Time Machine vs. Boot Camp

Posted by: Richard Quinn

Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 05:01 AM

When I reinstalled OS Leopard latest version the set up created a second drive partition entitled Time Machine Backups. The size of the partition is about 30 GB.

I want to delete the Time Machine partition and put the 30GB of space back in my primary drive.

I used the disk utility to erase the partition but the 30 GB did not go back into the main partition.

I then invoked Boot Camp Assistant but I got an error message saying I cannot use Boot Camp Assistant. I want to install Windows XP in the space formerly used by Time machine Backups.

Can someone give me the steps to accomplish this ?

Thanks !!

Dick Quinn
rfq123@gmail.com
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 05:35 AM

What machine do you have?

I don't get how the installer made its own partition, it doesn't make partitions, it just installs. Did you maybe use Disk Utility to format the disk and chose 2 partitions.

The disk must be partitioned using the GUID Partition Scheme to install and use Windows or to be able to use Boot Camp Assistant to partition or un-partition the drive. Open disk Utility, choose the disk, (not just a partition) on the bottom right where it says Partition Scheme it must be GUID. If it's not you must erase and reformat the drive to make it GUID.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 05:41 AM

I have the MacBook (version just before the new announcements).

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 05:48 AM

On reflection I think I invoked Time Machine and it created the second partition. All I want to do is get rid of the second Time machine Backup partition and put the space back in my primary disk. Then I want to use boot camp to create a partition for Windows XP.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Richard Quinn
On reflection I think I invoked Time Machine and it created the second partition. All I want to do is get rid of the second Time machine Backup partition and put the space back in my primary disk. Then I want to use boot camp to create a partition for Windows XP.
Hmm, Time Machine won't create partitions. Not sure what you did.

Do what I mentioned in the last paragraph above, what partition scheme is the hard drive?
Posted by: zwei

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 08:20 AM

The boot camp assistant is what creates partitions (or disk utility if you did an erase/partition/install) ...try opening up the boot camp assistant again and see if you have the option to remove the partition.

Time machine should not be used on a partition. It needs to be used on a second internal HD or an external HD. Otherwise if the one drive dies your backups go with it.

From what I read above it sounds like you kinda have the two things mixed up. Boot Camp is for Windows ...Time Machine is simply for OS X backups.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 12:47 PM

I know Boot Camp is for Windows. I simply need a road map to:

1. Get rid of the Time Machine Backups partition

2. Somehow regain the space from the Time Machine Backups partition and send it to my main drive or partition.

3. Then and only then I want to create a new partition somewhere in my MacBook to install Windows XP

Any detailed instructions VERY gratefully accepted.

Thanks !!!!

Dick Quinn
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 03:07 PM

Easy.

Stick the OSX install CD in. Along the top, choose Disk Utility, then Erase your hard drive.

You WILL lose all information on your hard drive!

Then reinstall OSX on your hard drive, getting the partition back.

Other than that, I don't know how to unpartition a hard drive.

Apple Support forum:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5577135

Quote:
How do I unpartition a hard disk in osx? The disk utility wont recognize the disk as one.

First, you will want to backup all your data on the drive because repartitioning will erase the entire drive.

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disk. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger.)

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the number of partitions from the dropdown menu (use 1 partition unless you wish to make more.) Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the volume(s) mount on the Desktop.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process will take 30 minutes to an hour or more depending upon the drive size.

