Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig

Posted by: SteveS

Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 02:15 PM

Yikes, it looks like Windows 7 isn't much an improvement over Vista, at least according to InfoWorld's coverage.

Here's a link to the last page of a 5 page article that pretty much sums it up.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/11/10/46TC-windows-7_5.html

Quote:
Bottom line: So far, Windows 7 looks and behaves almost exactly like Windows Vista. It performs almost exactly like Vista. And it breaks all sorts of things that used to work just fine under Vista. In other words, Microsoft's follow-up to its most unpopular OS release since Windows Me threatens to deliver zero measurable performance benefits while introducing new and potentially crippling compatibility issues.

and

Quote:
The larger question is what all those Vista refuseniks will do when their hopes for Windows 7 are crushed. Some will undoubtedly give in. After all, you can prop up Windows XP only for so long. However, for many shops, this may be the perfect opportunity to seriously explore the alternatives outside Microsoft. Ubuntu Linux gets more polished each quarter, while Apple hardware and Mac OS X continue to impress technical and nontechnical users alike.

One thing's for sure: Microsoft's once unassailable dominance of the enterprise desktop is wobbling on a precipice. Windows Vista has permanently eroded the company's reputation among IT decision makers, and from what we've seen of Windows 7 so far, Microsoft still does not "get IT."

Yikes!

Posted by: carp

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 02:23 PM

Washinton Post / PC World

Says pretty much the same thing that Win7 is just a Vista SP2 update , not worth any price
Posted by: zwei

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 04:47 PM

I've got it running in VMWare at the moment ...not sure why I downloaded it. It hasn't sparked any interest in me after playing with it for a while. How about that solitaire...
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 05:43 PM

I got so excited about Windows 7 I installed iTunes
and one ONE SONG !
I have not gotten into heavy gaming like solitaire in
Windows 7 yet although it gives me goosebumps thinking
about it.
Posted by: Svend

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 05:53 PM

I guess since the Zune was a flop, MS has to try to come up with something new, so Windows 7 it is!

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 05:59 PM

Perhaps the One Tune Zune !
Posted by: carp

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 06:04 PM

Check your iTunes - supposed to have been busted in Win7

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 06:16 PM

iTunes works great see

Posted by: polymerase

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/14/09 08:19 PM

Lipstick on a pig and it still comes in blue when you blow it.

Why am I thinking of Papa Smurf?
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/15/09 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: carp

Says pretty much the same thing that Win7 is just a Vista SP2 update , not worth any price

Leopard is far, far superior to Windows 7. But hey, the beta does cost nothing for now, so why not use it... for now. That said, by time the final release comes, perhaps it will be worth a fee.*

*Not for me, though, if it is anywhere above $99.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/15/09 08:24 AM

Is that a Hellboy Mr. Potato Head???
THAT IS SO COOL!
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/15/09 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveS
Yikes, it looks like Windows 7 isn't much an improvement over Vista, at least according to InfoWorld's coverage.

Infoworld also says Ubuntu gets leaps and bounds better but from personal experience Ubuntu 7 was faster and far less buggy than 8.

My personal experience with x64 Vista is in complete opposite from the current views. The only thing I really dislike is the automatic networking, I don't think it's as adjustable as it should be. Any issues I've had aren't with the OS itself, it's with things like video drivers. The latest 8.12 ATi drivers really screwed things up - however that's ATi's fault, not M$'s. Also, Fallout 3 has been a complete pain in the ass to get running, but that's due to ASUS drivers I had installed that didn't uninstall properly - and again, that's ASUS's fault for writing crappy code, not M$. The OS itself has been nothing but rock solid and I'm now happily roaming the wasteland with nary a hitch.

Is W7 dropping 32 bit support? They should have dropped that in Vista.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/15/09 10:41 AM

When you sign up for the beta you choose x32 or x64 ...still going to have a 32-bit version.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/16/09 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: zwei
When you sign up for the beta you choose x32 or x64 ...still going to have a 32-bit version.

How effing stupid are they? Any CPU you buy today is 64 bit capable, and with the memory advantages there's about zero reason to run a 32 bit system anymore.
Posted by: Mike

Re: Windows 7: Lipstick on the pig - 01/27/09 01:31 PM

Well, this WinGusher seems to love it!! smirk