osx on pc's

Posted by: padmavyuha

osx on pc's - 06/19/08 02:06 AM

http://macuser.pcpro.co.uk/?news/news_story.php?id=205776<br><br>We'll see, eh?<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: osx on pc's - 06/19/08 05:36 AM

Looks like it might happen unless Apple's lawyers can stab it first. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: osx on pc's - 06/19/08 05:49 AM

Good thing, bad thing, or just... thing? Discuss...<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Alec_Fromm

Re: osx on pc's - 06/19/08 05:56 AM

If installing OS X on WinBoxes becomes popular, I hope Apple triples the price of the OS and offers security contracts with those who will need the help adjusting to the new world of viruses, pop-ups, pop-unders and myraid of other pieces of crap Windoze users take for granted. <br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: osx on pc's - 06/19/08 08:12 AM

Triples the OS prices??? How about if they lower the prices for someone who has an actual Mac and then quadruple them for everyone else?<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: osx on pc's - 06/19/08 08:36 AM

There was an early Darwin build that ran on Intel architecture (Apple did that) maybe in anticipation of the switch from PPC, so it has pretty much always been a possibility to run X on a generic PC.<br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: osx on pc's - 06/19/08 09:21 AM

It's going to be good for the hacker types. Bad for people expecting it to "just work" like Mac OS X says it does. I think you'll always have more problems on a box that wasn't made by Apple than one that was. So, it depends on what you want. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: carp

Re: osx on pc's - 06/20/08 01:32 AM

[color:blue] I think you'll always have more problems on a box that wasn't made by Apple than one that was.</font color=blue> <-- exactly,, Apple would lose control of the hardware integration. You now would have OEM installed drivers for whatever pice of crap they would install in their boxes that changes every month.<br><br>Remember the Mac Clones and the return to the Mac Clones part two - I don't think Apple will go down that road again. However that the clones, Radius, Day Star Digital, ATS, Power Tower and some others did kick Apples collective arse in marketing and price and most cases in speed too. Apple lost control.<br><br>Microsoft;<br>IMO their biggest problem and why Vista crashed and burned is because of all the legacy hardware and software it must bear <-- simply MS let the OEMs run ramped while they focused on licensing schemes and not controlling the platform.<br><br>