can i buy a Vista upgrade

Posted by: FSM

can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/24/08 07:56 PM

i have Windows XP from my Virtual PC disks. i understand this is a licensed version of XP. well, now i have a new Mac Pro and i used VPC on my old G5. can i buy an upgrade version of Vista to install on the Mac Pro using boot camp or does XP need to be installed first?<br><br>I ask because i read the directions for how to get Virtual PC installed for use with Boot Camp and i think i'd rather just buy the full priced version of Vista before i try getting VPC's windows to work. egads! TIA.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/24/08 08:48 PM

Is there no way to buy a cheap copy of XP? I don't think the bad reviews of Vista are just by a minority of Microsoft haters. Its pretty sucky from what I hear.<br><br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/24/08 09:07 PM

Because I had Virtual PC 7 I decided to go with VMWare. They have a free utility that converts the Virtual PC list file to a volume that VMWare works with. It was flawless! I had to re-activate the Windows install, but it went pretty smoothly. I would highly recommend going that direction if you don't really have to use Boot Camp. <br><br>The other option is to get an OEM version of Vista. But Vista runs much slower in virtualization than XP Pro. So I'm glad I'm stuck with XP Pro.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/24/08 10:06 PM

Newegg and Amazon have Vista OEM disks for under $100 if all you need is the home version.<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/24/08 10:49 PM

I moved XP from VPC to VMWare. I can't say it went entirely smoothly, but it worked in the end. Good thing, or I would have had to buy Windows!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: polymerase

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 05:09 AM

I would second Trog's recommendation and stick with WinXP. I was at a meeting last week. 900 people for these talks and everything went smoothly. Except for one talk. The poor guy could not get his computer to behave with the projector. When he went out to Vista control panel to change settings there was an audible groan as we watched him fumble through the eye candy resetting things. It was really painful. Almost as painful as his talk which had the header off screen and the resolution was wrong.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 05:40 AM

I'd second the recommendation about OEM (otherwise known as system builders). You can get the full version of Vista ultimate for less than the retail price of Vista basic, and less than the price of an upgrade.<br><br>Newegg has oem Vista home for $109, and XP for $89 I believe.<br><br>However, the major drawback is that you can't transfer the license to a different machine.<br><br>Also I wouldn't listen to the bashers, Vista's fine. Hell I'd say go all out and get the 64 bit edition.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 06:29 AM

i don't really use Windows more than opening it up once a month or so. my rationale for Vista is that i could install it and not worry about being behind in 2 years or upgrading a year from now, etc. <br><br>i would rather use Boot Camp because i have a separate HD just for Windows and I'd like to run Windows Natively when i do use it. i have parallels on my Macbook and it doesn't really cut it.<br><br>i'll have to explore the OEM if i decide not to go with XP and the hassle.<br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 11:27 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I don't really use Windows more than opening it up once a month or so. My rationale for Vista is that i could install it and not worry about being behind in 2 years or upgrading a year from now, etc. <p><hr></blockquote><p> That seems faulty logic to me. WinXP is a fully hammered out system. Win XP running two years from now will be very close to today's WinXP. Vista today is a nice system but it is bug ridden and driver short. You will need to upgrade it constantly to keep it on the most recent version.<br><br>Unless there is a piece in Vista that is "must have" it would be lunacy to upgrade to Vista to only use once a month. The only "must have" that I have found in Vista is the sharp stick I "must have" to poke in my eye every time I use it.<br><br>I use WinXP every day and except for getting it to print to a printer of my choosing I almost like it now. It never crashes and is quite speedy even on some pretty old boxes. In Parallels WinXP is very cooperative.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 11:34 AM

my university appears to be shifting to Vista this fall, bless their souls. i just want to be current. okay, you've talked me out of it -- i'll figure out how to make my XP from Virtual PC work with Boot Camp. you win!<br><br>btw, i'll be back in Boston for a conference in early April. i think i present on April 3 and then my wife will join me on the 5th for another presentation. i believe we're in the same conference center. i'll let you know things as the date draws nearer, but i don't even know that i will be able to plan anything since the wifey has her own agenda. <br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 11:43 AM

WFs always have a different agenda. It looks like the new keystone Apple store directly across the street from the Hynes convention Center will open shortly before your arrival. I can bike over there in 5 minutes. This store will be four floors of glassed in goodness which may outdo the 5th Avenue store.<br><br>I'll show you my MBA.<br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 01:37 PM

And then when you get your XP completely up to date with patches, and the utilities you used are all installed... you can use this. No more installing or worrying about getting it off your VPC disks.<br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 02:33 PM

If upgrading to 'Vista' is a 'must', can't you get a substantial educational discount through your campus store?<br>I was able to purchase XP Pro for ca. $70.00 through our campus store.<br>'Vista' might be a bit more expensive, tho'.<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 02:52 PM

ooh, that would be sweet if an Apple store is in place in 5 weeks or so.<br><br>Trog, that link is why i ended up purchasing a separate internal HD just for Windows. i meant to thank you if i ever get it all up and going. <br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 02/25/08 04:06 PM

Don't thank me yet. I've successfully created a nice disk image for backup, but I haven't actually used it to restore yet. <br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/04/08 06:59 PM

well, i figured out how to make a bootable XP disk from the Virtual PC install disks. i had to do it using Parallels on the MacBook, but it actually ended up working. whew.<br><br>so, i installed XP using Boot Camp and it's working just swell. saved some money and it took about an hour so that's not bad. not for the feint at heart, though. you have to use the command line on a PC to get the bootable disk made.<br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/04/08 09:15 PM

You have Boot Camp and XP on your main HD or and external?<br><br>So, knowing me just from these forums*, do you think I can or cannot do the Boot Camp XP Home Edition myself? Will I have to use Terninal or DOS? I can't do either.<br><br>I just got my ssytem backed up today in preparation. I thought I was ready to go, IF I can do it myself. I'm not sure.<br><br><br>*and the messes I get myself into . . .<br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/04/08 09:32 PM

you just use the boot camp assistant and it's pretty painless if you have the time to wait (about 45 minutes probably). it has a 21 page manual, but i just brought it up on my laptop on the side so i didn't have to print it. it's really pretty easy and it walks you through most stuff. you'll need your leopard install disk to complete the process -- when Windows starts up, you eject the XP install disk and insert Leopard and it automatically pulls up the boot camp assistant and continues right along. i thought that was cool.<br><br>the legwork for me was creating an XP install disk. if you just bought XP then you're way ahead of where i started and you'll be fine.<br><br>i have 4 internal HDs in my computer. one of them is an 80 GB HD that i bought just for XP. that's where i installed it. unfortunately, i did something wrong and now that disk with XP is named Untitled. doh. i can't change it. ah well. <br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/04/08 09:37 PM

I can pull the manual up on one of my other Macs and read it. Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow.<br><br>Thanks.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: adot

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/05/08 06:21 PM

i did something wrong and now that disk with XP is named Untitled<br><br>To rename it simply boot into windows and open My Computer. Right click on the C drive, select properties and rename it there, the partition should then be renamed accordingly when you boot back into Mac OS X.<br><br>

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/05/08 06:27 PM

oooh, that's easy. thanks bunches. <br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/06/08 05:10 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...now that disk with XP is named Untitled.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You're not alone! I did the same thing, and now there's this silly icon on my HD called 'Untitled'...<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Re: can i buy a Vista upgrade - 03/06/08 06:36 PM

adot's solution worked. whew. <br><br>