Parallels Software and external speakers

Posted by: greenhorn

Parallels Software and external speakers - 05/31/07 01:03 PM

I'm new to the world of iMacs, but I bought one and have taken the plunge. However, in escaping from the world of PCs, I have discovered that I have to learn how to crawl, once more, before I can walk again. So here are two questions that I currently have. 1. Because I installed Windows XP "upgrade" with the Parallels software, I have no Microsoft Word, or other programs of that nature. Do I need to uninstall this program and go buy the actual Windows XP program in order to have these programs? As well, I cannot get the Windows XP to operate the Internet, is this also because of the XP "upgrade" program? Or, I am just an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing?<br><br>2. Concerning external speakers. I have an external speaker system, complete with a subwoofer, which I am trying to connect to my iMac. According to the booklet that came with iMac, you are suppose to connect your external speaker system in the jack on the back of the monitor with the "headphones" insignia. I've done this. I even went out and bought a new subwoofer cable because I thought that was the problem--no dice. My question is do I need some kind of special cable for the external speakers, and/or am I connecting the system to the right port?<br><br>Thanks, <br>Scott<br><br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: Parallels Software and external speakers - 06/01/07 06:33 AM

<blockquote>Windows XP "upgrade" with the Parallels software, I have no Microsoft Word</blockquote><br>Microsoft Word is not packaged with the full or "Upgrade" version of Windows XP. You need to have purchased Microsoft Word separately to have been able to install it (unless you had "OEM"). If you are going to fork out money for Windows Word anyway, I would suggest buying the Mac version. Or the guys here could recommend an alternative altogether. I don't use Word much so I couldn't help you there.<br><blockquote> I cannot get the Windows XP to operate the Internet</blockquote><br>You may need to provide a little more details. I remember it was not too difficult to set up. I had it running on my MacBook Pro but I actually haven't got round to buying an activation key so I can't take a look.<br><blockquote>Concerning external speakers. I have an external speaker system, complete with a subwoofer, which I am trying to connect to my iMac</blockquote><br>Where are you connecting to in the external speaker system. Is it one of those gaming systems? It should work. IIRC the "headphones" port could double up as a "Line Out". Again someone with an iMac could help.<br><br>BTW have you had a look at your System Preferences>Sound? You may need to select the appropriate Sound Output port (I think it could be Digital Out) if it hasn't adjusted automatically.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bookrat on 06/01/07 09:41 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Parallels Software and external speakers - 06/01/07 07:26 AM

For the speakers--go to the Sound Control Pane and see if the output option is the problem (it probably isn't, but you never know). I know this is silly to suggest, but just in case: are the speakers powered on?<br><br>As for Word--as bookrat says, Word does not come with XP. You have to buy it separately. If you can't afford to buy Word at this point, I'd suggest you use something like NeoOffice. It's good because (1) it's freeware, (2) it's not tied to MS, (3) it opens MS Word, Excel, and PP files and saves to those formats. It's not so good because (1) although generally good enough, it's not entirely transparent in relation to MS Office, (2) it's slow as can be opening up.<br><br>