help me understand Microsoft

Posted by: FSM

help me understand Microsoft - 01/07/09 09:22 PM

Vista was a failure. but i figured they'd fix it up and market it better and all of that. instead, they announced a public beta of Windows 7, which will be the next operating system. i was blown away to see that they are already offering the beta of the next Windows. Vista still seems new to me. maybe that's because it is new at my university. anyway, here's the snippet on the availability of Windows 7 already:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/blah blah blah.html
Posted by: Svend

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/07/09 10:12 PM

easy, Microsoft always announces vaporware, often.
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/08/09 04:51 AM

"Understanding Microsoft" is an oximoron.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/08/09 05:19 AM

Sad thing is, Windows 7 is really just Vista with a big service pack upgrade from all I've read about it. They're trying to make it sound like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/08/09 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: FSM
Vista still seems new to me. maybe that's because it is new at my university.

You're way ahead of me. Win XP is the new thing here. They won't roll out Vista for a few more years.

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/08/09 08:06 AM

i don't get why our university upgraded to Vista. i think they just found that they were doing more and more support for Vista on many of the new machines being bought so they rolled it out??? i don't recall what the justification was. but they are up to 10.5 on the Mac side, so there's that. ;~)

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/09/09 09:21 AM

this was more about Microsoft and turned into being about adoption schedules. but if you think this is less loungy then leave it here.

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/09/09 11:43 AM

first, this got moved to a forum under the category called:
Quote:
Mac
Everything related to the Mac.
then, it was further moved into the following:
Quote:
Windows and Virtualization
Running windows or another OS on your Mac? Here's your place to talk about it.
no mention of virtualization occurred in this topic and that wasn't the intent of the subject. i guess i don't fully understand our categories and how the Lounge works.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/09/09 12:18 PM

I think this should be moved to the Site Feedback forum.

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/09/09 07:48 PM

i see Blago was impeached today.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 07:38 AM

I didn't move this to either sub-forum, but perhaps it was moved to Windows because you are discussing Windows?

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 09:16 AM

but this forum is clearly windows in relation to virtualization (as it's even int he Mac topic container). that had nothing to do with this discussion. the real discussion wasn't about Windows, per se, it was about Microsoft and their failure to get a product going and already coming out with another operating system. i even titled it, "help me understand Microsoft."
Posted by: Jim_

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 09:47 AM

I find it ironic that the one that goes against common forum posting standards by refusing to use the Shift key is arguing about forum standards.

laugh

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 02:52 PM

what common forum posting standard am i opposing? and where are these standards posted?

that this post was incorrectly moved has nothing to do with me using lowercase letters to start sentences. i am merely trying to understand the decisions being made by the moderators of this site and trying to figure out how incorrect decisions are overturned like what poly did on the thread he started. and if nothing else, this thread now has many more posts about this current argument than it has on the original topic. maybe yoyo is right despite the giant winking emoticon. heh.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 03:17 PM

but they are up to 10.5 on the Mac side, so there's that. ;~)

That actually support the operating system of Macintosh? No such thing here. Not that we want it. A scientific institution and all the scientists use Mac. But the IS is supporting Windows XP. Really this is better becasue they leave us alone.

ps. Where the hell is this thread and who am I talking to? Am I in the sub basement?

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 03:26 PM

yeah, our university Mac support is very much lacking. we are supposedly one of the most wired universities in the land and have computer labs up the whazoo. but i know of only 2 labs that are Mac labs (there might be another 1 or 2 in the art and design buildings). the number of Mac labs has shrunk since i've been here.

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 03:38 PM

i am merely trying to understand the decisions being made by the moderators of this site and trying to figure out how incorrect decisions are overturned like what poly did on the thread he started.
Well first off it shows we can be reasoned with, right? Second, I said I will move them back for now, let's see if they revive as poly suggested they might. "For now" meaning they will get filed in their proper spot shortly. One revived, one didn't.

And this post will stay filed here. I am going to suggest though to redo the description of this forum to include Windows too and not just virtualization, as I'm sure everyone knows it was meant to be.

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/10/09 05:25 PM

if it's Windows independent of the Mac angle then perhaps it should be in the General Discussion somewhere, particularly since the container for this category is: Mac
Everything related to the Mac.

not that i'd expect Windows to fit nicely in any Mac forum. ;~)
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/11/09 01:16 AM

Quote:
not that i'd expect Windows to fit nicely in any Mac forum. ;~)

Sure - it fits nicely in 'Peripherals and Accessories' smile

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/11/09 07:39 AM

CNN asks, "is Microsoft Vista dead?"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/08/microsoft.ballmer/index.html
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/11/09 08:09 AM

I think this forum should be given clarity: Other Operating Systems (to include virtualization).

That way, we could discuss Windows, Linux, etc. running on a mac or PC.

Since your original post was about MS announcing Windows 7 rather than fixing Vista, it should go here.

In the larger sense of things, it's not that big of a deal. We make mistakes but at least we are flexible on fixing it. There are sites out there that aren't. (MacWorld)

Re: help me understand Microsoft - 01/11/09 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
In the larger sense of things, it's not that big of a deal. We make mistakes but at least we are flexible on fixing it. There are sites out there that aren't. (MacWorld)
Yeah, like I mentioned above, we are flexible.

It's not like there is a forum handbook to follow in setting these things up either. Kind of trial and error.