Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels

Posted by: starmillway

Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 02:31 PM

Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels / Fusion<br><br>Basic differences?<br><br>Are they like Blu Ray / HDDVD?<br><br>Beta / VHS ?<br><br>Do I understand that one you have to 'boot into' and the other<br><br>Runs seamlessly beside OS X all the time?<br><br>From another thread I think I've decided on Win XP but do I need home version, simple, pro ?<br><br>I just want Windows occasionally when something says it won't work on Macintosh or for a prog not available in OS X AND . . . because I like toys <br><br>My daughter knows a guy at Linfield who works on Macs that I'll get to install and maintain it for me.<br><br>The person to whom I hand down this Mac will get a nice bonus feature too. It will be a while. I wonder what features my NEXT Mac will have that this one does not. I don't want a MacAir deally bob! I know -- I want a Macintosh all in one with a personal 24/7 in house trainer !! egads! just when I thought I had just about anything I could ever dream of or want! [drooling now at the thought]<br><br>Edit:<br>Fusion: without rebooting<br>Parrallels: side-by-side?<br>Boot Camp: Okay, I'm learning. Boot Camp assistant is on my Mac, so I already have it?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by starmillway on 02/25/08 06:01 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Compare Bootcamp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 03:02 PM

I'd suggest Parallels/VMWare Fusion unless you absolutely NEED boot camp. <br><br>If you aren't going to play 3D games or apps that rely a lot on the GPU of your Mac then Virtualization software is your best bet. It's safer because you don't have to partition your HD and it's much easier to back up. If things go wrong, just throw away the disk image and start with a fresh copy or recent good backup.<br><br>Just make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM ...otherwise it will likely slow your machine down if you keep both active for any length of time. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Compare Bootcamp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 03:33 PM

10 or more years ago, I had a virtual windows prog [the one Microsoft now owns, I think] on my 7100av Mac. It was danged slow, fer sure! I was using Microsoft Word, Excel, a slide show program I can't remember the name of and PageMaker.<br><br>I have 4 MB RAM on this iMac. Will it be more responsive than 10 years ago? <br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 03:48 PM

I was looking at the same question over the weekend as to what to do to replace Virtual PC and my Windows 95 (I only need one old program a few times).<br><br>Here is one article I found helpful. The cheapest I was able to find was $185.00<br><br><br><br>_______<br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 04:30 PM

Excellent MacTech! Read it, but will read it again. Benchmarking tests are a little confusing for me but at the conclusion:<br><br><blockquote>Boot Camp, VMware Fusion and Parallels are all very good, each in their own way. You should make your decisions based on what your needs are as a result.<br><br>If you don't want Mac integration, and just want to run Windows, go with Boot Camp. It's faster than a PC anyway.<br><br>If you want a virtualization product (that allows you to run Windows alongside Mac OS X), and you want the best performance for the types of things that we tested, then clearly you need to run XP and not Vista. Furthermore, in our tests, both VMware Fusion and Parallels performed well, and were a good user experience. That said, Parallels was somewhat faster in general than VMware Fusion for XP.<br><br>If you want the best virtualization performance for Vista, then VMware Fusion is your choice. And, if you want to keep your Mac OS X and Windows environments completely separate, VMware Fusion's design may be your better choice. (And, although we didn't test it, we would expect VMware Fusion to have better multi-processor support if you really have an application that is designed to take advantage of it.) If your goal is tight integration between one or more Windows applications and Mac OS X, Parallels is the clear winner when running either XP or Vista. And, as we said before, if you want the best XP performance with the types of applications tested here, Parallels is not only faster than VMware Fusion, but it's faster than Boot Camp on average for the applications that we tested.</blockquote><br><br>don't want Mac integration, and just want to run Windows, go with Boot Camp<br>run Windows alongside Mac OS X parallels was somewhat faster in general than VMware Fusion for XP<br>keep your Mac OS X and Windows environments completely separate, VMware Fusion's design may be your better choice<br><br><br>[color:blue]Read it again. I'm thinking Boot Camp for me. A fast PC with Windows when I want it. Not going to integrate much so I'll get Win XP.</font color=blue><br><br>Thanks, Bigger! <br>or<br>Thanks Dr. Foot! ha, ha, ha, . . . . . . .<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 04:58 PM

