search & Detroy
ZoneAlarm

So those are what I run in WMware. On the Mac side, nothing except the built-in firewall.

Virtualization (VMware etc.) DOES provide some virus protection by its nature. For instance, a Windows virus on VMWare can't touch your Mac data (unless you intentionally share the Mac volume with Windows--which I do not do). But a Windows virus can still attack the Windows side, so stay safe!
Posted by: wineguy

Re: running windows xp in my mac through vmware - 02/24/09 02:12 PM

Thanks ngromme
my plan is to run avg and spybot on the windows side but glad to hear viruses dont cross the volumes. Thanks for the imput