Weird Word activities !!

Posted by: DLC

Weird Word activities !! - 01/04/09 06:43 AM

My boss and I were working on a Word (2003) document at work Friday and freaky things happened. (on our Windows PCs)

1. We had a Table with 6 columns we were filing in data and he tried to print it in Landscape and couldn't - no matter HOW he tried it always came out Portrait.
SO.... "Mac to the rescue" ... I downloaded it ,set Landscape - shrunk to 90% and VIOLA ! printed in Landscape on my Mac. I emailed him the corrected file and he tried to print it out on his PC again and .... crap crazy - portrait !! Beats the sh!t outta me what's going on !!

2. We had a conference call with other committee members at 1PM... one of my colleagues in Connecticut has Office 2007 at UConn. With Word 2007 he could only see 4.5 columns- the other 1.5 columns were cut off.. he was downloading the same file we were (in a 2003 version- we don't have Office 2007 at CDC yet) !! ...So the new Office 2007 isn't compatible with older files ? WTF !!

Conclusion: WHAT a fscking mess !!
Well the good thing is that they BOTH shut up about my Mac !
At least I could function, whereas they were SNAFUed. laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/04/09 09:49 AM

I've never had problems reading 2003 and 2007 files on the 2004 Mac version. Even the .x files I can convert using either the MS utility, zamzar.com, or NeoOffice, which opens the .x files and allows you to save them in previous Office formats or in the NeoOffice format. But then, I've never tried to do any of this on a Windows machine. crazy

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/04/09 01:16 PM

Turns out my colleague in CT had someone show him how to reformat the doc in Word 2007 and then he could see all 6 columns. That shouldn't be necessary, but then few things in MS programs are simple or straight forward. crazy

The other problem we still haven't resolved.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/04/09 11:20 PM

Viola? smile
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/05/09 04:40 AM

A violin that wants to grow up to be a cello.

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/05/09 02:07 PM

Isn't it a voilin that wants to be a clelo?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/05/09 02:11 PM

I thought it wanted to be a Cleo. Live and learn!

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/05/09 06:01 PM

It's a French Cello !! smile

laugh

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/05/09 11:34 PM

Sorry for being a smartass - comes of being what my dyslexic friend calls 'a poof reader' smile

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/06/09 10:39 AM

Hey no problem - I thought it was a hoot !! laugh

BUT don't let it happen again ! whistle

wink

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/07/09 12:11 AM

Your 'umble servant, sir... smile
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/08/09 08:02 AM

Because Windows or Office has decided that you really want to print in portrait just like Word decides to reformat your document after you've spent hours formatting it the way you want.

Re: Weird Word activities !! - 01/08/09 11:10 AM

Any way to turn that default OFF ? (pun intended, but I'm serious about the question!)