Parallels on intel iMac

Posted by: JonnyCat

Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 03:35 PM

Basically it's Virtual PC on the intel iMac. Works great - still in beta stage. A little rough around the edges when it comes to documentation. Would be real easy to install if it came bundled with Windows like Virtual PC did. Sound card doesn't seem to work in Win98 but it looks like Win2K and better it works. The switching back and forth between Windows and OS X is a bit goofy, I'm sure they'll clean it up before release.<br><br>Installed Windows 98 SE, runs in a window, it seems pretty responsive. I like this solution better than Apple's boot camp which requires a reboot and Windows XP. Now have to dig up the Win2K disks somewhere and install Win2K. Will install Red Hat as well.<br><br>Boot camp is probably better for gaming, but for Office and business applications I think Parallels will do the job just great.<br><br>http://parallels.com<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 03:46 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Now have to dig up the Win2K disks somewhere and install Win2K<p><hr></blockquote><p>You could have Win98 SE, Win2K AND WinXP all on the same machine. Just imagine the numbers of different viruses that machine could attract! <br><br>

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 03:56 PM

Probably wouldn't even have to connect to the Internet - they probably would spontaneously start infecting each other without any external help needed.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 04:02 PM

After all these years you could prove Louis Pasteur wrong... spontaneous generation is real! <br><br>

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 04:04 PM

Update: Red Hat Fedora Core installed in 15 minutes. Up and running and sound works.<br><br>Compared to Win 98: The better part of a day installing, configuring, updating, rebooting, etc.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 07:52 PM

Your on a roll , don't stop now try Win 95 next <br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/28/06 10:36 PM

Hey, you can run Win 3.1 and dos 6.33 on it too! What a shame I don't have any sirius-formatted floppies any more... it's like regression therapy. Seriously, though, this is finally going to free me from the pc sat on my desk - I have to keep it to run Sage Accounting/Payroll for the charity I'm treasurer for, as VPC is just too slow on my tibook 400MHz - but I'm getting an intel iMac this week. God help me...<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: cesrivas

Re: Parallels on intel iMac - 04/29/06 08:20 PM

hey, beta 6 is out ... smile enjoy!<br><br>----<br>:) "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." - Obi-Wan Kenobi