For those of you who have Windows installed...

Posted by: zwei

For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 03:23 PM

What method do you use? (choose the one you use most often)

I use VMWare most of the time, but when I'm gaming I have to use Boot Camp. Although, now that Netflix made their "Watch Now" section Mac compatible I probably won't be using Windows much at all anymore.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 03:28 PM

Heh! I haven't had a use for Windows. The wife's Mini is the only machine we have that could run it, though.
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 03:34 PM

I rarely need anything to do with Windows. When I do, here is my order of preference:

1. http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer (to test how a page looks in all versions of IE)

2. Call a friend and ask them to look at a page.

3. VMWare Fusion

4. CodeWeavers CrossOver Games (haven't tried it yet, and I don't see any Windows games I need to have--but I got it for free and eventually I'll give it a shot)

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 03:40 PM

I ended up downloading CrossOver too ...no idea if I'll ever use it. Thanks for the netrenderer link ...hadn't seen that before.
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 04:27 PM

I use Parallels and run XP however once windows has booted up I snap back to reality and realize how clunky Windows is and usually in ten minutes time I shut it down.
I really have absolutely no need for XP other than showing my PC Weenie friends what an Intel mac is capable of.
Posted by: Mike

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 05:24 PM

Even though I have WinXP installed on this Intel iMac via Bootcamp.
I use it occasionally for a few online games and to try out my free copy Office 2007.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 06:36 PM

I use VirtualBox. Free is good! XP runs fairly decently, though not at acceptable enough speed to do anything beyond Web surfing and office apps.

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/10/08 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I use VirtualBox. Free is good! XP runs fairly decently, though not at acceptable enough speed to do anything beyond Web surfing and office apps.

I tried VirtualBox before Sun took them over. Worked fine for me. If I hadn't received VMWare as a gift I'd still be using it.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/11/08 05:45 AM

I just received an email offer to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 4.0 for $40. They will throw in Kaspersky Internet Security 2008, Acronis Disk Director Suite, and Acronis TrueImage Home. I have no idea what those are but I probably will upgrade.

Re: For those of you who have Windows installed... - 11/11/08 08:42 AM

That's kinda crappy that they are charging that much to upgrade. I could see $20, but $40 is a bit ridiculous.

I bought VMWare 1.0 ....they gave everyone a free upgrade to 2.0.

If I were having to pay $40 for the upgrade ...I'd probably transition over to VMWare. (If I really needed Windows)

I'd say you'd be better off sticking with v3 ...wait for 5.0 at least before you upgrade unless you do a lot with it.