Parallels

Posted by: FSM

Parallels - 05/21/07 10:30 PM

wow, i can't believe i waited so long to get into using parallels for Mac. the other day, i installed Windows XP using my Virtual PC image on my G5. right now i am surfing in firefox on Ubuntu (linux) and this thing is zooming. i always wanted to fiddle with ubuntu, but i didn't want to install it on a computer if i didn't really have a use for it. but, with parallels i can just fiddle and it's pretty cool. ubuntu has brought linux a long way from the last time i fiddled with a linux build. very impressive.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 07:13 AM

Yes, Parallels is the way to go.<br>Rumor has it that Leopard's Bootcamp will be the cat's meow.<br><br>p.s. Are you feeling okay? I'm worried about you.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 07:24 AM

Do you mean his new ID? I think he changed it to match MC.<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 07:53 AM

exactly. i have 2 computers and then use lab computers from time to time. i am just trying to get something consistent to combat my forgetfulness. <br><br>

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 08:29 AM

There are at least 3 of you here that have different names for MC and MM.<br>Let's just say I pick a name at random like Sean. I'd use my name Sean both here and at MC.<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 09:14 AM

maybe your name, "sean" was tainted and potentially your mother (and other family members) knows you post on these forums as "sean." perhaps your beliefs would shock your mother who is an ultra christian conservative. perhaps she doesn't know how to search for back posts, but has a link to the forum and might actually open a sean post??? you sure wouldn't want your mother to know your inner thinking . . . and, it's not because you hide it from her; rather, you just choose not to share this to keep her from having a heart attack**. <br><br>**note, i am sure you'd talk to your mother about the things you say here, but you'd rather not have her read things here without being able to engage in a dialog with her.<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 10:25 AM

ok<br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 10:30 AM

Sounds like this mysterious "sean" is pretty sure his mom won't recognize him by his avatar. <br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Just push play ~ They're gonna bleep it anyway ~ </font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 11:06 AM

i'll bet he's pretty certain his mother won't visit and probably wouldn't click on a random thread anyway as she's not too tech savvy, but just in case he's not making it super easy. you'd have to ask sea . . . er topper. <br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 02:20 PM

Hey, I fooled everybody with my username change awhile back. Nobody knows I'm really me. I don't want to say too much about it, though. I'd hate to blow my cover.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Just push play ~ They're gonna bleep it anyway ~ </font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 03:22 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>**note, i am sure you'd talk to your mother about the things you say here, but you'd rather not have her read things here without being able to engage in a dialog with her.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I don't generally talk to my mom about things I post anywhere, but I could dialogue with her if I did 'cuz I'm not a puss. <br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 05:37 PM

that's nice that your mom would tell you. i'll bet someone else's mom would cry and just pray harder and hold it inside. no need to put her through that.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 05:51 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>There are at least 3 of you here that have different names for MC and MM.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Just to come clean if it hasn't been obvious. Polymerase and Luciferase are one in the same and neither look like Jill Wagner.<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 06:24 PM

"Polymerase and Luciferase are one in the same"<br>I think that was fairly obvious from the get go. <br><br>and neither look like Jill Wagner.<br>I don't know what you look like but this is much more obvious than the first statement.<br>If you come close to looking like Jill...nope, I'm not going to go there.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Parallels - 05/22/07 06:34 PM

"Polymerase and Luciferase are one in the same"<br><br><br>he's such a kinetic show-off !! <br><br><br>he, he ,he<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Parallels - 06/07/07 06:39 PM

well, i guess i know why i was able to buy parallels at such a nice discount.<br><br>parallels 3 is now out. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>With the latest version of Parallels, you can:<br><br> * Use Windows and Mac OS X at the same time…without rebooting<br> * Run Windows programs like native Mac applications with Parallels Coherence<br> * New! Open Windows files with Mac programs and Mac files in Windows programs with Parallels SmartSelect<br> * Share files and folders between Windows and Mac OS X<br> * New! Browse through Windows folders and access files without launching Windows with Parallels Explorer<br> * New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics<br> * Achieve maximum performance by leveraging Intel® Virtualization Technology<br> * New! Protect your Windows with Parallels Snapshots<br> * Migrate your entire existing PC to your Mac with Parallels Transporter<br> * And more<p><hr></blockquote><p>man, if i had known they were this close, i would have waited 3 weeks and just bought the new version rather than needing to spend another $49 to upgrade. i suck like that. <br><br>EDIT: i just learned that folks who purchased after May 1st will get a free upgrade. that's me. whew.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FSM on 06/07/07 10:30 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: Parallels - 06/07/07 06:43 PM

At least you got a discount and a free upgrade. I was just trying to buy it (at full price) and the server just wouldn't go anywhere after I entered my details.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Parallels - 06/07/07 07:12 PM

So Parallels can do all that? I thought that was a 3rd party software called Unity.<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 06/07/07 07:30 PM

you're right. but that's what parallels 3 does now -- the video just wasn't it.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 04:31 AM

How does the standard Parallels installation work, anyway? Let's say I have one large unpartitioned drive and I'd like to keep the Windows stuff somewhat segregated- how does one go about it?<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 05:03 AM

i took my virtual PC installation from my G5 and found a particular file (the actual windows part) and copied it and placed it wherever i wanted on my Macbook. so you could place it on your participation, i'd guess. in the new Parallels, you can mix it all together so i am sure you can just put things on the participation for windows and be all set.<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 06:16 AM

I essentially had my Windows XP installation in an 8GB file which acted as a VM Hard Disk Image recognised by Parallels. Alternatively you could use an actual partition which you may have set-up with BootCamp as the installation you wish to use. Once you have Parallels/Windows running you can drag and drop from within the window to your desktop or other location (and vice-versa).<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 06:35 AM

So you install Parallels first and then it becomes obvious how to go about installing Windows?<br><br>

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 06:48 AM

Yes. You install Parallels first and then you can take a guided installation option. You should give it a try if you are interested. They provide you with a 15 day fully-functioning trial. <br><br>

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 06:54 AM

Yeah, I snagged it already from the site - got an old copy of Windows around here somewhere...<br><br>I'm going to wipe my MBP when Leopard comes out anyway, so now would be a good time to play & mess around with stuff I can always delete later anyway...<br><br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Parallels - 06/08/07 10:44 AM

Installing Windows in Parallels is actually easier than installing it on a regular PC. They take care of a lot of stuff for you. <br><br>