Windows Dead ?? - 11/07/08 12:13 PM

Well I won't lose any sleep.

End of Windows ??

They're saying essentially Windows 7 is a debugged VISTA. blush

I'm serious. shocked
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Windows Dead ?? - 11/07/08 12:18 PM

I love this one:

Is Windows 7 any good? InfoWorld's Randall C. Kennedy thinks Windows 7 is mere lipstick on a pig.

laugh
Posted by: carp

Re: Windows Dead ?? - 11/07/08 12:26 PM

Yep

From what I read yesterday 7 also has many of Vistas bugs mainly device "driver" incompatibilities - MS of course blames 3rd party developers for not coding their drivers properly ? ?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Windows Dead ?? - 11/07/08 12:57 PM

Windows may not be clinically dead, but M$ is in serious decline. At some point, they will have to nuke the Windows base and do something truly innovative akin to Apple's switch from OS 9 to OS X.
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Windows Dead ?? - 11/07/08 02:00 PM

Windows 7 is NOT debugged Vista from what I can tell.

It's worse than that: it's much the same messed-up internals, with a new coat of paint!

(Not that surface usability features aren't great--but they aren't the foundation Microsoft needs for a new OS.)
Posted by: Mac007

That must have been one heck of a debugging job - 11/07/08 02:14 PM

I wonder what was left when they were done? wink
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: That must have been one heck of a debugging job - 11/07/08 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
They're saying essentially Windows 7 is a debugged VISTA.

The real mistake they're making is keeping 32 bit support.

I really thought I'd dislike Vista with all the hype it got, but after using 64 bit Vista for several months now I'm actually impressed with it.

Things like having a lot of applications open and switching between them are much smoother (helps too I have 8 gigs of RAM in the box), and tossing aside instability from playing with overclock settings the system hasn't crashed one single time.

I believe most of the negatives come from the people running 32 bit systems without much RAM, or older equipment. But 64 bit on a new machine is great, and programs that take advantage of it are great too.

Now I can nitpick the stuff I don't like compared to OS X (usual stuff like non static menu bar for applications, etc.) but there is stuff too I think OS X could improve upon.
Posted by: carp

Re: That must have been one heck of a debugging jo - 11/07/08 03:59 PM

Well apps a side - my understanding one of the other big beef with Vista and now with Win 7 was the 3rd party Device support - printers , cameras , mp3 players , copy machines , fax machines , yada yada
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Windows Dead ?? - 11/07/08 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Nagromme
Windows 7 is NOT debugged Vista from what I can tell.

It's worse than that: it's much the same messed-up internals, with a new coat of paint!

(Not that surface usability features aren't great--but they aren't the foundation Microsoft needs for a new OS.)

So it is lipstick on the ol' sow, then? wink