Anyone else using Parallels?

Posted by: G4Dualie

Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/17/07 03:56 PM

I finally bought it and I'm not all that impressed with the constraints I have to operated under. It's very nice to be able to run OS X and XP side-by-side and being able to drag files bwtn systems but, I don't like the hardware limitations imposed by Parallels. <br><br>For example, I am limited to 64 MB of video RAM and 1.5 GB of RAM. Forget about playing games with that kind of limitation. In fact, Crysis won't even load while using Parallels. I suppose it's fine if you're not playing games or using high-demand video software.<br><br>To play Crysis, I just boot into XP and it is able to make use of all of my Macs resources.<br><br>I am impressed with Parallels though. I like the software and chose it over VMWare's Fusion. I may have to try that next. Is anyone here using or tried Fusion?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/17/07 04:00 PM

nope! but at least you have alternatives. I'm still stuck with VPC.<br><br>
Posted by: Akula

Re: Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/17/07 04:11 PM

This is standard for virtualization software. The only thing the display is used for is displaying stuff, so virtualization software typically emulates ~8MB S3 Trio card.<br><br>You should be able to assign close to 4GB of memory to the VM (but your host has to have over 4GB RAM).<br><br>You'll never be able to play games like Crysis.<br><br>VMWare should be a bit better, especially with SMP guest support (but you should only use SMP when warranted; it can slow the guest VM down if SMP is not necessary).<br><br>Play World of Warcraft, for free!
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/17/07 05:59 PM

I installed Parallels using my Boot Camp installation volume. It provides the best of both worlds, as I can now choose whether or not I need full hardware acceleration.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/17/07 06:03 PM

I only have Boot Camp for running XP. It is a pain to have to reboot, but it sure beats driving 1/2 hour to get to the college computer lab! <br><br>
Posted by: GingerBreadMan

Re: Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/17/07 06:38 PM

I use Parallels to run Windows 2000, so I can do quick testing with IE 6 on Windows. I like it because it boots real quick.<br><br>I also use Parallels to toy with different Linux distros. Install, play, drag to trash.<br><br>My only complaint with Boot camp is the need for XP, which would mean forking out $$ for an OS I don't need*. My last retail version of Windows is 2000 and I don't think it will install with boot camp unless there is a hack on the Internets, which I never really looked for one.<br><br><br><br>*Christ, it's cheaper to buy a new PC with Vista installed - what's up with that? Well, not really but it sure seems like it.<br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Anyone else using Parallels? - 12/18/07 12:14 AM

I'm using parallels with XP on my MBP C2D with Tiger, and it's working just fine for what I need it for - mostly using accounts software that's PC-only, some stuff like the Oxford English Dictionary that came on a PC-only CD (idiots...) and online banking websites that hate macs, virtual desktop invitations etc. Also to test our charity's website on both pcs and macs. It's very convenient. And so far, no viruses!<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>