Steps 4-6 are optional but should be used on a drive that has never been formatted before, if the format type is not Mac OS Extended, if the partition scheme has been changed, or if a different operating system (not OS X) has been installed on the drive.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 03:09 PM

Another answer:

Quote:
you can delete the Tiger partition using partition tab in disk utility. select the partition and click on "-". If this partition is the LOWER of the two partitions when viewed from disk utility you can grab the lower right end of the upper leopard partition and drag it down to reclaim the free space left by the deleted partition. click "apply" afterwards. If the deleted partition is the UPPER partition you can not absorb it into the other partition without reformatting the whole drive. in that case, since you have a TM backup you can boot from the leopard install DVD, start disk utility on it and reformat the whole drive using partition tab. then quit disk utility and select "restore system from backup" from the utilities menu. follow the instructions.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/23/09 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Richard Quinn

Any detailed instructions VERY gratefully accepted.
I gave you detailed instructions, and asked some questions as to how you have your system configured, what machine it is etc, but you didn't answer them. It's all needed to know how to solve your problem. Do what I suggested and report back.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/26/09 10:49 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am new to MAC and this forum so please accept my apology.

O.k., I have a 13 inch MacBook (pre-latest rollout). I am running Mac OSX Leopard latest version. I have 2 GB of RAM.

I'll try to simplify my question:

Without thinking it through I turned on Time Machine and it created a 30 GB partition.

I went into disk utility and erased the partition and turned off Time Machine.

The partition is readable and writable and is the lower of the three partitions.

I'd like to install Windows XP in the former Time Machine partition

I know that I must change the partition to FAT32 in order to install Windows XP.

Can I accomplish this or must I strart over. If I must start over I want to reclaim all the disk space into a single partition. I'll then invoke Boot Camp and carve out about a 20-25 MB partition for XP.

Dick
Posted by: zwei

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/27/09 03:37 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to start over. Unless somehow the Boot Camp assistant recognizes the extra partition.

Re: Time Machine vs. Boot Camp - 01/27/09 05:27 PM

I tried to find out if the disk was formatted GUID. It sounds like it's not GUID if Boot Camp Assistant can't work with it.

Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 04:35 AM

Can anyone tell me how to eliminate a disk partition on my MavBook ? I did a reinstall of the operating system with a full erase (I thought) but the unwanted partition is still there.

I want to wipe the drive and then use Boot Camp to create a partition for Ubuntu.

Thanks !

Dick Quinn
rfq123@gmail.com
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 06:39 AM

In Disk Utility, select the Partition button. You'll see the options there.

Re: Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 06:55 AM

Your advice didn't solve the problem. The choice I want, i.e. eliminate the partition isn't listed. Any further clarification ?

Re: Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 07:01 AM

Keep in mind the following will erase everything on the drive.

Boot from the install DVD. Once the machine boots up, after you choose the Language and hit Continue, go to Utilities in the menu bar and choose Disk Utility. From there you can erase the whole drive. Choose the whole disk in the Disk Utility window on the left, click the Partition tab on the right, choose 1 partition under Volume Scheme, click the Options button, choose GUID, click Okay. In the Disk Utility window then click Apply. You will then have one GUID volume. Quit Disk Utility. Go ahead and re-install the system, and after you reboot to the hard drive you can use Boot Camp Assistant to create your Ubuntu partition.

Re: Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 07:06 AM

When you installed OSX again with the full erase, you only erased what was on the partition with the install.

What you need to do is what Michael said:

Open up Disk Utility in Utility folder
select your HD from the base level (it should show 2 on the left side under the HD name, something like this I believe:
Hard drive seagate xxxxxx
name A macintosh Hard drive
name B xxxxx

Select the top level, seagate xxx or WD or whatever brand.

on the right side of that window will be a selection to Partition your hard drive.

Select that, then select 1 partition. It should make the little window in there one big one instead of 2. Then select OK or whatever.

Bear in mind this is all from my memory as I am on a PC at work. \

Here is a screenshot I found online:

See where it says 2 partitions in the middle there? Just change that to 1 and you should be good to go.

Re: Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 07:23 AM

The only thing you forgot is to make sure it's the GUID partition scheme, not Master Boot Record like in the pic you posted or one can't combine or add partitions later without reformatting the whole drive.

I prefer making one partition in Disk Utility, then letting Boot Camp do the partitioning.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Deleting Unwanted Partition - 01/29/09 07:24 AM

Be sure to select the drive and not one of the partitions.