Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac?

Posted by: MacGizmo

Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 08:47 AM

Rather than buying Parallels or VMWare Fusion, I've decided to try a FREE emulator I found on the Web. It will run XP or Vista.<br><br>My question is, which is better to get at this stage? I've heard that MS is going to start making life miserable for people still running XP. I'm only going to use it for Web-related stuff, so I don't really care about "future-proofing" any applications.<br><br>I'm leaning toward Vista, simply because it's the latest, and has better security features by default.<br><br>Of course, I also don't know which of the 327 versions of Vista to get. I **think** Vista Home Ultimate is what I want/need.<br><br>Anyone have any experience on this?<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 09:17 AM

I run an OEM copy ($90) of XP Home using Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro with no problems. But all I mainly do is run tax software and some occasional browsing. I used the FAT32 formatting so I can copy files from the Mac side. <br><br>What free emulator are you going to try?<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 09:39 AM

I use Parallels and run OS X and Windows XP Home Edition on split screens on both of my iMacs<br>Files can be dragged and dropped from one OS to the other with Parallels .<br>As for Vista perhaps Alec will give his opinion.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 09:42 AM

"Drooped?" <br><br>

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 09:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What free emulator are you going to try?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>VirtualBox is the virtual machine. I've read several reviews, and they all say it's just as good as the two big-boys.<br><br>So what do the "Home" versions of XP and Vista lack that is included in the "Ultimate" versions?<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 10:36 AM

Ultimate includes the kitchen sink, a lot of IIS stuff you likely won't need.<br><br>Home won't log into domains, which might be the only consideration depending on how you're going to use it.<br><br>Not sure to tell you if you should get 32 or 64 bit. 64bit is by far the choice if you're running it as your main OS as you can utilize ram past 8GB and stuff just runs so much smoother.<br><br>Actually I think if you get the retail box of Vista it has both 32 and 64 bit versions included. If however you get a system builders disk (which is 1/2 the price), it's either or.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 11:07 AM

I downloaded Virtual Machine to give it a try I could not get XP/Win 2000/Win 98 or Win 95 to install all disks are licensed Mircosoft install disks.<br> Purchase Parallels or CrossOver or VMware.<br>Virtual Machine is buggy<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 11:54 AM

I say go with XP. Vista sucks up a LOT of resources and XP is still the most compatible out there. Don't worry about Viruses, etc. with a virtual setup. Just make sure once you do a clean install of the OS to back up the disk image it's stored in. If something fails all you have to do is start with the nice clean slate.<br><br>Virtualbox is pretty sweet. It's nowhere near as refined as VMWare or Parallels, but it's not hard to figure out how to get it up and running. I had an old version running about a year ago (before SUN took them over) ...and it worked just fine. Only reason I don't use it now is because I got VMWare as a Christmas gift. <br><br>XP<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 12:46 PM

"As for Vista perhaps Alec will give his opinion."<br><br>From the few diehard PC users I know, Vista sucks. From the Parallels users I know, Vista sucks. From entries on the Parallels forums, Vista sucks. From reports around the net regarding other virtual environments, Vista sucks.<br><br>I'm pretty sure you'll find Vista sucks.<br><br>Hope that helps! <br><br>- alec -

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 12:53 PM

Oh, but M$ says Vista good! It's just a stereotype. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 01:06 PM

No what you hear is "I am a PC" you don't hear I am a Vista or I am a XP <br><br>I thought the next service pack release for XP was to give it a Vista clown suit ? SOrta MS back door approach of slowly turning XP users to Vista users via updates ?<br><br>

