Parallels and Windows questionj - easy

Posted by: SmilesLots

Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 11:48 AM

I have ordered Parallels. What version of Windows would be the best to get to go with it. XP home? I've heard nasty things about Vista (and of course all MS stuff). Just curious about what the Mac folks who also run Windows recommend. TIA<br>John<br><br>Stuff
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 11:57 AM

What do you need to run Windows for? My advice would be to go with the oldest version of Windows that does what you need. I use Windows 2000 for what little Windows stuff I need.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 12:28 PM

Thanks. That is what I was thinking as well. It's between XP home w/sp3 or 2000. There are several video programs for blu-ray that I suspect will require XP and I found a good deal on eBay for it, new in pkg w/COA. <br><br>Stuff
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 01:23 PM

I would go with XP home. Most forgiving, likely you won't miss the XP professional baggage. There are some things you may miss using 2000. I don't know what because we skipped over that version but the one brother I have who is still using 2000 has aged prematurely because of it.<br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 01:44 PM

I'd agree on XP home - also because it's the most 'supported' winOS compared to 2000 in Parallels, so its use is the most transparent when you're switching around between win and osx. Less weirdness with drivers etc., just install it and off you go.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 02:36 PM

XP Home for $85. For another five bucks they have it with SP3 but you can download that for free.<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Parallels and Windows questionj - easy - 08/20/08 09:00 PM

Yeah, XP would be the way to go then. I mostly just happened to have a copy of WIndows 2000 on hand it just so happened to just be enough to work with my district's brain-dead VPN software. (For some reason, they think it should be necessary for everyone to use the most security hole ridden trio of technologies, Windows, Internet Explorer, and Active X.)<br><br>I'm so glad that both Parallels and VMWare are in on this game with VirtualBox coming in on their heels. If it weren't for those companies pushing each other on the Macintosh platform, we'd probably have half of the features in any one of those solutions.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Thanks everyone - 08/21/08 03:46 AM

Ordered XP home. Close to 100 clams, but hey it's just fake money anyway. Since I've never used an MS OS I hope the good folks here can help me out when I get stuck.<br>Blessings<br>JC<br><br>Stuff