Akula, XP Question

Posted by: zwei

Akula, XP Question - 01/16/08 09:43 AM

I am running out of space on my XP partition thanks to a couple large games. I seem to recall a way to delete all of the excess Windows XP setup files (the ones that are used when installing something without needing to insert the Windows CD)<br><br>Where are these files located ..and can I just delete them or do I need to do something special to reclaim that space?<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Akula, XP Question - 01/16/08 10:43 AM

Get the CCleaner (CrapCleaner -- honestly) for that, and a few other basic maintenance tasks. I've used on my PC for a couple years now. Long ago I used to go deep inside the Windows system folders to find that crap. Not anymore.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MicMeister on 01/16/08 01:45 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Akula, XP Question - 01/16/08 10:57 AM

I've already got that installed ....I got rid of a couple hundred meg of stuff with it ...just looking for more. <br><br>I found a post over in the MacRumor forums that helped me get rid of a couple gig (reducing the system restore and virtual disk space)<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Akula

Re: Akula, XP Question - 01/17/08 09:38 AM

You can delete any of the C:\Windows\$somefoldername$ folders. Those are for any updates you've installed (hotfixes, service packs). You will not be able to uninstall the hotfix/SP after you do this.<br><br>Service Pack files are held in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\. Just a warning though, if you delete this folder, any component installed via Add/Remove Programs will be from what ever your CD is (be it RTM, SP1, or SP2) so you will have to reapply the current service pack you're using.<br><br>Play World of Warcraft, for free!

Re: Akula, XP Question - 01/17/08 10:05 AM

Isn't there a folder you can delete that has the files to install all of those extra Windows features that aren't installed? You know ..where you can uninstall things like Outlook Express, calculator, MS Paint, solitaire, etc. The things you can install/reinstall without putting the Win CD in?<br><br>I have deleted the other things you mentioned above. I didn't have a service pack folder because i used a slipstreamed CD with SP2 on it already.<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Akula

Re: Akula, XP Question - 01/17/08 11:45 AM

No, only the service pack folder I mentioned will be on disk. Otherwise you'll be asked for the CD. Vista/2008 are the first OSes to not require the CD after-the-fact for installation of new components.<br><br>Play World of Warcraft, for free!

Re: Akula, XP Question - 01/17/08 01:42 PM

Gotcha ...I can get by on this for a while. If I need mmore space I'll probably just repartition<br><br>zweisoft<br>