If you have any friends, relatives, grandkids, etc. who have access to an 'educational discount', get 'Windows XP Pro (SP2). The savings are tremendous!<br>XP Pro (SP2) can be had for under $80.00 in any campus store!<br>And it's the 'full' edition, not some sort of water down 'student/teacher' edition.<br><br>And, go with 'Boot Camp'! <br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 05:17 PM

I ended up getting Parallels and a full version of XP that I can install with bootcamp in case I decide to go that way later. <br><br>It is my understanding that the OEM versions that come packaged with Parallels/VMware can only be installed with the virtual machines and as a stand alone install...maybe mistaken though as my Virtual PC came with a full version of 95.<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 06:42 PM

I run Windows XP Pro SP2 under Bootcamp. My main complaint is that I use a bluetooth keyboard exclusively and when I'm booting into Windows, I can't type my username/password with the bluetooth keyboard. I have to go looking for a USB keyboard either in my son's room or in the basement family room (where my old iMac is living now), so I don't use it much. It's really a pain that Windows can't boot with a bluetooth keyboard, IMHO. <br><br>My 2 cents...<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 06:58 PM

i bought Parallels and use it on my Blackbook 2 GHz Core Duo. i am not pleased with the speed of Windows on this machine, but it certainly puts Virtual PC on the older Macs to shame. it's tolerable, but i have stopped using Parallels for Windows and now just use it for Ubuntu (though, i can't get the latest version installed yet).<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/25/08 07:12 PM

Have you tried changing the performance preferences for your virtual machine with the Configuration Editor in Parallels? If it's set to allow OS X more resources, your Windows environment will be slower than it could be.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 05:50 AM

I use Parallels both at work and home. I do not have any experience with Fusion, so cannot comment on it. Parallels works really well for applications such as Office and non-gaming applications, and seems to run nearly as fast as typical PCs. (It's light speed compared with the old Virtual PC.) A nice thing about Parallels is that you do not have to partition your HD to install it, however, if you do have a Boot Camp partition with Windows installed, Parallels can use that too. Then you have the best of both worlds, reboot for best performance or run in virtualization for most convenience. There is a mode in Parallels (called “coherence”) that makes the Windows desktop transparent. You see the Windows taskbar at the bottom, Mac menubar at the top, and the Mac dock under Windows or at the side. I pin mine to the side. All running applications, including Windows applications, are shown in the Mac dock and you can switch between them just like Mac applications. You can also operate in single window or full screen mode for a Windows look and feel (Ugh!).<br><br>If you're not into Windows server management, workgroups, and file encryption, you probably don't need XP Professional. Compare list of features -> here<br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 06:44 AM

The good thing is parallels and fusion both have trial versions available. Download them and give em a shot. At the moment, I prefer VMWare Fusion ...but in reality they both do almost the EXACT same thing. Fusion just utilizes multiple CPUs/Cores and parallels doesn't ....although I have heard from a Parallels rep that called our office that they are getting ready to release a new version in a couple months or so. It will probably add that feature. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 10:04 AM