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 01:42 PM

I already knew Vista sucks. It takes more resources, blah, blah, blah. The problem is, I'm a Mac user. I only want Windows to mess around with - so I don't want to have to spend money a year from now on bullsh!t upgrades just to keep the system running.<br><br>That's the only reason I even considered getting Vista. I figured if MS is going to do something to cripple XP (such as not allowing the next version of IE to run on it), I don't want to be screwed (more than I am simply by having Windows installed at all).<br><br>People tend not to like change, so I have to wonder how much of the "Vista sucks" comments is simply due to the fact that people didn't want to spend money on upgrades. I mean seriously, try running Leopard on a G4... it sucks in comparison to running it on a G5 or Intel Mac.<br><br>By the way, I appreciate everyone's opinions on this.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 02:06 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>People tend not to like change, so I have to wonder how much of the "Vista sucks" comments is simply due to the fact that people didn't want to spend money on upgrades.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Before SP1, it was supposed to be fairly bad. But then, so was XP, and so are some OS X versions before .1 release.<br><br>But I have to admit Vista X64 is one of the better OS's I've used. It's been rock solid, and I've yet to have one crash from the OS itself. The crashes I have had were due to ATi's crappy initial 4850 drivers.<br><br>I do get annoyed with the networking however, if you have IPV6 going it will drop internet connections on some routers and mine happens to be one of them. Turn off IPV6 and it's fine. I suspect that will be fixed sooner or later. <br><br>But prefetch and readyboost built into it are great. Literally, when you get to your desktop I can hit the shortcut for Firefox (or IE) and before I've really released the mouse button it's up with the homepage loaded already. Also having lots of stuff open seems smoother than OS X, but to be fair I don't usually have multi gig graphics files open like I do in OS X. Really makes this G5 feel long in the tooth though.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 03:12 PM

Leopard runs just fine on my G4 - no problems and pretty darned snappy. In fact, it's faster on my G4 than it is on the wife's Intel Mini.<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 05:23 PM

My wife runs Vista.. granted she doesn't do anything heavy... but I haven't had to fix a single thing since she got it for Christmas.<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/19/08 05:44 PM

I'm running VMWare Fusion with a botched downloaded copy of XP. It runs fine though but can't be updated from Microsoft because it's not authentic. Who cares? I use it just to test certain web pages on Windows anyway. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 09/25/08 06:12 PM

I vote for XP under Parallels.. Vista's overhead is much more than you would like handled by any virtualization or emulation software.<br><br>Best of luck and let us know how things progress with you.<br><br>[color:blue]flick</font color=blue>[color:red]r</font color=red><br> <br>http://babonga.org
Posted by: NomNom

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 12/03/08 09:09 AM

I'm running Vista with Fusion on an "early 2008" iMac. I turned off all the Vista visuals to reduce the overhead and disabled a load of background and startup apps (itunes sneaks a bunch of stuff in) but then I'm running 3dsMax in Windows which is a high needs app so I want as much power for that as I can get. I have XP on my Dell so I've used both Vista and XP but I'm not big on Windows overall and I'm not partial to either version really. From the point of view of a non-expert I really don't notice that one is significantly different from the other on the surface at least. In the end they're both Windows.

I got Vista because I want to get the "going forward" version. But I also got Home Basic because all the fancy stuff just duplicates stuff I have on my Mac anyway. I use freeware security software in windows for overall low cost.

If you don't mind me asking, what web stuff are you (OP) trying to do in Windows?
Posted by: zwei

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 12/04/08 06:45 AM

To the people worried about having the newest OS ...it's not going to matter for too much longer. Windows 7 is coming out in the not too distant future. While it's not going to be a huge shift from Vista (think Snow Vista) ...I'd still probably get XP dirt cheap at the moment and then buy an upgrad to 7 after SP1 comes out for it.

IE 8 is already being tested by people in XP ..you don't have to worry about it not being compatible. The only thing that you'd have to worry about would be DirectX 10/11 and that's nothing to worry about in Virtualization because if you needed it you'd most likely have to boot native to get the performance you were looking for anyway.

Anyone who has run Windows in a VM knows how much of an impact it has on your system ...especially RAM wise. The less you can get away with, the better. I've actually just bought a 4GB RAM kit for my iMac because 2GB just isn't enough for me anymore when I have Windows running. (set to use 768MB RAM) Running Vista would be even more taxing.

Unless you have a Mac Pro with 8 cores and 4+ GB RAM ...then run whatever you want wink

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 12/04/08 09:07 AM

I decided to install XP using VirtualBox. Runs without a problem, and at a fairly decent speed, I might add. It's more than adequate for the occassional need to pop into Windows for some Web stuff.
Posted by: Richard Quinn

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 01/23/09 12:50 PM

Vista Home Premium should be perfect for your situation and it costs less.

Re: Windows XP or Vista for running on Mac? - 01/27/09 04:24 AM

I tried Vista... it was a slow, pain in the arse! I ended up sticking with XP