Intel won't install Vista

Posted by: yoyo52

Intel won't install Vista - 06/25/08 09:20 PM

I guess that when you're down, you're down.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 02:29 AM

I love reading the comments. Looks like more than a few have upgraded to OSX. <br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 05:13 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I love reading the comments. Looks like more than a few have upgraded to OSX. <p><hr></blockquote><p>I always read the comments also...It seems that just about the only reason some hesitate to 'switch' is the price of a Mac....any Mac. <br>As to 'Vista', I can understand the unwillingness to 'upgrade'. Why shell out the upgrade fee now when Windows 7 comes out in 2010? <br><br><br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 05:30 AM

It looks like about 50 % of the posters are now Mac are are threatening to go Mac.<br>Kewl!<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: DLC

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 05:51 AM

DANG YoYo...can't you sleep late for a change ?<br><br>beat me to it !! <br><br>I bet that chaps' Ballmer's "family jewels" <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: SteveS

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 07:39 AM

I don't know why this would be a big surprise to anyone. Large corporations are very slow to upgrade to the latest and greatest OS. It wasn't long ago that they've migrated from Windows 2000 to XP. In the business world, you need stability and compatibility above anything else. Vista, like any new OS represents change and incompatibility to some degree. What's the incentive to be first to embrace this? It makes much more sense to let the OS mature a bit with another service pack to two and to wait until more third party vendors are better aligned with Vista based products. The problem for Vista is that third parties aren't exactly pushing Vista either.<br><br>With consumers, most will just use whatever you give them. Remember, the majority of the PC world is the "good enough" mentality as opposed to computer enthusiasts. Some will revert back to XP, some will switch to Macs, but these are clearly the vocal minority.<br><br>It does help Apple that Leopard has generally been well received while Vista has not though. Still, just as the press was unfair to Apple when they were down, they are really beating on Microsoft and I'm not sure it's warranted. Sure, Vista disappointed those who expected the features promised with Longhorn. But, is Vista really that bad? Not from what I've seen. It's an improvement (for the most part) over XP. It's just that most users don't need more than XP.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 07:39 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>“Microsoft says there are more than 140 million copies of Vista installed on machines worldwide.”<br>Eight of them actually work.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 09:50 AM

EIGHT !! ?? <br><br>I think they're padding their data !! <br><br>HA HA HA HA !<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 02:17 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But, is Vista really that bad? Not from what I've seen. It's an improvement (for the most part) over XP. It's just that most users don't need more than XP.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I have to concur, I don't fully understand the backlash either. I suppose people suspected Vista would follow them to the bathroom and wipe their arse or something. Vista actually is better than XP.<br><br>Still, the switch to 64 bit from 32 bit XP for me has been rather... dull and painless. I'm let down, I was expecting headaches!<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/26/08 02:44 PM

Still, the switch to 64 bit from 32 bit XP for me has been rather... dull and painless. I'm let down, I was expecting headaches!<br><br>Yup, clearly you suffer from Stockholm Syndrome; disappointed because you weren't disappointed. That is exactly what more than a few Sox fans were saying.<br><br>•<br><br>My only PC-using friend upgraded to XP in November 2006 from '98. He's barely even scratched the surface of what constitutes a good working backup image of XP. The 98 process he could do in his sleep (from having done it so much, I suppose).<br><br>Of course any one of the last couple of machines he's built would easily run Vista but every sad story he's heard about Vista evens his conviction that he should stay put.<br><br>Does anyone doubt Microsoft's next OS will be make or break? And how much money will marketing have to spend to overcome the stigma of Vista.<br><br>I hear Ballmer has an ad campaign in the works to counter Apple's Hello. I'm a PC.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/27/08 05:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yup, clearly you suffer from Stockholm Syndrome; disappointed because you weren't disappointed. That is exactly what more than a few Sox fans were saying.<p><hr></blockquote><p> Not me. Beat the Yankees into the cellar every year would be just dandy. I love disappointment. On the faces of Yankee fans!<br><br>As for Vista, I concur with SteveS. My Institute just fully implemented WinXP last year. If we stay on schedule they will roll out Vista days before the world ends on December 21, 2012. But that's being optimistic. <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/27/08 06:32 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>sad story he's heard about Vista evens his conviction that he should stay put.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not unlike OS X when it was first released. I thought we'd never get over the groanings I heard. How different it was. It was too difficult. It was too slow (okay, it really was slow!)<br><br>I was dumb enough to pay for the public beta, and instantly loved it! Now I could do a lot of the stuff I did in linux. I knew it would be great one day after some polishing, and here we are at Leopard. It's great, and fast (although thanks a lot to hardware).<br><br>Of course, all desktop OSes are now dinosaurs. Except for those of us doing some specialized stuff, do you really need an OS anymore? <br><br>My latest Asus PC motherboard lets me bypass the OS completely to check email, browse the net, and view photos. 5 seconds from cold start and you're online! I think a good amount of people could simply get by on that day to day.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/27/08 06:39 AM

Not unlike OS X when it was first released. I thought we'd never get over the groanings I heard. How different it was. It was too difficult. It was too slow (okay, it really was slow!)<br><br>I was dumb enough to pay for the public beta, and instantly loved it!<br><br>I, too, bought the PB and instantly loved OS X. In reality, it wasn't any more difficult than OS 9, just slightly different on the user front end. The potential was immediately evident.<br><br>

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/27/08 07:02 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>My Institute just fully implemented WinXP last year.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Sounds like your institutes IS department sucks ass. ;)<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Intel won't install Vista - 06/27/08 07:25 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Sounds like your institutes IS department sucks ass. ;)<p><hr></blockquote><p>Sounds like? I can tell you what it feels like but it would take too long. Just picture Jimmy Cliff in the movie "Harder They Come" bent over the barrel and you might understand the half of it.<br><br>One part of one long story: they were going to protect me by putting me in a VDMZ. That would be a virtual Demilitarized zone so my servers could do what I want which is have selective access from inside and outside. (Something I easily do on my own down to selective sub directory access from selective subnets.) But what it really did was treat me like I had VD and sequester my servers in quarantine while removing my ability to change any access.<br><br>I could go on and on but there is a dude at my door with a large whip gotta run.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>