You people were ALL very helpful and I want to thank you for the assistance in making up my mind. Great group! I can't wait to get it finished and play around. Anyone know of a web page offering OEM Win XP Home edition cheap[est]? A reliable one? I found several but am not sure about them. I use to get a lot of SPAM offering unbelievably cheap software.<br><br>Mike,<br><br>I've decided I don't need the full-blown, includes the kitchen sink Win XP Pro. The home version will be enough. I have no means of getting the educational version so I'll have to go with commercial edition. The OEM offering web pages I've looked at: How can I be sure they are not rip off places?<br><br>Bigger,<br><br>I am going with Boot Camp. Your input was really helpful.<br><br>Donna,<br><br>Good to know you're using Boot Camp and I guess pleased with the results other than the keyboard issue.<br><br>"F"[sm]<br><br>Didn't know what Ubuntu was so looked it up and read about it. Hope you get yours working as you want it to work soon.<br><br>Scout,<br><br>Comparing them showed me I don't need Pro. Thanks for that and also the comment about speed over old VPC. I used it years ago and it was practically worthless! Your first hand 'look' at how they appear on the Mac screen was helpful too. Thanks for the input.<br><br>Zwei,<br><br>The products appear to be close in 'features' and 'functioning'. They just have small things that make them useful to different people for different reasons. I'm too chicken to try out the free trial periods of them though.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 10:07 AM

My software order is on the way so I will be anxious to hear about your experience and opinion since I have not even ordered my computer yet!<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 10:47 AM

I use boot camp as well ...it's a fairly simple setup procedure. One thing you might want to know ...when you format the partition Windows is going on you may want to do what I did and choose FAT32 over NTFS. If you go with FAT32 the drive will show up on your OS X desktop and you can read/write to it. If you format it as NTFS you will have to copy things from one to the other via flash drive, or CD, etc. Although, you can't make the partition very big at with FAT32 ...not that I think you would need to. I'm pretty sure 32GB is the max size for a FAT32 drive. I have a 14GB partition myself. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 10:58 AM

Kate,<br><br>I don't know whether to raise this flag or not. When I received my copy of Parallels in 2006 (ordered with my iMac), there was a statement in the printed manual inside the box that said in System Requirements (p.16) "a full (not OEM) version of the operating system you wish to install." This requirement was not printed on the box, nor listed on the Parallels website, nor in the downloadable User manual. I sent a note to Parallels tech support asking whether it was an old limitation. The answer was "Sometimes OEM version of WindowsXP can not install on the VM created by PD4MAC. It is not some limitation of Parallels, but WindowsXP. OEM are made for certain computer type and this is sometimes checked during installation. So I recommend to order the Windows XP Home Edition Full."<br><br>I had already ordered a copy of Windows so everything would arrive together, and OEM was the cheapest. Without experimenting, I changed my order to the full version. So, if you have Windows already installed for Boot Camp, you may be OK. Otherwise, you might consider this. Maybe check with Parallels tech support to see if it is still valid, or maybe someone here has direct experience. As I say, I wasn't sure whether to raise the flag or not.<br><br>By the way, I had ordered XP from this place. I had found them by doing a search for cheapest on the OEM version, but they also had a reasonable price on the full version, and excellent service.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 11:14 AM

I went to your link and found this:<blockquote> <br>• Notes for Mac Users<br>If you want to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Apple� computer, you can use this software, or any 32-bit edition of Windows Vista or Windows XP (with SP2 on the installation disc) by using Apple's Boot Camp technology. However, OEM editions, like this one, will not work with Parallels. </blockquote><br><br>That OEM version will not work with Parallels.<br><br>http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprosp21.html [color:red]Free shipping</font color=red><br><br>If no one else chimes in with different info, I think if I use Boot Camp and buy this software all should be okee doakee . . . <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 11:33 AM

I used this with Boot Camp and it worked fine.<br><br>Same one but with free shipping. Wish I had found this one first.<br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 11:54 AM

Found XP Home Full Version at my cited site for 9 bucks more than yours [free shipping]<br><br>It sez: <blockquote>Microsoft Windows XP Home<br><br>This is a full version, so installing it will require a hard drive format or a blank hard drive. It will install on either a PC or an Intel-based Apple computer with Boot Camp, but not with Parallels. The Certificate of Authenticity is attached to the shrinkwrap. Do not lose this; it contains the product key.</blockquote><br><br>That and boot camp.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Akula

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 09:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>It's really a pain that Windows can't boot with a bluetooth keyboard, IMHO. <br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>It can. Your driver vendor needs to supply proper drivers, though.<br><br>Play World of Warcraft, for free!

