SW devs ignoring VISTA

Posted by: MacBozo

SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/16/08 11:41 AM

Micro$oft really has a winner, don't they?<br><br>92 percent of developers ignoring Vista?<br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/16/08 01:54 PM

Are they all waiting for Windows 7?<br>We have abandoned plans to have 'Vista' installed on our new machines (due this summer). Dell will install XP SP3 on all 300 computers.<br>Considering that we're on a four-year replacement cycle, I don't know if we're going to see 'Vista' in the near future. <br>As for those developers: they'll come around to 'Vista' in a year or two.<br>They have no choice...(they're not all going to switch to another OS like Linux or OS X).<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/16/08 02:54 PM

Well, they do have a choice... and SOME of them WILL come around to OS X and/or Linux. (Probably even more will learn Apple's dev tools thanks to iPhone.) Still others will migrate to platform-agnostic web apps. (And some day they won't have any choice but to LEAVE Windows. Whether it's in 5 years or 50, nothing lasts forever. Not Windows, not Macs.)<br><br>Also, new developers are always springing up, and older ones are shutting down or being bought out. It's a changing group. So a shift away from Windows doesn't only mean developers changing what they do: it can include Windows-only devs closing down, while newly-formed companies develop for more than Windows.<br><br>BTW here's an article from BEFORE Vista's release, about the number of WIndows developers dropping 12% in a year, with Linux taking a lot of development:<br><br>http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18448<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: DLC

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/16/08 08:33 PM

HA HA HA HA HA !! <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: carp

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/16/08 09:47 PM

Humm - I wonder if maybe<br><br>Application developers swarm to iPhone<br><br>Some excerpts;<br><br>[color:blue]Apple recently provided the tools engineers need to create applications for its popular mobile device. The Cupertino company said some 250,000 iPhone software development kits have been downloaded. </font color=blue><br><br>Keep in mind that the App Store will be located "inside" the iTunes Store - more fresh bait for Apple<br><br>[color:blue]Apple could be creating a billion-dollar industry built around the iPhone, said Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. In a recent note to investors, Munster wrote that the App Store could create a $1 billion-plus iPhone ecosystem by the end of 2009</font color=blue> <-- Ka Ching, lets see 30% of a billion bucks off someone else's work, good move Apple<br><br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/16/08 10:06 PM

I know someone whos job was wiring central exchanges for phone companies. Amazingly complicated down to the different twists of the wire telling you where and what the wire was for. You have 10,000 houses coming into an exchange it gets a little crowded. <br>That job was a job set for life. But he knew to get out when digital showed up. All that hung in got laid off years later. No exchanges are wired now. No such thing. <br><br>Windows may disappear faster than phone exchanges and the people who are doing the wiring are no dummies. The smart ones are bailing now.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Clark

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/17/08 10:49 AM

Oh no, say it ain't so. It just breaks my heart.<br><br><br>
Posted by: SteveS

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/17/08 10:51 AM

"92 percent of developers ignoring Vista?"<br><br>Since our MS cheerleader isn't here, I'll play the devil's advocate. In reality, developers are writing for the .Net framework which means their software will run on both XP and Vista. Considering the majority of the Windows user base is still on XP, it would make sense that there is no rush to code for Vista specific features.<br><br>With that said, Vista has been taking a beating in the press. I'm not sure it's entirely warranted. It's pretty safe to say that the majority of the Windows using population are not enthusiasts. Likewise, it's not surprising that they prefer to stick with XP which is "good enough". Windows by definition is the "good enough" platform as it has never been the "best". There seems to be an assumption that everyone is waiting for Windows 7. I'm not sure that's true. The XP using people I talk to use it because for them it works and they see no reason to risk upgrading and breaking drivers, etc. <br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: SW devs ignoring VISTA - 06/17/08 02:58 PM

Heck, even Mac developers are using .Net <br><br>http://unity3d.com<br><br>(OK, technically, the open source clone of .Net, Mono.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net