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 09:46 PM

It's an Apple keyboard. What are the chances?<br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/26/08 10:18 PM

If this is a home computer, do you need Windows to boot up to the login screen? Mine is set to just automatically log in.<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/27/08 05:51 PM

i wouldn't recommend you even fiddle with Ubuntu. it's just a linux distribution. i really like to promote open source software to my students so i like using Ubtuntu in class from time to time just to show it's viable. but, the truth of the matter is that OS X is far better for the average person.<br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/27/08 06:15 PM

I'm going with Boot Camp and ordered Win XP home edition or something like that.<br><br>The Tax Assessor in Yamhill County web page has a prog that doesn't work with Macintosh. That's another thing I will use with Windows.<br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/27/08 08:04 PM

Great suggestion, Mike. I don't know if I can set it to log in automatically, but that's certainly worth a try. I love this keyboard and it's a pain to have to go looking for another one. <br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/27/08 08:14 PM

I only have one account so I didn't have to set it to login automatically so I assume you have more than one account. TweakUI lets you set auto login.<br><br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/28/08 08:56 AM

I went with Fusion for several reasons. <br><br>1: They had a great rebate - and the price at Amazon plus the rebate made it $42.00. <br><br>2: It supports multi-processors. Considering I have eight cores now, that was significant. <br><br>3: They had a free utility that let me convert my Virtual PC 7 volume to a volume Fusion can work with. After re-activation of XP Pro, it's worked flawlessly!<br><br>4: VMWare has a long history in virtualization.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/28/08 11:39 AM

Well, did I beat you? My XP Home arrived today (along with another new bit of software):<br><br><br><br>_______<br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/28/08 12:41 PM

Oooooooooooooooooooooo! You win. Mine comes tomorrow, maybe.<br><br>Send me the top app, I'll test it out for you. You're probably too busy right now with other stuff! <br><br>Have fun.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/28/08 04:34 PM

Well, at least you have computer to install it on...I still have not ordered mine!<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/28/08 05:01 PM

I think I only have the one account, but I always password protect my accounts just in case someone breaks into my house and steals the puter while I'm not home. I grew up in a city where people would steal your laundry off the clothesline and break into your house and steal the food from your fridge. Even though I live in the country now, I set the alarm on my car even if I'm just running in the house to get something. Old habits die hard. <br><br>PS: Once I bought a dog, back when I was living in the city, to protect my apartment. Someone stole my dog! <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dreed2 on 02/28/08 08:02 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: carp

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 02/29/08 08:15 PM

[color:blue]Someone stole my dog!</font color=blue> - Donna you can have a Vet these days install a micro chip under the dogs skin,, sorta "password protected mut" <br><br>
Posted by: tahoegazer

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 03/01/08 01:05 PM

Looking at the salient points:<br><br>1. Runs seamlessly beside OS X all the time?<br><br>2. From another thread I think I've decided on Win XP but do I need home version, simple, pro ?<br><br>3. I just want Windows occasionally when something says it won't work on Macintosh or for a prog not available in OS X AND . . . because I like toys <br><br>Based on the above:<br><br>1. Parallels or VMWare Fusion will do. My preference would be Parallels since it's developed inhouse<br><br>2. XP Home will do. Most features of XP Pro you'll never use.<br><br>3. Just make sure none of those apps are 3-d intensive games.<br> <br><br><br>

Re: Compare Boot Camp / Parrallels - 03/01/08 09:24 PM

My Win XP Home arrived yesterday. I need to do a back up and then install / partition -- do the Boot Camp thing and install Win XP.<br><br>Today I played outside all day. Sat down to enjoy supper and a gin and tonic. Went to get out of my chair and could hardly bend my joints. Hip hurt like h e c k. My body just insists on aging and I'm not ready for it to do that! <br><br>I was taking 1/2 yard of river rock out of back of Toyota and making a path -- actually widening my front walk by a little more than a foot.<br><br>Maybe I'll do the computer thing tomorrow.<br><br>Thanks for the input. <br><br><br><br>